You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extended functionality for Paste Inside

I think it might be nice if the Paste Inside functionality could be extended to paste the item on the clipboard into every selected object, rather than just one – see attached image for an example.

We could have two options, Paste Inside (existing functionality) and Paste Inside All (new functionality).

The pasted object would have to be centred within each selected layer for it to be of any use.

I haven’t put a lot of thought into the ramifications of this, and so I don’t know what problems it could cause, but I think it might be a nice addition which could come in handy sometimes, if it will work nicely and not break other things.

Just thought I’d bring it up – not a big deal.

This thread asks about a similar thing but it wasn’t a request: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/78022-ad-paste-inside-in-multiple-shapepath/
This thread is for a similar, but slightly different, request: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/87608-paste-inside-centred/
There are various threads about pasting into groups but that’s not what this request is about.

Screenshot 2021-11-09 133259.png

I can’t watch the video (for some reason my browser says it’s corrupt) but a Paste Replace function may be useful from the sound of the name, as long as it replaces all of the selected objects.
One issue that comes to mind with a Paste Replace is whether the pasted objects should be resized to ‘match’ the original selected objects sizes.
I guess that’s something that would need working out if such a function was to be added at some point.

Quite possibly – I’ve not had the pleasure of using that myself yet – but, since the existing Paste Inside functionality is in all the applications, I was thinking about extended functionality that would work in all of them, not just Publisher.

Having said that, anyone looking for similar functionality to what I have suggested may find that the Data Merge works nicely for them so it was worth mentioning.

I think this may be starting to go a little ‘off-topic’ now.
It’s a similar area but this maybe expanding on things a bit too much for this simple request.
All this request is for is to be able to Paste Inside multiple objects at the same time.
Any other requests for extensions to the functionality should probably be in their own thread.

• 1 month later...