You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resource manager does not display RAW files.

14 minutes ago, Max N said:

Resource manager does not display RAW files. Checked on CR2 and ORF files.

Expected behaviour? RAW files will be inserted as Pixel Layer, other bitmap formats as Image. When you add a linked TIFF and rasterise it afterwards, the TIFF is now a Pixel Layer and is removed from the Resource Manager.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 11/4/2021 at 1:14 PM, Joachim_L said:

Expected behaviour? RAW files will be inserted as Pixel Layer, other bitmap formats as Image. When you add a linked TIFF and rasterise it afterwards, the TIFF is now a Pixel Layer and is removed from the Resource Manager.

If so, then everything is working correctly. Then maybe this is my wrong expectation and my mistake

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

Yes, RAW files that you Place end up as (Pixel) layers, and are therefore not shown in the Resource Manager.

Note that in general, you probably should only use RAW files in Photo, and even then only by File > Open or File > New Batch Job. Any other use of RAW files (whether in another Affinity application, or some other function in Photo) uses an incomplete Development process, ignoring the items that are applied by the Develop Assistant.

The only time it would be truly safe to use RAW images in the other applications or in other contexts is, I think, if you normally run Photo with all the Develop Assistant options turned off, and don't do any manual adjustments in the Develop Persona. In that case, you should get the same results via Place as you do via Open or New Batch Job. Otherwise, your results Placing a RAW file may be significantly different than you'd get Developing it to .afphoto or to TIFF (or even JPG) and Placing that file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you want it to appear in Resource Manager

You can use...

Layer > Convert to Image Resource

Which will add it as an "embedded" file in Resource Manager

You can then change that to a "linked" file if required

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 11/8/2021 at 4:54 PM, Gabe said:

Hi @Max N,

This is the excepted behaviour

However, we don't have a Publisher Beta running at the moment. Going forward, please use the retail version and report bugs in the correct section and not the beta forums. 

Tell me where to see if the betta is relevant?

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

5 minutes ago, Max N said:
Tell me where to see if the betta is relevant?

It's relevant if it is newer than the retail release. Generally, you can see whether there's an active beta by looking in (or Following) the relevant News and Information beta topic.

On Windows and Mac (but not as easily on iPad) you can also look at the build numbers (last part of the number shown in the startup splash screen, or Help > About). Higher build numbers are newer. Currently for Publisher the prior beta was 1.10.2.1187 and the current retail version is 1.10.4.1198. Currently, you can also see that the release number (4 vs 2) is higher for the retail version.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.