You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why does Affinity Publisher remove images when I apply the Master to all pages, after a couple changes?

Why does Affinity Publisher remove images when I apply the Master to all after a couple changes to the Master? 
Also when I add a pdf file to an existing file (adding pages to my book) and assign it its own Master and section, the original existing section formatting changes even though it is still assigned to its Master and its own section? 

10 hours ago, jwardzala said:

Why does Affinity Publisher remove images when I apply the Master to all after a couple changes to the Master? 

Were the missing images on the document pages (not on their master)? If yes, was the "Clear" and/or "Replace existing" option activated when applying the master?

10 hours ago, jwardzala said:

formatting changes even though it is still assigned to its Master

If you format the text style on a master page frame and edit this frame's content on a document page, e.g. fill with text or edit existing text, then a change to the text style done on the master page does not occur on the document page where the master frame got edited. Instead you would save the used text styles in the Text Styles panel and alter any change in its style editor dialog window. – As far I know sections are not related to any style but to page numbering only.

Do I understand right that you had some pages with master, e.g. page 1, 2, 3 with master A assigned, then you added a page 4 and assigned master B with the result of a text style change on pages 1-3? If yes, with what action did this change occur: when adding the page, or assigning a master to it, or placing the PDF on the new page?

Can you show a screenshot of your document + pages panel + layers panel + text style panel and a text frame selected which has a changed formatting? Or ideally, upload this or any affected sample document to the forum?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 hours ago, thomaso said:

Do I understand right that you had some pages with master, e.g. page 1, 2, 3 with master A assigned, then you added a page 4 and assigned master B with the result of a text style change on pages 1-3? If yes, with what action did this change occur: when adding the page, or assigning a master to it, or placing the PDF on the new page?

I was bringing in a pdf file with 25 pages assigned to Master B and was assigning them to Section 1. I was adding the pdf to the beginning of my book. I tried every way I could think of and every time it would mess up the 50 pages under Master A Section 2. Thank goodness for edit-delete. :)   I finally created a brand new Affinity Publisher file, assigning the 25 page pdf Master A and Section 1. Then I brought in that 25 page Affinity Publisher file into the 50 page Affinity file and everything was worked just fine.
It was the issue of bringing in a pdf. All is well now. 

Glad, you managed to get rid of the issue!

I am still curious whether I have misunderstood your posts (also to detect whether it's a lack of my English). Initially you said "formatting changes" and I understood text styles (though formatting may also concern text frame styles, e.g. background or stroke) – then you said "mess up the 50 pages", which I rather understand as confusion in the page order and/or incorrect half of a master in case of facing pages.

So I'd like to know what exactly happened visually when you added the pages at the beginning of your document? Did you add them as "Before Pages" or "Before Sections"? Did the added PDF & the existing .afpub possibly have a conflict with their Section definitions? Can you show a screenshot of the setting you used? Here a sample for adding a 2-page PDF at the beginning of a 439 pages .afpub, it just worked without issues:

168647667_addpagesformdocument.thumb.jpg.f6d46b8d7fb402aafa4bf493cc0110fd.jpg

10 hours ago, thomaso said:

So I'd like to know what exactly happened visually when you added the pages at the beginning of your document?

Firstly, Affinity keeps crashing and shutting down if I add or make changes too fast. Luckily it does recover the work.
Secondly I tried it every way possible and exactly as you show there and before sections and before pages. I spent a lot of time trying to get it to work. The only way it would work is when I converted the .pdf into a .afpub and added it that way.
When I said 'formatting' I meant it moved images and text all over each page. They were all in their frames. 
There was no conflict. I made sure of it. 
I am just happy that I found a way to make it work. 

36 minutes ago, jwardzala said:

The only way it would work is when I converted the .pdf into a .afpub and added it that way.
When I said 'formatting' I meant it moved images and text all over each page.

A reason that causes unexpected object movement on all pages if pages get added at the beginning of a document could be the number of pages: if the document is set up as facing pages then adding an odd number of pages will force a switch of all following existing pages from left to right pages.

It could be worth a closer look, even though, or in particular because you found a way you apparently needed to go to avoid the issue. So, if you could upload any files, e.g. the PDF you used and/or the affected .afpub it might help to investigate what was going on. Alternatively you could start a bug report and ask for an upload link to a Serif moderator in case you want to avoid making the files available to the forum.