You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo very slow #2

Latest version -- Ap only (not designer) -- Win10 -- photo spec custom built Pc
I have been having problems with Ap not working as it used to. I feel , but cannot be certain the slowness started after the last big upgrade.

Today; I did an advanced uninstall with Revo however Ap was still usable . Took the Win10 PC to the computer repairer who built the heavy photo spec machine for me about 18 months ago  . He told me it was very unusual for Revo to leave anything behind.
He was able to remove AP so I could start again from a new download however; I didn't try to open Ap again before downloaded Affinity Photo from the serif.com site
Was told AP was already install (??) . 
Opened Ap and everything was still there including the files in "open recent" , brushes /  library (??)

Naturally; the problems are still there --- the main one being the brush tool not keeping up with the curser when used on a mask, or layers based dodge and burn. Doesn't seem to be any problems using the programmed based burn tool at 100% opacity .

There doesn't seem to be any problems with other Apps like Lightroom 5 

So what is happening? How to fix?
In the mean time I will do another uninstall including old downloads .

Final question; were do I find my affinity licence numbers ?

Cheers and thank you for your thoughts 

UPDATE : uninstalled fully using Revo uninstaller and Win 10 uninstall because the apps was still there (???)
Deleted all down loads of the app.
Downloaded again -- was expecting to have a clean slate version of Affinity Photo but that didn't happen (??)
Brush still not working as it used to 
Frustrated me really needs a fix --- might try the rum bottle even though that never has worked :)

Curious to know what your machine specification is (RAM, CPU and what type of disk drive)....and some details of the file you're working on: resolution, bit depth, number of different layers and filters?

On my old machine, I noticed a bit of a lag similar to the one you mention when working on very large and complex files with many filters and layers. Very complex files are literally going to chew through RAM and if your machine is short on RAM and swapping to disk, this will slow things down enormously.

2 hours ago, ianrb said:

Opened Ap and everything was still there including the files in "open recent" , brushes /  library (??)

Next time you uninstall, right after uninstalling Right-Click on the Start Menu, select Run. Then type in or copy/paste the following:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0

This is where all the settings are stored, all the *.propcol files. For a complete clean, uninstall, the 1.0 Folder needs to be renamed or deleted. For some reason the uninstallers, do not delete them. So when you install, Affinity will build a new one. Of course deleting the folder, you will loose all your downloaded brushes, assets, templates, ect. You should back those up first.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

FIXED! My computer guru said there is a bug when an uninstall is done and that bug does not, or did not  allow for a re-install as a clean slate of Affinity Photo  . But naturally the clean slate opens up so many other dramas before the app is back to the way I had it before all the **** . Brushes and macros where backed up but there is so much that now needs to be set on the fly :( . 

Would be so helpful if tools and tool bars could be set, saved , and even shared like macros and brushes ;) 
For me; much of this computer stuff is like so many driving a car ; turn wheel to go left/right ; left/right foot stops/goes ; and that flashing lights means fuel is needed . After that they have no idea what's so ever especially if something is set, done, and forgotten .

The brushing problem seems to have been fixed  with affinity running as a default window; and fixed as I have tried to do for some mouths :( . But because the program would not full uninstall I was always locked into the old slow program . Even Phil had problems doing a full uninstall and he still does not understand the how and why of it . 

If it wasn't such a good program I would likely not have bothered for this long . Fortunately my AP uses are not about work $$ 
Tomorrow is other day :)

20 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Next time you uninstall, right after uninstalling Right-Click on the Start Menu, select Run. Then type in or copy/paste the following:

Thanks Ron, not sure I want or need to uninstall again . Have tried to do just that quite a few times over the past months 
My computer guru said we should not have to do all that after Revo uninstall . He deleted the empty folders and one took a long time to delete so he guessing that was 'the problem' . Even his Pro version of Revo wouldn't remove it 

21 hours ago, rvst said:

Curious to know what your machine specification is (RAM, CPU and what type of disk drive)....and some details of the file you're working on: resolution, bit depth, number of different layers and filters?

all way over my head rvst . All I know is I asked for and searched for the specs I needed; took those to Phil who added his ideas before making the computer that up to a few months ago has had no problems doing everything I needed from Affinity photos . Likely speced way over my happy snap photos needs . 
Cheers mate --- thank you for your input