You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

6 minutes ago, DelN said:

I love the artwork of Gustave Doré. Arthur Rackham too... and I like Richard Corben's work. I love Giger. I had the book he reased when "Alien' came out with lots of his artwork in. Magical! Do you know the comic books featuring the character RanXerox. Fabulous artwork by Tanino Liberatore. Exciting, but gory.. He looked like Bruce Willis...🙂 'Barbarella' artist Jean-Claude Forrest too...

I will check these out.. Ah Alien! there was certainly some atmosphere there!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

8 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

Hi

Painting Style and atmosphere is something I need to work on...Gustave Doré has certainly captured it. I had a look though some of the artists (its only about 100) I was following on Artstation..here are a few (Longque Chen, Caanan White, Torben Weit, Yann Le Guen, (Yuumei) Wenqing Yan, Brian J Murphy, James Daly, Tonton Revolver, Jenny Brozek, Vincent Bryant, Jenny Brewer, Vincent Chu, Emilie Vaccarini-Francis)

Atmosphere and depth. especially working with vectors can be difficult to achieve. Using greys helps with a combination of gradient mapping. Block colour overlays and mixing blending modes. but not always successful. 

Here is an example for what I mean, of an experiment with a copper engraving look. It is inspired by an artist (can't remember his name at the moment) who made a print graphic that consisted of only one stroke, starting as a spiral from one eye in a portrait of Jesus Christ in that case. I chose a more profane motif from Pexels for this experiment. I created the spiral pattern in Inkscape (it has a spiral tool), refined it in Photo and applied it to the image in Photo also. Still not perfect, but a good start, I think.

Spiral-Stich.jpg.017b68da7c7e78c7ba1b746dacfbeac9.jpg

2 minutes ago, DelN said:

Hi StuartRc,

Thank you so much. I will download them and take a look. I love hearing about the creative process that creative people go through to get their finished product. 

Do you know of the plant creating software 'PlantFactory' by e-on software? It's truly amazing. Unfortunately, they went the way of Adobe and forced users to rent their software... 

Del

I Hadn't. There are a few for Blender that are impressive.. along a similar theme...now that you can import .SVG to Grease Pencil. recreating the trees in Blender is something that I should consider...unfortunately I haven't finished the toolkits yet.. 2 more to go! and the moss!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

5 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Here is an example for what I mean, of an experiment with a copper engraving look. It is inspired by an artist (can't remember his name at the moment) who made a print graphic that consisted of only one stroke, starting as a spiral from one eye in a portrait of Jesus Christ in that case. I chose a more profane motif from Pexels for this experiment. I created the spiral pattern in Inkscape (it has a spiral tool), refined it in Photo and applied it to the image in Photo also. Still not perfect, but a good start, I think.

Spiral-Stich.jpg.017b68da7c7e78c7ba1b746dacfbeac9.jpg

Nice!..looks like a lot of work to manually create something like this..Reminded me of this resource here

16 minutes ago, DelN said:

I love the artwork of Gustave Doré. Arthur Rackham too... and I like Richard Corben's work. I love Giger. I had the book he reased when "Alien' came out with lots of his artwork in. Magical! Do you know the comic books featuring the character RanXerox. Fabulous artwork by Tanino Liberatore. Exciting, but gory.. He looked like Bruce Willis...🙂 'Barbarella' artist Jean-Claude Forrest too...

Yes, Giger is still one of my biggest heros. And "Alien" one of my favorite movies. Of course I also have "Giger's Alien". Great book! And both "Necronomicom" picture-books and some more too. Unfortunately I know "RanXerox" only by name. Never read it. Two of my other favorite comic artists are Will Eisner ("The Spirit") and Herman Huppen ("Andy Morgan", "Jeremiah", "The Towers of Bos Maurie"). Eisner was a very movie-like story-teller too. His "Spirit" was a sort of Comic Noir, but often also very funny. Corben's biggest idol, as he confessed. And Herman sometimes used very movie-like sequences in his very epic comics too, and was a brilliant illustrator, almost as brilliant as Moebius, but not so crazy.

56 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

Nice!..looks like a lot of work to manually create something like this..Reminded me of this resource here

The most work is to create the pattern. The point is that it needs to be blurred in a special way,  so that the different brightness values of the strokes are computed with the ones of the image if you apply a blend mode to it. That results in the varying thicknesses of the stroke(s), like with a pressure-sensitive stylus.

I got the idea for this method some time ago from a Photoshop Tutorial on TextureLabs.org. But it needed some experiments to find a way to do it with Affinity Photo, because some functions are not the same.

Artstation is an interesting hint. Will explore it a bit. Looks very good. Thanx for that!

