You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affininity photo opening raw files too dark

Hello, I didn't find anything on this in the forum. I shoot with a Canon R5 in raw. When I open the raw file in affinity photo, it opens too dark and any adjustments I make end up way too bright when developed. Is there a fix? Also you only have 2 lens profiles for RF lenses?

The image is of the jpeg before any edits and the raw file open in affinity.

too dark.JPG

54 minutes ago, chubbycherub said:

Hello, I didn't find anything on this in the forum. I shoot with a Canon R5 in raw. When I open the raw file in affinity photo, it opens too dark and any adjustments I make end up way too bright when developed. Is there a fix? Also you only have 2 lens profiles for RF lenses?

The image is of the jpeg before any edits and the raw file open in affinity.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your issue.

There are 3 possible reasons:

1. Develop Assistant, "Exposure Bias" and "Apply Tone Curve" might cause this issue. Try different settings. If happy, you can save them as default in Affinity Photo.
    https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Raw/raw.html#anchor_assistant

2. Affinity Apps cannot read the "Picture Profiles" used by Canon cameras and Canon DPP software. If you set a picture profile in Camera or by "Profile Editor" App from Canon, the settings will be used to create a JPG in Camera, but ignored by Affinity.

3. As the R5 is a relatively new model, with frequent firmware updates by Canon which could change the RAW format, Affinity could stay a little behind interpreting new features correctly.

Regarding Lens Profiles, Affinity simply uses the free Lensfun library which seems to run out of volunteers uploading new profiles. New Affinity Releases will include what is available at the time of Photo release. You may try to update manually any time later, or measure you lens and create your own profiles.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

The Affinity Canon R5 libraw support is relatively new in APh (as can be seen here) and might not be perfectly adjusted yet. - If you are using APh on a Mac, you can alternatively try the Apple RAW engine in APh (switchable in the Develop Assistant) which supports the Canon R5 since >= MacOS BigSur.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Plus, a JPG usually gets heavily processed in-camera before saving. Usually it takes quite some effort making a RAW look as good as the JPG. That's why I always set my camera to save RAW and JPG - to get a JPG I can use immediately, and a RAW I can really play with.

You've got some harsh contrasts in your image, pure white to pure black. For not overexposing, the shadows need to become quite dark in the RAW. But still, it seems to be a bit overdone.

If you post the original RAW file, we could check and compare the RAW development with other RAW converters.

Comparing highly processed JPGs and pristine RAWs just doesn't work. ;)

14 minutes ago, chubbycherub said:

And some of these lenses have been out over 2 years. Odd that they aren't added to the program.

AFAI recall (if it hasn't changed in the meantime) Affinity Photo uses the lens datas from Lensfun.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Affinity Photo uses the lens datas from Lensfun

It does indeed, as confirmed recently here:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

It does indeed, as confirmed recently here:

You can find out easily by looking into the apps supplied/dependent libs and resources, or via using some third party tools like DIE etc.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome @ronwise to the forums,

In the Assistant Manager, there's two settings that are probably disabled. The Tone Curve and Export Bias. Enable those, and your RAW images should open lighter.

From the Affinity Photo Online Help

To change initial develop settings:

On the Toolbar, do the following:

1. Click the Develop Assistant to open its settings dialog.
  2. Choose from the following settings:
    • Lens corrections: Enable or disable automatic lens correction for supported camera lens profiles. Lens profiles are installed with the app. If a camera is not included (perhaps a new model), you can include it by adding its profile—a downloaded Lensfun XML file or Adobe Lens Correction Profile (LCP)—to the database by using Preferences>General.
    • Noise reduction: Automatically enables either color noise reduction, color and luminance noise reduction, or disables any initial noise reduction. Color noise reduction is recommended for the vast majority of camera raw images.
    • RAW output format: Choose between RGB (16 bit) or RGB (32 bit HDR) output when developing a raw image. Choosing RGB (32 bit HDR) allows you to maintain a full 32-bit float environment from initial raw development to export and take advantage of extra precision.
    • Tone curve: If the default 'Apply tone curve' option is active, your raw image is adjusted using a suggested tone curve. The 'Take no action' option makes no tonal correction; the image can be altered within the Basic panel later.
    • Alert when assistant takes an action: When checked, a pop-up message appears on loading the RAW image to indicate that adjustments have been applied automatically.
    • Exposure bias: Choose whether to apply exposure bias value if stored in the raw image's EXIF data. Like Histogram stretch, both 'default' and 'initial' give the same results but reports zeroed or actual values, respectively. The 'Take no action' option ignores the exposure bias value.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Hi @Ron P., I appreciate the quick reply! I have looked at all the documentation I can find and have played with all of those settings. Nothing seems to change the way they import. When I turn those settings off, the images just get more flat — and they're still underexposed. I've even tried using Iridient X-Transformer to create DNGs out of the RAFs. I'm not ready to give up on AP yet but I need a different way of opening the raw files before doing any serious editing. 

