You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I change the scroll on my mouse wheel to ZOOM instead of scrolling?

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

Preferences > Tools > Use mouse wheel to zoom

Im such a noob, I was looking under UI :) That works great, now I'm fully weened from Photoshop! But I do miss the motion timeline for creating animated GIFS from layers... does Affinity plan on ever doing that? thx again. 

4 hours ago, herojig said:

In PS, my scroll wheel zooms. no idea why, but I really like that!!! Can I do it here? thx

or you can just press Ctrl/Cmd while using the scroll wheel. 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

thx @PaulEC, waiting for my ipad mini to arrive, and i'll be able to ditch all of this :)  ps. i got family in Alvechurch and i bet u know where that is. Have not been back since 2015, when I got hit and run by a car racing outta the pub there. Wonder if it's gotten any better since :)

3 hours ago, PaulEC said:

or you can just press Ctrl/Cmd while using the scroll wheel. 

Does this also work the other way round for you, i.e. you have activated the zoom option for the wheel but press Ctrl/Cmd or Alt/Opt to scroll?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

12 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Does this also work the other way round for you, i.e. you have activated the zoom option for the wheel but press Ctrl/Cmd or Alt/Opt to scroll?

Yes, it seems to work the other way round as well. However, one oddity I noticed: if you don't activate "Use Mouse Wheel to Zoom", you can use the "Shift" modifier to scroll horizontally, but if you activate it, "Shift" no longer works. (Alt rotates the doc.)

Edited by PaulEC

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

Yes, it seems to work the other way round as well. However, one oddity I noticed: if you don't activate "Use Mouse Wheel to Zoom", you can use the "Shift" modifier to scroll horizontally, but if you activate it, "Shift" no longer works. (Alt rotates the doc.)

Interesting. To me in macOS with activated zoom option none of the modifier keys do work: While the wheel with Cmd, Opt or Ctrl still zooms it does nothing with Shift (not even zoom). The activated zoom option appears to disable some scroll wheel functions.

Whereas with the zoom option unticked I get 4 variants and the wheel …

• scrolls vertically
• scrolls horizontally with Shift
• rotates with Cmd
• zooms with Opt

So, with the zoom option activated …
in Windows you can zoom & scroll (horizont.) – you can't scroll vertically
• in macOS I can zoom only – I can't scroll in any direction

Does one have an idea why the zooming scroll wheel does exclude scrolling?
With its activated zoom option Affinity disables the general scroll wheel function of "scrolling", which else works system-wide, e.g. in the macOS Finder or in Browser apps, in Acrobat it scrolls without key & zooms with Opt key. Modifier keys can change differently how the scroll wheel works – and differently with modifier keys and not all keys in each app – but they never disable the scroll function, Affinity excepted.

57 minutes ago, thomaso said:

in Windows you can zoom & scroll (horizont.) – you can't scroll vertically

Sorry, I wasn't clear, you can scroll vertically with Ctrl + the wheel when the zoom option is ticked. When unticked it works the other way round!

I've checked again, this seems to be right!

In Windows

With the zoom option unticked …

• scrolls vertically with the wheel alone
• scrolls horizontally with Shift
• rotates with Alt
• zooms with Ctrl

With the zoom option activated …

• zooms with the wheel alone
• scrolls vertically with Ctrl
• rotates with Alt
• scrolls horizontally with Ctrl + Shift

On 11/4/2021 at 7:17 AM, herojig said:

thx @PaulEC, waiting for my ipad mini to arrive, and i'll be able to ditch all of this :)  ps. i got family in Alvechurch and i bet u know where that is. Have not been back since 2015, when I got hit and run by a car racing outta the pub there. Wonder if it's gotten any better since :)

I'm afraid I don't know much about Alvechurch. (It must be thirty odd years since I've been there.) From where I am it's not far as the crow flies, but it's quite a journey if the crow is using public transport!  😁

11 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

From where I am it's not far as the crow flies, but it's quite a journey if the crow is using public transport!  😁

An unladen swallow would make the journey in 5 minutes!

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I'm afraid I don't know much about Alvechurch. (It must be thirty odd years since I've been there.) From where I am it's not far as the crow flies, but it's quite a journey if the crow is using public transport!  😁

ha, like nepal, anywhere off the beaten path in the UK seems a "journey." I do not recommend it's one and only Pub, but on Christmas, you can go ring the bells in the belfry of the 1100ad church, for which the town is named, I'm guessing. Its quite a workout :) 

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

5 minutes? according to the study, it flies at 24 mph and the distance is 11 or so miles, depending on which tree you dodge. my math sucks, but that's more like 30 minutes, if u stop for a worm. 

how did we get here again? now I'm researching Cape Vultures for some strange reason

8 minutes ago, thomaso said:

It's all about zooming, accessing details … 😎

Details in Alvechurch? With a Swallow? Surely that would have to be a laden swallow then, cameras are quite light now but there is still a certain amount of mass involved. Not to mention actual changes to the Reynolds number as the camera would need to be on the 'surface' somewhere.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

would have to be a laden swallow then, cameras are quite light now

With all the bio-engineering wonders of life, how come not a single living thing is able to zoom? With any of its perceptual organs?