You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unpredictable stroke artifices in brush tool. (split from iPad beta)

Hello,

I think I'm experiencing the same kind of problem. I'm only just trying out Affinity Designer for the first time (3 days left), and I've already spend hours to try to find the right settings for a brush to be able to write with it like a real brushpen (for handlettering). As soon as I set the size variance, to create these beautiful thick and thin lines, the lines turn out kind of frayed and not smooth. I've literaly tried every option to see if I could fix this, but I keep running into the same problem. 

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Agf44Dz9Bsu-yXaWKXrt0Hsjxjsk?e=7Q6ot6

I hope someone can tell me what I might be doing wrong or if this is a problem within the program. 

• Staff

Hi marlies09,

It looks like you're curves have the pressure all over the place. You can check the pressure curve on the Stroke Panel and use it to modify the pressure along a curve. However without your document its hard to say - are you able to attach the document shown in the screenshot?

You can find some more information about the Stroke's Pressure Panel here:
https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/CurvesShapes/draw_pencilLines.html

There are some nice handwriting raster brushes, I think. But in the discussions I've seen about the vector brushes, no one has been happy with the results yet that I've seen, and there are some Feature Requests for better calligraphic vector brush support in Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sean P,

Thanks for your respons and the extra info. I could probably use a whole tutorial video on this topic, I reckon.. 🙂

I'm totally new to digital drawing, so to find the right settings for these brushpens is quite a struggle. I'm trying to recreate my real life brushpen, so that a downward stroke is thick and an upward stroke is thin. In Pixel Persona this works quite well, but in Designer Persona I can't seem to figure it out.

Also I keep getting these weird hitches in the lines, especially when I use the stabiliser. I would love to understand more about how this works with those pressure points. 

Thanks again!

Test brushpen.afdesign