You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Used Affinity Photo to sonify a picture of a hand drawn waveform

Waveluke

I found a random waveform hand drawn on the internet, downloaded it, cleaned it up in Affinity Photo, and actually sonified it, by using the photo as a mask for a rainbow gradient.  Then used an imagemagick command to convert to hsl colorspace and resize to one pixel high, and voila, the hue channel level value matches perfectly to the height of the waveform, and you can then use it to get actual sound when importing to Audacity as raw data.  Timelapse video with final result heard at end:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I don't think your video uploaded successfully.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

33 minutes ago, Waveluke said:

Is this forum supposed to be able to handle h.265 media?

I'm not sure. I at least see something that is playable in Firefox on Windows, but when I play it there's nothing to see/hear. Earlier on my iPad, using Safari, there was something but it wasn't playable at all.

I don't know if it would be a forum limitation, or an OS and/or browser limitation. Is h.265 commonly supported on iPad, Windows, and Mac, without having to install additional codecs?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Is h.265 commonly supported on iPad, Windows, and Mac, without having to install additional codecs?

Doesn't seem to like getting played back by browsers, but in a lot of different social media, loading works fine.  Kind of a shame, as h.265 is much more efficient.  I'll try the other h.264 file for it, though bigger.

4 hours ago, Waveluke said:

Doesn't look like I can edit my post...

New users can only edit their posts for a limited time. This is to thwart the common spamming technique of posting something innocuous, leaving it for a few days and then editing it to introduce spam links.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Waveluke said:

but in a lot of different social media, loading works fine.

Which social media sites are those? Are they transcoding your h265 into something else for compatibility?

My Chrome browser didn't play the video although I heard the sounds towards the end, however, the downloaded file played properly in VLC

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I get a bit of sound after about 1:30, @firstdefence, but none of the video. Downloading it, though, I can see the video, too. Thanks for the hint about downloading, @David in Яuislip.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Waveluke

I dont know about the technicalities, but this is fascinating.
A few days ago I saw a video about generating sounds from psd files. Also very unusual.
DRO moto: NIKAKOI Creating a Track Using a Photoshop File

On 11/5/2021 at 3:37 AM, Waveluke said:

Then used an imagemagick command to convert to hsl colorspace

Dont know if this will work with your workflow but you can convert to HSL inside A. Photo. But you need the GMIC plugin.

decompose.png.08dc40417453c649756e58b5c89703b4.png

You have to check "Output Multiple Layers"

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 9:02 AM, Lisbon said:

Dont know if this will work with your workflow but you can convert to HSL inside A. Photo. But you need the GMIC plugin.

That's actually a good tip, forgot about the recent G'mic 8bf conversion, will have to give that a go.  I do need to use an Imagemagick command anyway, as the uncompressed tiff out of Imagemagick works better with the raw data import in Audacity than the Affinity Photo uncompressed tiff.