Edit: One additional hint for people who want to learn better anatomic drawing, not only for comics. Burne Hogarth, the comic artist who illustrated the legendary "Tarzan" comics (from the 1930es to the 1950es), published some books about it that are the best stuff about this topic that I know. His illustrations always look very dynamic and vivid. Absolutely recommended!

Edit: Here is another sample of the same image with another pattern.

Wolken-Stich.jpg.4afff527a3075d0df53ad1cc8ec94976.jpg

@iconoclast That’s really cool results! Reminds me of “halftoner by studio2am” (combined with a posterize layer) which my partner is using extensively in their work. You’re right about blurs being very important to the final result when using similar techniques to “halftoner” (there are myriads of them available for Adobe, very few for Affinity so far unfortunately; while they can be imported to Affinity software, it’s little customization available because scripts cannot work outside Adobe). Thanks for sharing with us!

I apologize for disrupting your fantastic giveaway @StuartRc ; thank you for your great effort (again!).

Edited by iuli
Spelling

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

Wow! Those faces are amazing...  What you describe reminds me a little of the complexity of photography and painting Warhol had to go through to create his final 'portrait' art pieces in the 60s and 70s. They were far from the simple portrait paintings that people assumed them to be.

Burne Hogarth's work reminds me a little of the sci-fi and fantasy book cover artist Frank Frazetta. I recommend checking his work out. it's exquisite! His 'Egyptian Queen' sold for $5.4 million! He did the Conan artwork and Tarzan. I bought many sci-fi and fantasy books purely for the cover alone... Ha-ha! And many of them were never as good as the cover either...😃

3 minutes ago, iuli said:

@iconoclast That’s really cool results! Reminds of “halftoner by studio2am” (combined with a posterize layer) which my partner is using extensively in their work. You’re right about blurs being very important to the final result when using similar techniques to “halftoner” (there are myriads of them available for Adobe, very little for Affinity so far unfortunately; while they can be imported to Affinity software, it’s little customization available because scripts cannot work outside Adobe). Thanks for sharing with us!

I apologize for disrupting your fantastic giveaway @StuartRc ; thank you for your great effort (again!).

Hi iuli!

Thanks for the hint. Never heard of Halftoner. I remember that I had a free Photoshop Plugin about 10 years ago, that turned images into halftones. Don't remember its name. But as far as I remember, it was similar to Photos Halftones filter. So obsolete today anyway. This kind of halftones filters are pretty cool. But the varying stroke thickness is only one thing. If you look at f.e. Doré's illustrations, you can see that he was also playing with the directions of the strokes. For example the background (sky) had mostly horizontal strokes, while the strokes the shapes of persons and things in the foreground were modelled with followed their plastic forms. That is a thing I'd like to do too. I think I will need several layers and masks and different patterns for it. Will still need a lot of fiddling. But that's life!

7 minutes ago, DelN said:

Wow! Those faces are amazing...  What you describe reminds me a little of the complexity of photography and painting Warhol had to go through to create his final 'portrait' art pieces in the 60s and 70s. They were far from the simple portrait paintings that people assumed them to be.

Burne Hogarth's work reminds me a little of the sci-fi and fantasy book cover artist Frank Frazetta. I recommend checking his work out. it's exquisite! His 'Egyptian Queen' sold for $5.4 million! He did the Conan artwork and Tarzan. I bought many sci-fi and fantasy books purely for the cover alone... Ha-ha! And many of them were never as good as the cover either...😃

Thanks! But to be clear, the great photo of the man is not my work. I only used it to apply my patterns to it.

Yeah, Frazetta also is one of my heros. Much better than Boris Vallejo, if you'd ask me. I love his somehow fierce, rough and wild style (f.e.the unbelievable "Death Dealer" paintings). Even he was not so perfect in anatomy as Hogarth was. But he was really great. I have two picture books with works from Frazetta. Definitely my favorite Fantasy painter.

Yes, I had realised you applied your patterns to the face of the old man. And yes, it does remind me of Halftoner by Studio 2am, but also of the queen's face on a UK banknote. In the first one, my eye is pulled in to the old man's eye, whereas in the second one, my eye travels to study the left side of his face, at the detail there...

Boris Vallejo. Yes, I had forgotten about him. Yes, his artwork is amazing, much like Frazetta

Another artist that inspires me is Giovanni Battista Piranesi (1720-78). 'The Drawbridge' etching from the 'The Imaginary Prisons' series is amazing. I used to find his architectural drawings (nightmares, really) fascinating yet very disturbing. A bit like M.C. Escher illusion art pieces...

1 minute ago, DelN said:

Yes, I had realised you applied your patterns to the face of the old man. And yes, it does remind me of Halftoner by Studio 2am, but also of the queen's face on a UK banknote. In the first one, my eye is pulled in to the old man's eye, whereas in the second one, my eye travels to study the left side of his face, at the detail there...

