You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On PDF exporting: layers to pages

Hey, I've been editing a PDF file on Affinity Photo (the software treats each page as a layer), but now I can't export them back to the format they were before, because all the layers are becoming a single page.

Can Affinity Photo make every layer a page again when exporting to PDF? What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance!

• Staff

Hi Andsnleo,

It isn't currently possible to export multiple page PDFs in the Mac App Store version of the app. However we do have improved PDF export / import  in our beta which should fix your issue. You can download it here :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

In the beta, each artboard becomes a PDF page. If you import a PDF, then it will create a document with several artboards, and then export them as multiple pages automatically. For your existing document, you'd need to convert it to this format by hand. Select the Artboard tool (which is under the Move tool), then use Insert Artboard (in the context toolbar) for each layer, and move the layer onto it. There probably aren't any tutorials because artboards are very new (and not quite finished).

Sorry, my mistake: I overlooked that you were using Photo. The artboard tools are in Designer.

You could try opening both the original PDF and your edited version in Photo Beta. The original PDF should have the multiple artboards, and you can delete their old content and copy your edited content from the layers in the new document.

Photo is not really intended to be a multi-page or multi-artboard app. It sounds like Designer will be the better tool for what you are doing.

Sorry, my mistake: I overlooked that you were using Photo. The artboard tools are in Designer.

You could try opening both the original PDF and your edited version in Photo Beta. The original PDF should have the multiple artboards, and you can delete their old content and copy your edited content from the layers in the new document.

Photo is not really intended to be a multi-page or multi-artboard app. It sounds like Designer will be the better tool for what you are doing.

I have the affinity designer from mac app store. 

The imported pdf is with different layer. Now, with this version is not possible to export a pdf file with different pages?

• Staff

Hi Mystic Shadow,

The Artboards and the ability to export each artboard as a page are only available in the latest Affinity Designer Beta which you can install from here. Just remember to keep the Mac App Store version installed since its needed to run the Beta.

Alternatively you can wait for the next update to the MAc App Store version that should be available before Christmas.

Hi Mystic Shadow,

The Artboards and the ability to export each artboard as a page are only available in the latest Affinity Designer Beta which you can install from here. Just remember to keep the Mac App Store version installed since its needed to run the Beta.

Alternatively you can wait for the next update to the MAc App Store version that should be available before Christmas.

Thank you!

I try the beta version and it works!!!!! :)

I see that there is the support in my language... great!

I think there is a little bug: if  I copy the layer in a new art board and I do not see the new white art board on the screen, the content of the layer is pasted in the center of the screen and not in the new art board.

Thanks a lot!

• 1 month later...

So does the recent update allow multiple pages PDF export in the paid Designer app?

EDIT: I see the process requires Artboards, then copy contents over to individual artboards...not really liking the flow. Can't we just export, each main GROUP is a page? this will save a lot of headaches.

jycreative.dunked.com

15.4-inch 2014 MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display

So does the recent update allow multiple pages PDF export in the paid Designer app?

Yes. It's not ideal because it is based on Artboards; true multi-page support will be coming later.

EDIT: I see the process requires Artboards, then copy contents over to individual artboards...not really liking the flow. Can't we just export, each main GROUP is a page? this will save a lot of headaches.

If you know you are designing for multiple pages, you would create an Artboard for each page at the beginning. Then there'd be no need to copy anything and the workflow is quite straightforward. I don't see how using groups would be better. How would we tell which groups were being used for grouping and which for pages? How would things like margins and bleed work?