You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: Performance problems when moving text frames and objects

I am asking for your help with the following performance problem in Affinity Publisher on my 2020 Mac Mini:
When moving text frames and other objects, e.g. shapes, I notice a strong delay. The text frame or object takes the new position only after a delay of about 0,5 up to 2 seconds. This makes accurate placement of objects extremely difficult, as I always have to wait a short time after repositioning before I can correct the position.

I don't recall observing these delays in previous versions.. However, I have not worked in Publisher since March on the MacMini. Now I want to update a project for work and I notice these severe delays when rearranging text frames. It is a straightforward project with two pages containing only a few text frames and vector graphics. But this affects not only this project, but also a completely newly created file, with only one text frame (see video).

I have already tried various measures recommended here in the forum without success:
* Hardware Acceleration: turn metal support on and off.
* View Quality: Bilinear and Nearest.
* Display: Metal, OpenGL or OpenGL (Basic), Software
* Retina Rendering: Automatic, low quality, high quality
* Reset user settings
* Uninstall Publisher completely (including files in Library folder) and reinstall.

Unfortunately, none of these actions made any significant improvement. If metal support is turned off, then things get worse. I also notice a slight delay in Affinity Designer, but not near as much as in Publisher. Now I don't know what to do and hope for your help.

Since all three programs are also installed on my MacBook Pro, I did a test there and notice virtually no lag.

I purchased all three Affinity programs from the Serif store. My Mac Mini and MacBook Pro are rather well equipped, please see the specs in my signature.

To illustrate the difference, here are two short videos. The first shows the delays on the MacMini and the second shows the behavior on the MacBook Pro for comparison.

I am grateful for any tips. Many thanks in advance.

Affinity Photo V2.3.0 | Affinity Designer V2.3.0 | Affinity Publisher V2.3.0

Mac Studio M2 Ultra | 128 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.6 | EIZO CS2740 4K UHD
MacBook Pro Retina, 15", Mitte 2015 | 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB SSD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6

2 minutes ago, Kaffeepause said:

I am grateful for any tips.

Maybe you should turn off the samples in the Text Styles panel? Maybe you should adapt the snapping settings? Finally, close the panels one by one to see if it gets better.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

6 hours ago, Kaffeepause said:

Since all three programs are also installed on my MacBook Pro, I did a test there and notice virtually no lag.

The only thing I can think of that might be a contributing factor is that the Mac Mini is attached to a EIZO CS2740 4K UHD monitor, while (I assume) the MBP is using its built-in screen.

So maybe on the Mini check in System Preferences > Displays for anything that does not look right, although I have no idea what that might be.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello @Kaffeepause

Thank you for spotlighting these core performance problems of Affinity apps once again. I'm facing all these issues you're describing. It all was there on Catalina, Big Sur and now in Monterey. Affinity suite v1.10.1, v1.10.4. Unfortunately, there are lots of performance problems in Affinity apps, especially with text layers.

However, after looking at your videos, I should mention, that in Publisher canvas refreshing algorithm works slightly different than in Photo or Designer. There's a kind of delayed response, so objects you're moving are being updated only after you stop moving your mouse. So Publisher doesn't continuously update selected objects coords but only in the end of your cursor movement.

Similar behaviour could be found in Adobe's InDesign app, but it also offer you a setting to switch screen performance between Immediate Redrawing and Delayed.

As far as I know, there's no similar setting in Affinity Publisher.

4 minutes ago, Alex M said:

I'm facing all these issues you're describing. It all was there on Catalina, Big Sur and now in Monterey. Affinity suite v1.10.1, v1.10.4. Unfortunately, there are lots of performance problems in Affinity apps, especially with text layers.

FWIW, I am running Catalina on my iMac (specs below in my sig) & I am not seeing any lag when moving text layers. For me it is immediate, like in the video @Kaffeepause posted for the MBP.

8 minutes ago, Alex M said:

However, after looking at your videos, I should mention, that in Publisher canvas refreshing algorithm works slightly different than in Photo or Designer. There's a kind of delayed response, so objects you're moving are being updated only after you stop moving your mouse.

I am not seeing this on my iMac in any of the 3 Affinity apps. Moving any kind of object; be it text, vector shape, or whatever; updates continuously as I move it. This is with Preferences > Performance > Display set to Metal, Retina Rendering set to AutomaticMetal Compute Acceleration enabled, & View Quality set to Bilinear (Best Quality).

I might see a delay if I switched to OpenGL or software rendering but as it is there is zero delay even when I shake an object back & forth as fast as I can.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not seeing any lag when moving text layers

Hi @R C-R 

That's actually very interesting! I see that you have Radeon Pro 5700 in your iMac. It seems like it's much more powerful video card than mine Radeon RX 580.

Anyway, I'd very appreciate if you could look and test some of my files I've shared in this thread:

I'm especially asking you to try open these:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=200314

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=200318

Please let me know if all artboards are moving equally smooth for you in the first file. And both text layers from second link are also moving equally smooth on your screen in the second file.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Alex M

3 minutes ago, Alex M said:

Please let me know if all artboards are moving equally smooth for you in the first file. And both text layers from second link are also moving equally smooth on your screen in the second file.

I tested the 2 files you mentioned in this thread, both in AD (since as downloaded they had the .afdesign extension) & then in APub. In both files in both apps the items are moving smoothly with no delays. The only thing delayed until I stop moving anything is in APub the faint whiteish artboard outline remains in the original location until I release the mouse, but the content itself updates continuously as I move the artboards.

Affinity Photo 

On 11/4/2021 at 11:31 AM, Joachim_L said:

Maybe you should turn off the samples in the Text Styles panel? Maybe you should adapt the snapping settings? Finally, close the panels one by one to see if it gets better.

@Joachim_L, thank you very much for your hints. I will try these to see if it gets better.

On 11/4/2021 at 5:35 PM, R C-R said:

The only thing I can think of that might be a contributing factor is that the Mac Mini is attached to a EIZO CS2740 4K UHD monitor, while (I assume) the MBP is using its built-in screen.

So maybe on the Mini check in System Preferences > Displays for anything that does not look right, although I have no idea what that might be.

@R C-R, thank you very much for your advice, based on which I have checked the monitor settings again. There is no abnormality there that would explain this strong delay.

As mentioned in my initial post, the delay is significantly less in the other two Affinity programs, Designer and Photo.

Also, I don't recall noticing these severe delays with Publisher versions prior to 1.10. Catalina was installed at that time as well. The MacMini is currently running on Big Sur.
I realize that the MacMini's graphics card (Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB) is not particularly powerful. But so far it has been sufficient for my purposes without any problemsin association with the Eizo monitor.

For comparison: I develop my photos on the MacMini in Capture One, which together with the Affinity programs is probably the most demanding on the graphics card. I also work with audio programs (WaveLab, Hindenburg), RapidWeaver, and Office Mac 2019, all of which don't seem to have any problems with the hardware, as I don't observe any performance issues here.

@Alex M, thank you very much for your comments and explanations. I will have a look at the linked post and also test the mentioned files on my system and report.

Affinity Photo V2.3.0 | Affinity Designer V2.3.0 | Affinity Publisher V2.3.0

Mac Studio M2 Ultra | 128 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.6 | EIZO CS2740 4K UHD
MacBook Pro Retina, 15", Mitte 2015 | 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB SSD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6