You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all

Just starting out with Afinity having been using CS6 for a long time.  The only thing missing for me is a web deveroment program.   It there was somthing to replace DreamWeaver I could finally stop uing CS6, Any chance of this?
IF not can anyone recommend a reasonable Web development program?  I want too finally retire my MAC Pro.
Regards

Chris

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

16 hours ago, jamedia.uk said:

can anyone recommend a reasonable Web development program?

My favourite is Blocs, there are probably better apps but just my personal choice. (Mac only)

Another option is Pinegrow Web Editor, this is multi-platform.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for that but after 20 years I am moving off MAC's  I still have a PPC MAC (deseased I think)  and will not me moving to the M based macs. 
This is why I need something to replace my MAc based Dreamweaver that does not involve renting the software.

You may or may not be aware that there was a web design solution in the Serif Plus range (WebPlus). At Affinity's inception, Serif made it very clear that it would be the end of the line in web design software for Serif, and that there would never be anything similar in the Affinity range. Lots of us felt we were left high and dry, but fortunately I don't do much web design any longer. If I did, I'd probably just use one of the online tools.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

I use Blumenthal's WeBuilder. it costs about the same as an Affinity app (€49,95). It is not WYSIWYG, but the great advantage for me is that the Preview mode has a built-in PHP interpreter.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

WYSIWYG Web Builder is a good option if you’re looking for WYSIWYG web building. It can create adaptive web sites (something that Serif WebPlus can’t do) and its forms designer includes the option to generate and upload a PHP script to handle the form data. There’s a fully functional 30-day trial.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 11/4/2021 at 10:47 AM, firstdefence said:

Another option is Pinegrow Web Editor, this is multi-platform.

@Chills

Yes this is the best DreamWeaver alternative option and has the possibility to do a *one time payment instead of prescription.

It works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

*As you can see here:

https://pinegrow.com/#buy

16 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Try taking a look at Everweb which is Mac only. It’s a no code wysiwyg program which is a fully capable program.

That sounds like a nice option for Mac users but the OP wrote:

On 11/4/2021 at 10:17 AM, Chills said:

after 20 years I am moving off MAC's

Alfred spacer.png

Can’t image why you would want to move away from a Mac Pro. Have you used windows! Still you have I’m sure your reasons. Personally I would say stick with Mac. I would be interested though to know why your considering a move away from Mac if that’s what you’re doing. Is your current Mac Pro old or what, or is it to replace it with a new Mac would be too expensive for you

You can also tryout Google Web Designer, for creating website design, animated adverts and certain other website based related things etc., it's freeware.

However, personally I usually just need a good text editor for such things. And since every better text editor also offers/allows a direct & immediately on code change webbrowser preview, the WYSIWYG is done by the used/linked/associated webbrowser. - Further, if you want to understand/learn certain web development aspects and technologies, do it hardcore & code them manually. Then you better keep away from automatic, no code input/view, clicky mickey tools, the later are more meant for dullies.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

55 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Can’t image why you would want to move away from a Mac Pro. Have you used windows! Still you have I’m sure your reasons. Personally I would say stick with Mac. I would be interested though to know why your considering a move away from Mac if that’s what you’re doing. Is your current Mac Pro old or what, or is it to replace it with a new Mac would be too expensive for you

I have used MACs for 20 Years. I still have a PPC mac here.  I have also used MS-DOS, DR-DOS, UNIX, Minix, Linux, Windows 3.1, 95/8, XP. 7. 10, OS2, OS9, FreeRTOS, LynxOS and a few others. I am an embedded Systems Engineer. I design both hardware and software. I have been in the electronics/computing industry over 40 years. My new PC cost  a littl e less than the new Mac Pro.  https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/   (though it has double the performance)  and is replacing an older MAc Pro.
I could bore you to death with the minutiue of why I am moving off MAC's.  However it is a personal desision based on my specific circumstances not a global or generic reason.  Other people might find that it is best for them to move the opther way thoughmany of the reasons for going to mac were deminishing. 
However lets not dreail the thread and look at PC based web site building tools.

The most "votes" seem to be for https://pinegrow.com/   as a dreamweaver replacement.

4 minutes ago, Chills said:

The most "votes" seem to be for https://pinegrow.com/   as a dreamweaver replacement.

29 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

However, personally I usually just need a good text editor for such things. And since every better text editor also offers/allows a direct & immediately on code change webbrowser preview, the WYSIWYG is done by the used/linked/associated webbrowser.

The Atom text editor is ideal for use with Pinegrow.

https://pinegrow.com/pinegrow-atom.html

Alfred spacer.png

38 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Maybe and in case of Pinegrow, if they offer a direct syncing with Atom.

However, there are a bunch of such Electron webengine based editors, like Atom, Brackets and Visual Studio Code. Where I believe the later (VS Code) is the most powerfull from. - But all of these are slower, huge memory hungry monsters, due to being Typescript & Electron webbrowser engine based.

Thus I prefer something traditional much more memory efficient and also much faster operating (Editors mostly programmed in C/C++/Obj-C or Swift here), aka things like Sublime Text, TextMate (Mac) & TextMate GitHub, Notepad++ (Win), Gnu Emacs (well you know there is always a mode for everything and thus nothing you can't do with Emacs LOL) or VIM etc. just to name a few of them here. - However, there a generally a lot of powerfull text editors available for all operating systems and those I named are only few of them, there are also more specific ones for web development purposes like Coda/Nova etc.!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

7 minutes ago, Grotesker said:

Use Sparkle, much the best, but only on Mac so don't ditch the Mac Pro yet!

on the MAc Pro I have Dreamweaver. 
I am looking for a PC website  builder. (not word Press)

On 11/6/2021 at 8:09 PM, v_kyr said:
  On 11/6/2021 at 7:34 PM, Alfred said:

@Chills

Pinegrow works perfect with VS code too (there is a VS code plugin for syncing with Pinegrow) I personally use Sublime Text 4, but always have  VS code as fall back in case I have issues with Sublime text. I must say that VS code is not so slow anymore as in the past. Pinegrow is used in our studio for the Interaction Greensock animator that is available as a plugin. But when your used to Dreamweaver, Pinegrow is a good substitute with many possibilities and enthousiast developers that surprise me every couple of months with new feature updates.

https://pinegrow.com/docs/master-pinegrow/using-external-code-editors/visual-studio-code/