You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White Lines in Export

Using Affinity Photo in Windows 10 and I am having recurring issues with the export. 

Horizontal white lines / dashes are appearing on the export files.  How many there are and where they appear seems to be random (see screenshot).  It occurs on whatever file type I use - PNG, JPEG or TIFF (not PDF, but PDF files are not much use to me!).  I have varied the export quality and the same problem continues.

The lines appear regardless of what software I use to view the files on (Affinity, Photo, Windows photo viewer), although in some they become black lines instead of white.

The original Affinity file is fine.  I have varied using the files on an external hard drive and on my laptop (I also deleted a lot of files to create space on my laptop, in case that was the issue).  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Affinity Photo.  The problem has only begun within the last week or so, which coincides with later Affinity Photo versions.  Nothing else in the help pages, so just me?!  I don't have an alternative laptop / PC to try with at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

Screenshot 2021-11-08 111252.jpg

Goto

Edit > Preferences > Performance 

and untick Hardware Acceleration if enabled

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 3 months later...
On 11/9/2021 at 10:20 AM, Chris B said:

@MarkHArt can you tell us what graphics cards and drivers you have please?

I am having the same problem and I have to change a lot of files that I had exported, as it happened to the user who created this theme, the lines are random. In some images yes in others not, some larger and others smaller and the position is also totally random.

I found this topic because I was desperate and the 3-4 images I exported after unchecking hardware acceleration seem to no longer have that problem.

In my case I am working on W11 and my graphics is the Intel Iris Xe is the integrated graphics of an i7 11th Generation for laptops (in case it can help you to solve the problem)

• 3 months later...

I would like to chime in and say that this fix posted by Carl123 helped me as I was having the same issues with lines appearing in exported jpeg images. Thank you Carl123!!!

The computer I am using is a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 running Windows 11 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G4 CPU @ 1.10GHz   1.50 GHz) 8gb Ram. 

• 3 weeks later...

This 'work around' worked for me as well. But as a busy health professional, I didn't have time to scour the forums initially and instead resorted to alternate image editors until I had time to research the potential issue. Perhaps there should be a disclaimer, warning or perhaps hardware acceleration should be disabled by default, allowing the user to enable hardware acceleration with said-caveat. 

IMG_2733.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Same thing happens to me but thankfully disabling hardware acceleration fixes the issue! It happens whether PNG or JPG export and it doesn't happen 100% of the time. I have the Intel Core i5-1135G7 and Iris Xe graphics with Windows 10.

Happy to help diagnose this issue or submit any logs. Just let me know. Thanks!

FTF-TribalNet-2022-360.jpg

FTF-TribalNet-2022-360.png

• 2 weeks later...

We've got several machines in the office with this problem too... could do with it being sorted without resorting to crippling the hardware acceleration.  Can export be switched to software rendering without affecting the rest of the app?

Similar specs, drivers all up to date:

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz   1.69 GHz

16GB RAM

Intel Iris Xe - driver version 30.0.101.1692

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, frebvod said:

Well...thanks for this workaround, I guess, but why has this not been fixed yet? I'm guessing it'll never be fixed on v1. This still a problem on v2?

The problem is not the software itself, but rather the combination of CPU, maninboard and GPU. And since there are countless possibilities here, it is simply impossible to name the error devil.
And even worse, manufacturing tolerances of the components can once again lead to an inexplicable error pattern. So it can be that with the same device configuration, the error occurs with one device and not with others.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!