You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher: add a background image to a table cell

Hello everyone.

I would like to be able to easily insert images in place of the background colour of a cell.

How can I do this efficiently?

Thank you for your explanations.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Only you will know what you mean by "efficiently", of course. And only you know what you've already tried and rejected.

For me, the obvious choices are:

• File > Place
  • Drawing a rectangle within the cell and adding a Bitmap Fill using the Fill Tool.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Anto has the best solution. Bravo Anto.

I had done the same thing except that I had hung the pin in the cell itself which should contain the image; also, it was impossible for me to write anything. It is much better to hang it in another adjacent cell. With this procedure, you can even create an additional column that you will hide.

However, there is still a difficulty. It is very difficult to fit the image exactly into the cell, without any ‘white’ border, when this cell has a border (here in black), as can be seen at high magnification.

Ideally, therefore, the Insert Image function should be created in the cell, row, column, cell group or table.

table-background-image.png

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

10 minutes ago, anto said:

Click on cell without image and then it works. Or click on layer with table and use Frame text tool.

(This was an observation when I put the pin in the cell containing the image.)

Ideally, the image should be behind the black borders of the cell. I can’t do that. If I put it behind the board, it goes back in front of it as soon as I put a pin in it, and then the grid of the cells becomes unevenly thick.

The problem was that the text in the cell was centred on the vertical and horizontal. The simple fact of writing then moved the pin and therefore the image.

I see two possibilities to avoid this problem:

1. Put the text alignment to the left and top of the cell. Not good.
  2. Locate the pinning of the image in relation to the edges of the page.

It feels good when it finally works. Thank, Anto. 😀

🔴It became hopeless. The so-called translators of the French translation team have once again made a huge mistake. It's normal! Just using Google Translate and using it badly does not make one a translator.

They translated "Frame" as "Zone" (i.e. area) instead of "cadre". This obviously does not mean the same thing at all!

• 1 year later...