You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 minutes ago, Ali said:

Not so. I have legacy files from the 1990s that will not work in PPX9.

I’m quite prepared to believe that, Ali, given the PPX5/PPX9 interchange problems I mentioned. I’d be surprised, however, if those files won’t open in PPX8 or X7.

5 minutes ago, Ali said:

I don't ever recall NOT getting an upgrade discount during the lifetime of the Plus range.

Me too neither!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

I’d be surprised, however, if those files won’t open in PPX8 or X7.

We'll never know ... Those old software disks got jettisoned years ago!!! 😂

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

I doubt if there will be much change in the file formats between v1 and v2 of the Affinity Apps.

The Affinity Apps were "built from the ground up" and not upgrades of the old Plus/Legacy range of products. They are two different ranges of products, so Serif saw no reason to make the the new (Affinity) files compatible with the old (Plus/Legacy) ones.

Also, I can't see that there will be any real need to upgrade from v1 to v2 of the Affinity Apps, if you don't want to do so. I much prefer the Affinity Apps, but older software does not just stop working as soon as newer versions become available. I still use PagePlus (and, occasionally, DrawPlus and PhotoPlus) for odd things and they still work as well as they every did! Before I retired, a couple of months ago, I was still using Photoshop 7 and Acrobat Pro 9 at work, as I had been doing for the best part of 18 years, with no need to upgrade them!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I still use PagePlus

There's a lot that PPX9 does that Affinity Publisher still doesn't, so I'll be sticking with PagePlus for a while longer yet. I discovered a deal-breaking (for me) omission in PDF export only the other day that has stopped me in my tracks. If it's addressed in v.2, I might adopt Publisher, but if not, I'll stick for a while longer.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

6 minutes ago, Ali said:

I discovered a deal-breaking (for me) omission in PDF export only the other day that has stopped me in my tracks.

Which one?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, Ali said:

If Serif follow their Plus range pattern, then it's possible that there will be preferential upgrade pricing for customers who have bought the previous version (but this is a guess, of course, because we don't know for sure).

It may be difficult for Serif to offer preferential upgrade pricing to owners of the 1.x apps because each of them could have been bought in one of 3 different stores (Affinity, Windows, or Mac) but only the ones bought from the Affinity store include product keys & the other two may be subject to sandboxing restrictions enforced my Microsoft or Apple.

If I had to guess, I think the most likely scenario is there will be a limited time  'special introductory discount price' available to anyone, sort of like what we saw for each of the 1.x apps when they were first released.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

It may be difficult for Serif to offer preferential upgrade pricing to owners of the 1.x apps because each of them could have been bought in one of 3 different stores (Affinity, Windows, or Mac) but only the ones bought from the Affinity store include product keys & the other two may be subject to sandboxing restrictions enforced my Microsoft or Apple.

On the other hand, they now have the My Account function since 1.9, which registers the applications into an account at the Affinity Store no matter where they were purchased. That could, in theory, allow the Affinity Store to offer a reduced price for purchasers who are willing to buy directly from Serif, no matter where they purchased previously.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Which one?

Don't want to side-track this thread with unnecessary discussions, as I'm not interested in workarounds and this isn't the place for them, anyway, but it's not being able to impose pages when exporting to PDF, something I could do with ease just by ticking a box in PPX9.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

7 minutes ago, Ali said:

There's a lot that PPX9 does that Affinity Publisher still doesn't...

There is one big thing that Affinity does that the Plus apps do not, & that is run on Macs (& on iPads for 2 of the 3 apps). 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R

Good point - I hadn't thought of this. Yes, introductory offers for early adopters might be the way for Serif to go, if they want to do it at all.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

On the other hand, they now have the My Account function since 1.9, which registers the applications into an account at the Affinity Store no matter where they were purchased. That could, in theory, allow the Affinity Store to offer a reduced price for purchasers who are willing to buy directly from Serif, no matter where they purchased previously.

Maybe so, but the My Account feature does not work on some older versions of the macOS so it would not be a 'universal' solution.

Affinity Photo 

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

There is one big thing that Affinity does that the Plus apps do not, & that is run on Macs (& on iPads for 2 of the 3 apps). 

Yes, however for me, as a very long-time Serif customer and Windows user, the ability to use the software on a Mac or iPad is completely irrelevant. Why would I move to software that doesn't do what I want it to just because someone else might be able to install it on a Mac??? 🤣😉

For the avoidance of doubt, I have actually purchased Affinity Publisher, but that's because I can't help myself, and I do want to get to know it even if I don't actually use it.

Edited by Ali
Typo

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

7 minutes ago, Ali said:

Yes, however for me, as a very long-time Serif customer and Windows user, the ability to use the software on a Mac or iPad is completely irrelevant.