Boris Vallejo. Yes, I had forgotten about him. Yes, his artwork is amazing, much like Frazetta

Another artist that inspires me is Giovanni Battista Piranesi (1720-78). 'The Drawbridge' etching from the 'The Imaginary Prisons' series is amazing. I used to find his architectural drawings (nightmares, really) fascinating yet very disturbing. A bit like M.C. Escher illusion art pieces...

OK, you unmasked me, I'm trying to make my own banknotes. 😄

The idea for the second pattern came indeed from banknotes. It is a kind of cloud. I created it in Designer with the Cloud Tool (a bit modified), and it was a lot of work, because I had to replicate every stroke and transform it by copying the same factor into the Transform panel one by one. Ctrl+ J alone doesn't work, because you get shrinking strokes and spaces, the more the more often you press Ctrl + J. The center of the cloud, by the way, is near the right corner of the image. Seemed to be the best place for it, because it is a bit obstrusive and disturbing, and the pattern is not big enough to place it outside the image.

I prefer Frazetta, because his paintings are so full of grim power. Vallejo's paintings look brilliant, but so slick and inanimate. In fact, he told in an interview I read in a magazine, that he traces the basic drawings for his paintings from photographs he shoots before he starts painting. That might explain why the figures on his paintings look so static. And by the way, most of his heros look like himself, because he is his favorite model.

Yes, Piranesi is really cool. I also have a picture book of his work, and it is very interesting. Seems that his impossible architecture was the result of an accident first. And then he took a fancy to it.

Ha-ha! That's why it has a banknote kind of look. I'll have to check out the Cloud Tool... I didn't know that Piranesi began his architectural sketches from an accident. Really fascinating stuff...

I read a great book recently called 'Piranesi' by Susanna Clarke, which was quite disturbing, about a guy called Piranesi trapped In the nightmare realm of the artist. I really enjoyed it, and it made me revisit his artwork, which reminds me of a dream world. I've been writing my dreams down and take the locations I find myself in and use them in my writing and my pen & ink illustrations. Time in dreams differs greatly from reality. You can drift off to sleep for a few minutes on waking and the dream can be set over weeks and even months - even though you have only been asleep for a few minutes. I believe dreams are an untapped resource for inspiration and creativity... a bit like the Akashic records... Distance too. You can see across a lake and be looking at a tree in the distance, yet be seeing it close up at the same time, the leaf texture, the veins. Its surreal. And flying dreams... they are amazing!

I've been creating smoky, misty brushes in Affinity Photo today. I think they have come out quite good, moody and atmospheric, creepy... believe it or not, made from images of a cliff face!  Weird, eh?

13 minutes ago, DelN said:

Ha-ha! That's why it has a banknote kind of look. I'll have to check out the Cloud Tool... I didn't know that Piranesi began his architectural sketches from an accident. Really fascinating stuff...

I read a great book recently called 'Piranesi' by Susanna Clarke, which was quite disturbing, about a guy called Piranesi trapped In the nightmare realm of the artist. I really enjoyed it, and it made me revisit his artwork, which reminds me of a dream world. I've been writing my dreams down and take the locations I find myself in and use them in my writing and my pen & ink illustrations. Time in dreams differs greatly from reality. You can drift off to sleep for a few minutes on waking and the dream can be set over weeks and even months - even though you have only been asleep for a few minutes. I believe dreams are an untapped resource for inspiration and creativity... a bit like the Akashic records... Distance too. You can see across a lake and be looking at a tree in the distance, yet be seeing it close up at the same time, the leaf texture, the veins. Its surreal. And flying dreams... they are amazing!

I've been creating smoky, misty brushes in Affinity Photo today. I think they have come out quite good, moody and atmospheric, creepy... believe it or not, made from images of a cliff face!  Weird, eh?

I tested out the brush editor during the last few weeks too and it is really amazing what you can do with all the functions. At least in Photo. The Brush Editor of Designer is a little bit limited and buggy. Will you share your brushes with us?

Dreams are really an interesting topic. I had many fantastic dreams in my youth. Of course I still dream at night even today, but it is mainly a chaotic mess I can't remember longer than a few minutes when I wake up. Only fragments. When I was young I had also some fascinating nightmares I still remember. I loved that stuff, because I was a fan of Horror stories, already in my early years. And my dreams were of course inspiration for some paintings and stories. I believe that dreaming is a kind of defragmentation of the hard disc in our heads. Old data gets organized in a new order, fragments of it show up to our inner senses. Redundant and useless data gets deleted. others are being stored...

