You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer (1.10.4 MacOS 10.13.6) complete undo does not clear "[Modified]" in tab title bar

If I modify a drawing and then undo "all the way", the tab title bar in Affinity Designer still shows "[Modified]".

It shouldn't!  I've undone all my changes.

Feature request: Why isn't there "Revert To ..." (or just plain old-fashioned "Revert" under the "File" menu?

Feature appreciation: It's great that my old 10.13 version of MacOS on a old but still perfectly adequately fast Macbook is still actively supported by Designer and that it works very well.  Thanks!

affinity-modified-not-modified.png

Hi Richard and welcome to the forums...

I would say, 'technically' you've still modified the document so I would expect it to say Modified. It's the same as if I transform a shape and then undo that transform, even though my shape is back to its original 'form', I've still modified the document itself...

If I drive my car from its parking spot, go somewhere, then come back and park it in exactly the same spot, I wouldn't say that I've not been anywhere in the car just because it is in the identical position it was before I took that journey... just my take on it.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

2 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I wouldn't say that I've not been anywhere in the car just because it is in the identical position it was before I took that journey...

Nor would a traffic warden ... ;)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

15 hours ago, Richard Mlynarik said:

Feature request: Why isn't there "Revert To ..." (or just plain old-fashioned "Revert" under the "File" menu?

What would this do that you can't do with "Undo" (Ctrl +z) and/or the History tab?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

14 hours ago, PaulEC said:

What would this do that you can't do with "Undo" (Ctrl +z) and/or the History tab?

Well, I don't know.  Pretty much every other program ever has this.  But I guess they're all just wrong.

Thanks for sharing!  It's great to have a "bug reporting" system that is really just a fanboy forum.

15 hours ago, Hangman said:

Hi Richard and welcome to the forums...

I would say, 'technically' you've still modified the document so I would expect it to say Modified. It's the same as if I transform a shape and then undo that transform, even though my shape is back to its original 'form', I've still modified the document itself...

If I drive my car from its parking spot, go somewhere, then come back and park it in exactly the same spot, I wouldn't say that I've not been anywhere in the car just because it is in the identical position it was before I took that journey... just my take on it.

Cool cool cool.

Hey we could make completely wrong analogies in terms of homotopy equivalence instead of parking, but they'd still be wrong.

Here's the deal.  In EVERY OTHER PROGRAM IN THE UNIVERSE that has an "undo" feature, when you've undone every single change that you made, you now have something to which no changes have been made.

If there's nothing left to undo, the document is unchanged, and I don't need to worry about saving modifications.

It really is that simple.

Man, what a waste of time.

Giving you an answer you don't like doesn't mean forumers are fan boys...

But don't forget Affinity apps memorise the history, so, it's a modification.

And as another example try modifying a document in ID: the "*" meaning [modified] will remain, even if you undo all your steps to get back to the original state. So I'm not sure to see a difference here.