You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm used to working with PagePlus X6.  Affinity Designer is so different. How do I draw a rectangle and adjust its line width and style (solid line, dashed line etc.)?

OK I followed everyone's advice, it prints out to the line thickness I set it to, but on the drawing it only shows it as a very thin line. How do I get it to show on the drawing with the set line thickness?

Edited by Don Roberts
additional question

Draw the rectangle with the Rectangle Tool. Set the line properties using the Stroke panel.

(There are other ways to do this but this should get you started.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Don. :)

Affinity Designer has a large selection of Shape Tools (like the QuickShapes in PagePlus, but with added features). As in PP, you’ll find them on a flyout in the tools on the left-hand side of the workspace. Drag out a rectangle with the Rectangle Tool and then go to the Transform panel on the right — like the Transform tab in PP — to adjust its position and dimensions precisely.

As @R C-R posted while I was typing this, go to the Stroke panel to set the line properties.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I''m used to working with PagePlus X6.

Was there a reason you chose Affinity Designer (successor to DrawPlus) over Affinity Publisher (successor to PagePlus)?

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

• Staff

@Don Roberts

18 hours ago, Don Roberts said:

OK I followed everyone's advice, it prints out to the line thickness I set it to, but on the drawing it only shows it as a very thin line. How do I get it to show on the drawing with the set line thickness?

Can I suggest that you continue the conversation by adding your own reply (at the bottom of the thread) rather than editing your first post to change the question. Only the very observant would spot that the post had changed, so you will not get new replies if you edit the post.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

18 hours ago, Don Roberts said:

I'm used to working with PagePlus X6.  Affinity Designer is so different. How do I draw a rectangle and adjust its line width and style (solid line, dashed line etc.)?

I too come from PP X6 however since I am with Affinity, I have not looked back. I work on daily basis with APUB and overall it is very very good product for what it was designed for. In fact the trio are very intuitive and have had no training apart from watching a few videos.

I am surprised about your comments on the star of the 3 Affinity Designer as it is the easiest of the 3. Trust once you learn where everything is, you will NEVER go back to PP or anything else for that matter.

Just try it a bit longer and watch some of the videos on the basics and you will love them!

20 hours ago, Don Roberts said:

11 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

Looks like you are in outline view mode

Please see Affinity Designer Help: Viewing

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)