You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Infinite Beach Ball When Saving

llsproat

I am not able to reproduce this consistently, but Affinity photo will sometimes hang with a beach ball of death at the save-as dialog. This requires force quitting the application and hoping the recovery file works as expected. This does not happen to any other application with a save dialog.

I have attached a trace from activity monitor and a screenshot of the problem.

This is Affinity Photo 1.10.4 on macOS Monterey 12.0.1 on a 2021 MBP M1 Max.

1209889953_ScreenShot2021-11-02at20_09_47.thumb.png.003cf25ba04d4af047890dd0c18dfb26.png

Sample of Affinity Photo hang.txt

• Staff

Hi @llsproatand Welcome to the Forums,

I've tried replicating this on my M1 MacBook Air running Monterey and have been able to carry out 20 saves, making a change after each one and didn't get the issue.  We are aware of some issues with Monterey, which are listed here, so it's possible this is related. 

I will continue to try and replicate the issue today and also pass on the Activity Monitor trace to the QA team to see if they can spot anything from it :) 

I am facing similar issues when saving files from Affinity Photo, Designer or Publisher (all 1.10.4 releases on macOS 10.15.7 Catalina, on 2019 Intel MBP). As soon as a file dialogue is required (new file/new name), there is a very big risk of infinite beach ball. Does not happen when saving existing file.

I thought first it was the latest update of Default Folder X that needs to load with each file dialogue, but reverting to a previous version did not help.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:25 AM, vonBusing said:

I am facing similar issues when saving files from Affinity Photo, Designer or Publisher (all 1.10.4 releases on macOS 10.15.7 Catalina, on 2019 Intel MBP). As soon as a file dialogue is required (new file/new name), there is a very big risk of infinite beach ball. Does not happen when saving existing file.

I thought first it was the latest update of Default Folder X that needs to load with each file dialogue, but reverting to a previous version did not help.

For me it also exclusively happens while saving for the first time. I've not seen an issue when saving iteratively.

@stokerg another maybe relevant fact is that the resulting afphoto files that trigger this are pretty large, often a couple gigabytes. I suspect that the longer you go without saving initially the more likely it happens but they is just a suspicion. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Affinity photo 1.10.5

MacOS 12.2.1

H/W Macbook Air M1

I'm having the same problem too. Sometimes Affinity photo manage to save the file but it takes 10-20minutes, other times it just hangs forever. First I thought the problem was related to my NAS (Synology 216play using NFS and SMB 1G/b connection) since I only experienced this behaviour when saving files to the NAS (rarly use the local disk). But I have no problem accessing files on the NAS while Affinity is saving the file. The Affinity photo files are usually ~1-2GB in size. This is very annoying

• 1 month later...

I have this thing happen when I go in Export Persona and export the file. I need force quit and relaunch the program and it's fine when export after that.

I have also this problem, when I start my Mac Pro 2013 then launch Affinity Photo, the launching process is very slow. I quit and relaunch it's fine.

PS I also have Default Folder X

Montery V12.4, Affinity Photo 1.10.5

4 hours ago, Claude_ch said:

I have this thing happen when I go in Export Persona and export the file. I need force quit and relaunch the program and it's fine when export after that.

4 hours ago, Claude_ch said:

PS I also have Default Folder X

This might be a cause of the problem. I don't know for certain. 

The slow startup is a Mac OS thing, has to do with protection.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.