You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 minutes ago, FidgetyJester said:

If you already bought Affinity then will you have to buy it again when 2.0 comes out? If you do then will it be discounted price for people who already bought it, or will it be free for everyone who already bought it? Or do you have no idea how it'll go when 2.0 comes out?

What we know is that Affinity has said version 2.0.0 will cost money, we do not know how much nor whether there will be a discount or a grace period.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

We also have no idea when 2.0 will happen. It could be next year sometime, or in two years, or five, or ?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In addition to the answers above, I think it’s also worth saying that no-one has to upgrade to 2.x if they can’t or don’t need/want to.

1.x will continue to work (without further payment to Serif) until you upgrade/change your hardware/OS to a configuration that is no longer compatible with the software.

If the last 1.x version (before 2.x comes out) does all that you need it to then you can keep using it – as long as your hardware/OS supports it – without having to pay to upgrade to 2.x.

You won’t get any more fixes to the 1.x software, or new functionality, if you don’t upgrade to 2.x, but if 1.x does the job you need it to do then you don’t need to upgrade; it’s your choice.

9 minutes ago, anto said:

Version 1 will remain working, but with bugs. It is my opinion.

It’s also my opinion. And clearly Garry’s opinion, too:

14 minutes ago, GarryP said:

the 1.x software probably won’t get any fixes once 2.x come out

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 minutes ago, anto said:

Before 2.x come out, version 1.x must be fixed and really stable. But this probably will not happen. Version 1 will remain working, but with bugs. It is my opinion.

Just want to clarify, do you expect Serif to have all the bugs fixed when they release 2.0? If so I'm going guess no one will be able to afford it. Why? They would have the only software in history with zero bugs in a version 2.0 release. Something that's never been done. So they could demand a premium for it.

Now comparatively, what version is PhotoShop, or CorelDraw on? Certainly there are no bugs in them by now... 😉

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

2 hours ago, anto said:

Any software must be high quality from the beginning

Tell that to Microsoft. Windows: bringing you bugs and gaping security holes for decades. Tell that to Adobe: endless bugs and security holes in Acrobat and the now-discontinued Flash. Etc.

2 hours ago, anto said:

And mistakes should be corrected as they come in, not accumulate.

Perhaps you have never done software development? Some bugs are 'edge cases', which only appear in unusual circumstances and most people would never see them. Other bugs affect more people or are more serious. It is very normal to make the next release of abc software a bug fix version.

Continually rolling out updates leads to very unstable systems. If Affinity fixed 2 bugs a day, making 2 releases a day, would you patch your system 2 times a day? You would spend more time updating your system than doing any work.

2 hours ago, anto said:

It remains a mystery why known bugs found in the beta versions of the programs before were ignored, and not corrected in the final releases when users reported them. And now they have led to hundreds of bugs.

Some issues that arise in a beta may not actually be related to the work being prioritized for that release, meaning that they will be triaged to be explored and addressed in a future update. While I've been watching the 1.10.x release (and subsequent patch releases) closely, I'm curious as to what known bugs were found in the beta that have now directly "lead to hundreds of bugs"? I'm not saying there aren't bugs in the recent releases, but I think it's important to accurately depict the state of the releases in order to better understand and prioritize the outstanding issues.

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

We also have no idea when 2.0 will happen. It could be next year sometime, or in two years, or five, or ?

The release date of version 2.x has long been given, and it is fast approaching :-)

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

All this talk of bugs has nothing to do with the original topic.

As they say in the Affinity Forum Guidelines "Please keep conversations on topic" :-) 

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

The question bigger than that of price is what features will be in APhoto version 2.0 that would make it worth buying?

I've not seen any information from Serif as to how APhoto version 2.0 might be a significant improvement over the current version. In the forums I've read lots of wishful thinking by those hoping that the developers might someday turn their attention to design deficiencies and bugs that have existed for half a decade.

After 4 years and 17 releases of bug fixes, the problems I've had since buying the software on 10/30/2017 persist. I understand that some high end features I'll never have use for have been added and that Serif's focus is now on desktop publishing on the Mac and not on photo editing for enthusiasts. So, if version 2.0 ever comes out my first question will be: What's in it for me? 

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

20 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

I understand that some high end features I'll never have use for have been added and that Serif's focus is now on desktop publishing on the Mac and not on photo editing for enthusiasts.

According to . . .???   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

23 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

So, if version 2.0 ever comes out my first question will be: What's in it for me? 

That's a reasonable approach to any software update. I looked at macOS Monterey and saw not a lot, as I did with Big Sur. No doubt for other people it will be the bestest version of macOS ever and everything they ever wanted from Apple. 

On 11/5/2021 at 10:21 AM, GarryP said:

no-one has to upgrade to 2.x if they can’t or don’t need/want to

True, but please bear in mind that upgrades are sometimes necessary because people around you are updating and you are sharing files with them. Some people, unfortunately, are only happy when they have the very latest - regardless of whether they need it or not. We've all had that experience with software from California, Washington and elsewhere.

