You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP: Does image quality change when converting an Image layer to a Pixel layer?

I am editing high-rez 16-bit AdobeRGB photo images. I see that in order to copy/paste a selection from such an image I must first convert the Image layer to a Pixel layer. When doing this is there any change of image quality, such as in the smoothness of gradients or in the overall tonal quality? Thanks.

• MacBook Pro 15 Retina, i7 Quad Core, 1TB NVME SSD, 16GB, NVIDIA, macOS 10.13.6, Wacom Cintiq
  • Mac Mini, i5, 16GB, 500GB SSD's (2), macOS 10.11.6
  • Custom PC, MSI ACE Motherboard, Intel 4.1GHz, 64GB, NVIDIA, PCIe M.2 NVME SSD's (3), XP-PEN Artist 22E Tablet Monitor

I don't see any issues but you can prove it for yourself
Duplicate the image layer, rasterise it and set the blend mode to Difference
The canvas should be black meaning the layers are identical

ps with Windows a marquee selection can be copied from an Image layer by using Edit/Copy flattened. I believe this didn't used to work on a Mac but don't know if that is still the case

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I am editing high-rez 16-bit AdobeRGB photo images. I see that in order to copy/paste a selection from such an image I must first convert the Image layer to a Pixel layer. When doing this is there any change of image quality, such as in the smoothness of gradients or in the overall tonal quality? Thanks.

Should be able to use the Marquee for a slection and then use Edit > Copy Merged, no rasterizing  needed.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

In this one instance it is.

Then there is the Flatten in the Document Menu. That is called Flatten on Mac, I presume it is the same in Windows because that command does exactly what the tin says.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Thanks David and Bruce. Coming from Photoshop, the Image layers vs. Pixel layers for various editing functions in AP is new to me.

I used the example of copy/paste earlier, but my main concern is how does this conversion affect final image quality in subtle areas like smooth gradients, micro-contrast, tonal rendition or anywhere else. 

I was hoping this was a topic already well known in the Affinity community that could be answered to save me a few hours of testing and pixel peeping. Thanks.

• MacBook Pro 15 Retina, i7 Quad Core, 1TB NVME SSD, 16GB, NVIDIA, macOS 10.13.6, Wacom Cintiq
  • Custom PC, MSI ACE Motherboard, Intel 4.1GHz, 64GB, NVIDIA, PCIe M.2 NVME SSD's (3), XP-PEN Artist 22E Tablet Monitor

2 hours ago, Rich said:

I am editing high-rez 16-bit

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

my main concern is how does this conversion affect final image quality in subtle areas like smooth gradients, micro-contrast, tonal rendition or anywhere else. 

With 16 bit you shouldn't have to worry. I don't.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

I used the example of copy/paste earlier, but my main concern is how does this conversion affect final image quality in subtle areas like smooth gradients, micro-contrast, tonal rendition or anywhere else. 

From the Image layers help topic:

An image layer has a container which retains the placed image's original color space, resolution and physical dimensions (when placed at native resolution).

So when rasterizing an Image layer, it is converted to the document color space, which might have a visible effect if the document color space is different from that of the image layer.

As has been mentioned, the best way to check this for acceptability is to test it using a copy.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
16 hours ago, David in Яuislip said:
17 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Edit > Copy Merged

Aha, is that what it's called in MacLand?

CopyMergedOrWhat.png

I can confirm this difference is logged with our developers, I've 'bumped' this issue with your report here :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

I can confirm this difference is logged with our developers, I've 'bumped' this issue with your report here :)

Glad my post helped to solve an AP problem, but unfortunately not my own.

I was hoping for more information than to just go find the answer myself via my own testing. Doesn't anyone else care about non-destructive image editing? Most professionals do.

19 hours ago, R C-R said:

As has been mentioned, the best way to check this for acceptability is to test it....

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

I was hoping for more information than to just go find the answer myself via my own testing. Doesn't anyone else care about non-destructive image editing? Most professionals do.

There were two responses to your question about rasterizing. There may not have an explicit "Just use Edit > Copy Merge/Flatten" but that is what they boiled down to. The rest of the responses are about the Copy Merge/Flatten difference between Mac and Windows.

To recap,

23 hours ago, Rich said:

You do not have to Convert the image layer to a Pixel layer before copying. You can just Copy Merged/Flattened. 16 Bits is plenty of depth to hold onto all the detail.

On 11/2/2021 at 8:10 PM, Rich said:

I must first convert the Image layer to a Pixel layer. When doing this is there any change of image quality,

If you have image layer instead of pixel layer in your document you have placed images to your document, as layers. If you have selected document resolution wisely it will work OK. In rasterizing image layer the resolution converted to that of document resolution (as I have understood), which may mean that detail are lost if document resolution is lower. If lower resolution layer is then manipulated it is possible to get a lower quality image compared to that if manipulations had been done to original image layer.

Anyway, if document resolution is right there should be no problems.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

Anyway, if document resolution is right there should be no problems.

It is still good to understand that if there is upscaling [EDIt: or downscaling] involved, it can have undesired side effects. I would personally never upscale rasterize uncritically, without being able to choose the resampling algorithm:

rasterization.png.e80a07e9b310aa640e6fea2620bfc577.png

rasterization.pdf

Edited by Lagarto
Updated attachments to show the effect of both upscaling and downscaling