You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher crashes when I use the space bar.

I am having this issue as well, immediate crashes when loading a file with .afpub extension, able to open and edit text, able to save, but hitting spacebar causes immediate crash.

I have also been able to crash the program by attempting to open a PDF file.

System is an i7-11700 with a GeForce RTX 3070 running Windows 11, Publisher is latest ver 1.10.4.1198.

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Phil Tseng!

Do you have hardware acceleration on? If Yes, then turn it off. If not, help the developers and post a crash report here. Instructions you'll find in the below post.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

6 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Phil Tseng!

Do you have hardware acceleration on? If Yes, then turn it off. If not, help the developers and post a crash report here. Instructions you'll find in the below post.

I am not a computer expert. I googled Hardware acceleration & no I don't seem to have this.

I used your instructions to find the crash report. I found it & double clicked on the last one displayed to open it.
It then asked me to select a program to open it. I selected Notepad from the options as all the others did not seem appropriate. It then opened a page of what looks like gobbledegook to me, is this what you want ?

If so I feel uncomfortable about the security of posting this on an open forum. Is it safe to do so ? 

2 minutes ago, Paul Cuffo said:

I googled Hardware acceleration & no I don't seem to have this.

Have a look inside the Affinity application under Preferences > Performance if the option is selected.

2 minutes ago, Paul Cuffo said:

I found it & double clicked on the last one displayed to open it.

Just upload the file to the forum. I am not an expert, but this crash report does not contain any vital security relevant information to my knowledge.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hi Joachim_L 

I just went to Affinity Publisher & selected preferences, then IT CRASHED again.

I may post the crash repost for one of the the earlier Space Bar crashes later today as I have to go out now.
Please could anyone else advise me on the security of posting a crash report from my laptop on an open forum.

I am having this same problem, though it happens when I start typing text. I also couldn't access the Performance tab. But I found my crash reports and I have no problem posting them here. I've just started using Publisher and before I started, I downloaded the update. For some reason I can't upload files to this forum, so I've attached a Google Drive link with the crash reports.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bW0fkKM40QDEVm2jGG02ssp7c-g6q7Aq?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Have a look inside the Affinity application under Preferences > Performance if the option is selected.

Just upload the file to the forum. I am not an expert, but this crash report does not contain any vital security relevant information to my knowledge.

Trying to open the Edit | Preferences dialog also crashes Affinity consistently, which appears to match Paul's experience.

I am attaching two crash reports here. The newer 2.4mb file is from trying to open the prefs dialog. The older 4.1mb file is either from opening a PDF or hitting the space bar.

df64331b-071d-4aa1-a035-7d0674261ff7.dmp 8f946b73-47a8-4ce5-aca4-8704406dc0c2.dmp

• Staff

This is usually related to autocorrect settings. If you were to rename the app data folder then run the app up that should stop the crashing. If it does we would be interested in getting a copy of htose renamed appdata folders.

e.g. rename the '1.0' folder

C:\Users\pstub\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0

20 minutes ago, Pauls said:

This is usually related to autocorrect settings. If you were to rename the app data folder then run the app up that should stop the crashing. If it does we would be interested in getting a copy of htose renamed appdata folders.

e.g. rename the '1.0' folder

C:\Users\pstub\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0

Thank you for the suggestion, this appears to fix the issue. Odd behavior. I'll attach the previous folder.

@Paul Cuffo @Shelley_Hazen Give this a try. I simply went to %AppData%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\, up one level, and renamed the 1.0 folder as 1.0_backup.

Cheers

1.0_backup.zip

• Staff

alternatively you could hold the control key down whilst launhing the app. You should get a panel where if you choose the options shown below then select clear will reset autocorrect settings. Note you will lose any customised settings

image.png

• 9 months later...