It is relevant to the extent that it (probably) will figure into Serif's 2.x upgrade pricing model, in much the same way that they decided on the Apple tiered currency pricing model for both Mac & Windows buyers in different countries/regions, including purchaes from their own store, or how they decided on the non-commercial & commercial licensing restrictions based on the same ones Apple was using for Mac App Store purchases.

OTOH, maybe they will change the license to a 'universal' one good for a certain number of computers, whether Mac or Windows, or offer that as a differently priced option, which for obvious reasons would only be available from the Affinity Store.

There are lots of possibilities but until the v2.x versions are released all we can do is guess about what they might be.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

On the other hand, they now have the My Account function since 1.9, which registers the applications into an account at the Affinity Store no matter where they were purchased. That could, in theory ...

Walt, let me emphasize the in theory here, since as you know for Mac users this requires at least >= MacOS Sierra. - So for example in my case, it doesn't register the applications into an account at the Affinity Store, thus it's a pretty useless function for people using MacOS < Sierra! 😉

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

17 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

So for example in my case, it doesn't register the applications into an account at the Affinity Store, thus it's a pretty useless function for people using MacOS < Sierra!

Good point (which, in truth, I had neglected, so thanks to you and @R C-R for the reminder).

Of course, by the time we see Affinity 2.0 those old levels of MacOS might be out of support, and everyone migrated to newer hardware with newer versions of the OS that do support My Account :)

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, MCFC_4Heatons said:

I would be more than happy to pay a generous upgrade price for v2 Designer if it had some of the key features currently missing; free transform, warp, perspective tools

Yeah, absolutely so. But please let them include REAL vector brushes, a blend tool, gradient meshes, a shape builder tool as well. If another "budget" app like VectorStyler has got all these (and a few others as well) it shouldn't be impossible for the Affinity team to offer these to us as well...

Ah, well: image tracing would also be great!

• 3 weeks later...

I hope vs2 will have a higher price for iPad, perhaps as close as possible to Desktop’s. And hopefully in that price will be included important features like recording macros, or rudimentary functions like importing palettes. The later is indefensible and should not be the case for in 2022.

Edited by iuli
A small correction

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

4 hours ago, iuli said:

or rudimentary functions like importing palettes

Which kind of palettes do you mean? It's obviously been possible to import palettes (and export) from or to any Affinity app using the .afpalette file type for some time now.

24 minutes ago, Lorox said:

Which kind of palettes do you mean? It's obviously been possible to import palettes (and export) from or to any Affinity app using the .afpalette file type for some time now.

Not on the iPad, I believe.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Lorox said:

Like @walt.farrell said, that’s not possible on the iPad.

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

1 hour ago, iuli said:

Like @walt.farrell said, that’s not possible on the iPad.

Sorry, I didn't pay enough attention...

That having been said, I completely agree to your initial post. I actually think that it's generally a bad thing when the inclusion of basic features like these is handled differently for an app if there is a Desktop version and an iPad version.

Especially as a feature like this doesn't really seem to depend on device specific peculiarities...

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 5:41 PM, FidgetyJester said:

If you already bought Affinity then will you have to buy it again when 2.0 comes out? If you do then will it be discounted price for people who already bought it, or will it be free for everyone who already bought it? Or do you have no idea how it'll go when 2.0 comes out?

Are you unsure of how to create a question? Your questions are more statement than they are questions. I'm not trying to be harse, but seriously, at least try to form a sentence correctly. 

Welcome to the forums @Vavem

Those sentences written by FidgetyJester seem like reasonably-formed questions to me.
They’re not written in what I would call ‘perfect’ English but they are quite understandable as questions, to me at least.

While we are giving criticism of other people’s use of English, how about:

14 hours ago, Vavem said:

Your questions are more statement than they are questions.

Possible improvements:

• “Your questions are more statement than question.” (“questions” needs to be singularised, slightly archaic usage I think)
  • “Your questions are more like statements than questions.” (“statement” needs to be pluralised with the addition of “like”, or maybe “akin to”, or similar)

Either way, mixing singular and plural nouns, in the way you did, is not generally considered to be correct modern usage in English.

And also:

14 hours ago, Vavem said:

I'm not trying to be harse,

Should probably be: “I’m not trying to be harsh,…” (“harse” isn’t an English word, except as a slang or similarly-non-related archaic term)

If you have joined the forums simply to denigrate other users then you might find that you could be penalised by the moderators at some point.
It’s probably better to keep things cordial and not criticise unnecessarily.

Note: My English usage probably isn’t ‘perfect’ either; I am simply attempting to demonstrate that none of us is perfect, and that supposition may need to be taken into consideration when replying to other people’s posts.