You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Persona - Paint Brush/Colour Replacement Tool Error ?

Hi

I have noticed that when I attempted to paint white onto an inverted layer (such as Vibrance or unsharp mask, both with settings that would be clearly noticeable) to reveal effect using the paint brush, nothing happens. Using the flood fill tool does have the expected effect of fully revealing/hiding the masked layer by using white/black as expected. I then spotted that if I selected the colour replacement tool instead of paint brush, the painting works. Has the new code for 1.10.4 accidently pointed the tool selection buttons to the wrong tool actions in this UI group? I am using the Windows 10 version.

4 hours ago, OWBrooke said:

Has the new code for 1.10.4 accidently pointed the tool selection buttons to the wrong tool

I don't think so, it works for me. I'd start with a new basic brush and ensure all of the options in the Context bar are at 100% - opacity, flow, hardness

vibrance.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Many thanks for the quick reply. It works for me too now!

I think this is an example of an issue I have noticed several times over the last 3 years. That is certain actions become unresponsive after a period of working time. The main UI will enable saving, and usually exiting the app and restarting enables functionality to become available again. This time employing the age old "have you tried turning the PC on and off again" solution resolved the problem. I do also use the hardware gpu acceleration.

It looks like that after working for several hours, resources are consumed and worker threads can not be spawned or sit in deep queues from which there is no return. I noted the disk was working hard throughout and perhaps having apps like Adobe Bridge open at the same time doesn't help with available resources and results in a lot of disk IO. I was also working late a night, the time when software has a need to phone home to the mother ship and start doing updates.

I appreciate this is a sticky issue to replicate and resolve by the development team and which may have more to do with my hardware than the software, there is a work around which is fine for me. Perhaps my observations on what will respond and what doesn't is of some help for debugging, nice job for a summer student with an instrumented code build. Or perhaps I just need a newer PC.

Some detailed advice on the settings to use on the hardware acceleration dialogue would be useful perhaps?

Also is there a indicator that shows how the app is performing or can task manager provide clues?