On the other hand, I will probably update to version 2.0 immediately. I have clients who will. Furthermore I like what Affinity does and the products are not really expensive, especially in comparison. 

Side note, independent of the quote: If version 2.0 costs money at some point, no one should complain about it after years of free updates.

Ich hoffe, ich erlebe es noch, dass die deutschen Anführungszeichen in Affinity Publisher korrekt funktionieren.

1 hour ago, Optische Ausrichtung said:

upgrades are sometimes necessary

But each user is free to choose according to their needs and their requirements, whether he really needs an upgrade or just wants to have software maintained again for several years. For some other products, he doesn't have that freedom - if he wants to use it, he has to pay, even though he's not interested in the alleged new improvements at all.

The problem with compatibility between collaborators can be solved by exporting to standard formats (although awkward, but if you need to save at all costs :-)

1 hour ago, Optische Ausrichtung said:

If version 2.0 costs money at some point, no one should complain about it after years of free updates.

I bought ADesigner and APhoto in December 2016 for 39.99€, ie about 8€ per year (and until the release of version 2.x it will still decrease). So I won't hesitate for a second after the release of 2.x :-)

Consider the fact that you may have any version you like as long as you want, and no one will stop you from having access to your apps once you stopped to pay them (looking at you, Adobe).

Just this thing alone is the reason I'm sticked with Serif. And I will be happy to pay once again for any major release in the feature, if I find new features and improvements are worthing it.

Even if Serif decide to raise their prices at some point, I'd still support this decision. Because, for what these wonderful apps can do, $50 is just nothing.

The pricing model seems almost identical to Serif's Plus range: you paid for each major upgrade, but patches to each version were free (we now call these updates). If Serif follow their Plus range pattern, then it's possible that there will be preferential upgrade pricing for customers who have bought the previous version (but this is a guess, of course, because we don't know for sure).

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

7 hours ago, Pšenda said:

about 8€ per year

And people still complain! I'm in much the same boat as you. 

9 hours ago, Optische Ausrichtung said:

you are sharing files with them

Affinity could get round this to some extent by having versioned files. It was common enough with Corel and I seem to recall Adobe doing it too. It's not a complete answer, but being able to save in an older format where possible should be given consideration.

11 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

but being able to save in an older format where possible should be given consideration

When migrating to version 2, maybe they will think about backward compatibility. For the free update of versions 1.x, there was usually no reason to maintain backward compatibility (if the new version really worked, which sometimes failed :-) But with version 2, backward compatibility would make more sense, although it can be quite complicated for developers (replacing unavailable functionality). Perhaps this will not end like with the support of legacy Plus product formats, for which Serif itself recommends data sharing via PDF.

Just now, Pšenda said:

Perhaps this will not end like with the support of legacy Plus product formats, for which Serif itself recommends data sharing via PDF.

Highly unlikely in the case of the move from Affinity X v.1 to Affinity X v.2. The basic code base will be the same, and with the Plus range, there was always some degree of backwards compatibility (although the last few versions of the Plus range would not open files created in the very earliest versions).

The reason there was no forward compatibility between the Plus range and Affinity was precisely because the code base completely changed. Serif had reached the end of the line with the old, and had to start afresh.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

7 hours ago, Ali said:

The pricing model seems almost identical to Serif's Plus range: you paid for each major upgrade, but patches to each version were free (we now call these updates).

That’s because they’re completely fresh installs, unlike the incremental patches that we had for the ‘Plus’ software titles. ;)

7 hours ago, Ali said:

If Serif follow their Plus range pattern, then it's possible that there will be preferential upgrade pricing for customers who have bought the previous version (but this is a guess, of course, because we don't know for sure).

When the Windows versions of Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo were announced, registered users of DrawPlus X8 and PhotoPlus X8 were promised a special discount. In the event, everyone got the same launch offer (with no preferential treatment for ‘Plus’ users).

19 minutes ago, Ali said:

with the Plus range, there was always some degree of backwards compatibility (although the last few versions of the Plus range would not open files created in the very earliest versions)

If memory serves, there are incompatibilities between files saved from PagePlus X9 and PagePlus X5, but otherwise files from the very earliest versions (before X2) should open in a 32-bit version of any later release. Most of the more recent versions of ‘Plus’ applications can also read files saved from newer versions.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

but otherwise files from the very earliest versions (before X2) should open in a 32-bit version of any later release.

Not so. I have legacy files from the 1990s that will not work in PPX9.

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

When the Windows versions of Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo were announced, registered users of DrawPlus X8 and PhotoPlus X8 were promised a special discount.

That's not what I'm talking about. When we went from one version to another in the Plus range (e.g. WPX7 to WPX8) there was always a discount for those with the previous version to upgrade. I don't ever recall NOT getting an upgrade discount during the lifetime of the Plus range.

I'm not really surprised, given the very low price point that the Affinity range started at that there were no discounts (Affinity Designer was a penny under £30 when I bought it in 2016).

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.