You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing Objects, non-destructive..?

Hey, so I'm not totally clear on how Affinity handles objects/layers.

When I resize a bitmap layer, upscaling it, does it retain the same pixel data and is just enlarged?

Within Photoshop, upscaling a bitmap object without first turning it into a Smart Object will inflate the image with more pixels. 

So are bitmap object in both Designer and Photo acting somewhat like PS Smart Objects..?

Please explain!

Thanks!

JA

• Staff

Hi IamJaGold,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, resizing in Affinity (Image layers) is a non-destructive operation, the original data of the image is kept and the resampling is only used to display it on screen and when you export it, unless you downscale and rasterise it for editing which will then convert it to a Pixel layer with the same dpi as you document.

Haha @jmac, ya I understand your confusion.

It took me a couple of reads to catch on! 

Basically a raster bitmap layer defaults as a Smart Object in AF, unlike Photoshop where it defaults as a raster and you have to turn it into a Smart Object first.

@MEB, I like this workflow, I've wanted that to be the default with PS for a while, so that's cool you are on the same line of thinking as me :)

;)