21 hours ago, ronwise said:

I don't know what the deal is with Affinity and RAW files but I'm really disappointed. Everything I shoot is easily needing 1+ stop boost in exposure. 

Affinity Photo (unlike some other RAW development applications) leave most of the development decisions up to the user. Some others may read more of the in-camera settings, but for the most part Affinity Photo just presents you with the RAW data (which does not have any of those in-camera settings applied).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Affinity Photo (unlike some other RAW development applications) leave most of the development decisions up to the user. Some others may read more of the in-camera settings, but for the most part Affinity Photo just presents you with the RAW data (which does not have any of those in-camera settings applied).

Thanks for your reply, Walt. It still seems weird to me that I can open these files in any other program that supports RAW and the exposures are good. It was my understanding that RAW files don't have in-camera settings applied to them (like JPEGs would). But then, I'm wrong a lot. Until this gets ironed out, I'll have to use a different RAW processor. 

1 minute ago, ronwise said:

It was my understanding that RAW files don't have in-camera settings applied to them (like JPEGs would).

They don't. But they can contain information about what the in-camera settings were, and some other programs will read that information and try to reproduce those settings as a starting point. Affinity Photo basically doesn't do that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

Did you follow the tutorial videos, or the advise given in this thread about develop assistant?

There is no know issue with the good old 5D, and if both give same results, its probably related.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/331997643/

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/331997853/

If this doesn't help, we would need CR2/CR3 test images to check, and screenshots of your assistant settings.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

There is no know issue with the good old 5D...

Does that also apply to the 5D mk2?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Does that also apply to the 5D mk2?

All are very long time on market, i would be surprised. All create CR2 format, issues are mainly for newer models using CR3 format.

5D 4 in 2016

5D 3 in 2012

5D 2 2008

5D 2005

Edited by NotMyFault
Typo

8 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

5D 2095

Typo, I assume? Anyway, I did see the Canon EOS 5D Mark II mentioned here, so assuming @Muffindell is using a current version of AP, it should be supported by the Serif RAW engine.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Typo, I assume? Anyway, I did see the Canon EOS 5D Mark II mentioned here, so assuming @Muffindell is using a current version of AP, it should be supported by the Serif RAW engine.

The list contains all Canon models incl. R6 mentioned by Muffindell.

But we know that there are some limits in case of compressed RAW files, or Cameras released in the past ~2-3 years.

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

You would have thought so, CR2 was released in 2004 and CR3 in 2018, however Affinity just doesn't cope with it out of the box and I don't know why such a longstanding file format is not automatically accommodated, let alone the newer CR3 format; it surely can't be an oversight. I find it difficult to believe that there haven't been loads of complaints, is everyone using JPG's for their work? I'm a professional photographer and have accumulated plenty of knowledge since 1986 when DTP started to make a move against traditional hand litho methods and drum scanning, I remember using the first Digital cameras where batteries would last no more than 20 shots, hopefully Serif customer services will come up with the goods rapidly 

29 minutes ago, Muffindell said:

CR2 was released in 2004 and CR3 in 2018, however Affinity just doesn't cope with it out of the box and I don't know why such a longstanding file format is not automatically accommodated

What info & how it is stored in CR2 RAW file varies by camera model -- IOW, it is not exactly the same for all of them. That's why there is a list of supported models, & of supported camera/lens combinations.

It is also why Affinity (among others) relies on the Lensfun project for its RAW processing engine.

Affinity Photo 

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What info & how it is stored in CR2 RAW file varies by camera model -- IOW, it is not exactly the same for all of them. That's why there is a list of supported models, & of supported camera/lens combinations.

It is also why Affinity (among others) relies on the Lensfun project for its RAW processing engine.

As I understand it, Lensfun is solely used for lens correction data, it is not a RAW processing engine, but I am happy to be corrected on this

13 minutes ago, Muffindell said:

As I understand it, Lensfun is solely used for lens correction data, it is not a RAW processing engine, but I am happy to be corrected on this

Yes, I think you are right about that, but the point is how image sensor data is stored & what & how image metadata is stored in the CR2 format varies by camera model, so it is the combination of camera & lens that determines if or to what extent a RAW engine can process it.

IOW, supporting one Canon camera model that outputs CR2 RAW files does not mean all others are automatically supported.

Affinity Photo