I don't know the book you are talking about, sounds very interesting, but do you know the "Dreamquest for the unknown Kadath" by H. P. Lovecraft? Very interesting, weird and creepy. And a little bit sick, like everything Lovecraft wrote. There are also two short stories of Lovecraft related to it, called "The Silver Key" and "Through the Gates of the Silver Key", titles that indicate that there is a lot of symbolic behind the whole story. And a few other stories like "The Cats of Ulthar", "Celephais" and others that play in the Dream World. And Lovecraft also often aims at Theosophie. It plays an eminent role in "At the Mountains of Madness", "Call of Cthulhu" and the whole Cthulhu Myth. I'm not a big fan of esoteric and occult ideas, but it is interesting to explore and study Lovecraft's complex and weird world, especially if you compare it to his unlucky, messed up life. It is more a trip into Psychoanalysis for me, than into Philosophy, as he may have intended.

But I'm afraid we are badly off topic in the meantime. Hope we don't cause anger.

Yes, I read some Lovecraft in my youth, but not as much as you, it seems. I will have to revisit his writings. I found him fascinating and disturbing when I was a teenager.

And, yes, I will of course post some more brushes, but at the moment I haven't named them, which I will need to do, and select the better brushes (there are so many and I don't want to make the file size too large this time). I am still working on some 'Grass' brushes from images I took a few days ago.

I got quite carried away with it yesterday because although my selection of the individual blades of grass wasn't so good (as it was only a 'tester' brush), the brush I made was actually better for it, which got me thinking about other image brushes I created and how I could create similar version of them with less effort. Also, by selecting one or two of the seamless images I created in Painter, and using them as textures in Affinity Photo, the brushes became ethereal, ghostly, and if I spaced the brush dabs correctly, when I painted with them, the actual brush strokes I thought resembled a kind of organic mist and fog, especially if I painted the brush strokes on different layers.

Once I have named the new 'Mist and Fog' brushes and gathered them together, exported them as a brush category and have created and named the individual brush example strokes, I will be posting them in the Affinity forum. I'll also post the 'tester' forest image I created to see what they look like in a scene. Overall, I am really happy with them but there are far too many of them and too many variations, also the 'Grass' brushes that I created from the photos I took came out so good that I kept playing with those instead. At some point I will upload these too. I have already started creating the example 'Mist and Fog' file with brush dab and strokes and the brush names but I have some older brushes to add to it.

Well, we're back on track now. Affinity Photo is really amazing, eh? 

I'll locate and gather some more 'Mist and Fog' brushes and finish the example file and post them up in a few days...

• 2 weeks later...

Full Vector Components of Tree Toolkit [T5]
Assets for Tree 05

Tree Toolkit  T4 Kit 01@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T5 Kit 02@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T5 Kit 03@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T5 Kit 04@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T5 Kit 05@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T5 Kit 06@0.25x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Full Vector Components of Tree Toolkit [T6]
Assets for Tree 06

Tree Toolkit  T6 Kit 01@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T6 Kit 02@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T6 Kit 03@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T6 Kit 04@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T6 Kit 05@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T6 Kit 06@0.25x.jpg

• 1 month later...

Rock Bridges

Rocks and Pavements
Original Size 1000 x 1000mm (upload 2362 x 2362px)
Painted using Concept Painter Brushes and inkers.
Mixed raster and vector Elements

Untamed Rock Bridge@0.2x.jpg

1 minute ago, iconoclast said:

This looks amazing!

Many Thanks!
It is part of the Rock vector asset Toolkit which I have not completed yet!.. With a mix of the new Meadow Plant vector Toolkit (Lots of new plants and trees!)..

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 6:46 AM, StuartRc said:

Untamed
Untamed: 'When Animals Ruled the world' Challenge contribution

Could not participate directly in this challenge as it directly conflicted with Inktober but done one anyway....

Original size:1000mm x 500mm Raster 300dpi (not submission size)
upload 2362 x 1181 px

Untamed 01@0.2x.jpg

Love, love, love the style and color pallette!!! :27_sunglasses:

Win 11, ACER Predator PT516-51s, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz, RAM - as often as possible B|

AFFINITY DESIGNER 1.10.5.1342

AFFINITY PHOTO 1.10.5.1342

11 hours ago, Gee Whiz said:

Love, love, love the style and color pallette!!! :27_sunglasses:

Thanks!

I have added the Palette for the rock bridge image

Untamed-Rock Bridges.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Stromatolites
Original Size 800 x 300mm (upload size 2362 x 866px)
Mixed raster and vector Elements

Untamed-Coral Rocks@0.25x.jpg

Rock Toolkit R1
40 Vector Rock shapes for ink trace outlining
Created a vector based Rock Toolkit for outlining shapes that can be used for inking (or layouts!) or just as vectors

Rock Toolkit  R1 Kit 01@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T1 Kit 02@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T1 Kit 03@0.25x.jpg

Tree Toolkit  T1 Kit 04@0.25x.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Membrane Trees
Original Size 1000 x 400mm (upload size 2362 x 945px)
Again mixed raster and vector Elements

Untamed-Chilli Membrane Trees@0.2x.jpg