You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select/deselect not part of protocol?

Hi,

is there any way to NOT have the select/deselect command included in the protocol? I have tried to get used to that ever since I switched from Indesign, and it looks like I can’t.

For example, when I go back in history (protocol) to undo something to just have a look like it looked before and then deselect the current object to really have a proper look without disturbing blue lines around it, I can’t redo that because the protocol logged the deselect as an action. So whatever changes I did, I have to do them again.

I doesn’t make any sense to me why select/deselect should be part of the protocol at all. Or didn’t I get something here?

Best,
Johannes

9 minutes ago, rumo said:

then deselect the current object to really have a proper look without disturbing blue lines around it,

Temporarily press the space bar to hide the "disturbing blue lines". History is not affected

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

44 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Temporarily press the space bar to hide the "disturbing blue lines". History is not affected

Thanks mate! Never thought of this, but it definitely is a better workaround (there could still be an option though).

If you have gone back in the History, and you do something that adds a new entry to the History, you should see a branching icon added to the History entry that you were on previously. This allows you to toggle between the current History and an alternative future. Just click it, and you should be back to the version of History you were in before.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you have gone back in the History, and you do something that adds a new entry to the History, you should see a branching icon added to the History entry that you were on previously. This allows you to toggle between the current History and an alternative future. Just click it, and you should be back to the version of History you were in before.

That’s a feature not easy to spot. I’d still like an option to have select/deselect not logged by the timeline, but the ability to branch the protocol is a completely different approach. I have to try and test it. Thanks Walt!

You're welcome. You can get more info in the Help, if you search it for history.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can get more info in the Help, if you search it for history.

Or in this case, Protokoll. ;)

Das Panel „Protokoll“

Arbeiten mit Rückgängig, Wiederholen und Protokoll

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)