IamJaGold

Zbrush PSD files, some work, some don't

Hi!

Okay, I just downloaded the latest Beta's for Designer and Photo (1.3.5.10) and tested the PSD files for Zbrush. 

I did a full spread render with the default Zbrush Render, about half the files opened.

I also did a Keyshot external render of 8bit and 32bit renders, and the 8bit works, 32 doesn't.

Here's a dropbox link of all the files, so you can test for yourself.

Cheers!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vkkxmjy434okbpm/AACbfHEaUByK5FYQgOn8-LB4a?dl=0

post-22364-0-77860900-1448493789_thumb.png

Hi IamJaGold

The reason certain PD file cannot be parsed is that they have features in them that Affinity Photo does not have. The majority of the files that won't open are multichannel alphas which Photo does not have and we also do not use 32bit colour spaces hence why that file also won't open.

I will log this however to try and improve our PSD support so these types of files can be opened

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I'm not sure what point there is in being able to open them if we don't have the tools to be able to edit them.  Certainly, we are not supporting multichannel or 32-bit right now.

We can convert a greyscale/alpha only file in 8 or 16 bit to our normal grey format - but what does that gain you?  We won't be saving back to PSD multichannel.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I'm indifferent to 32bit PSD, and it is possible to render the multi-channel PSDs as TIFFS and open them. 

From the standpoint of a pro Photoshop user (15+ years) the one thing I've always enjoyed is the universal nature of PSD compatibility, so basically a .psd extension means I can open and use it in Photoshop. So ya, I do consider it an important piece of Affinity Photo's game to be able to open PSD files without exception, and for it to work and render exactly as it does in Photoshop. Otherwise I can't abandon Photoshop. If I can't abandon PS, hence I pay $9.95/mo for PS CC, then it stands to reason, why would I use Affinity Photo at all. I'm paying for Photoshop still... right?

Just saying ;) 

There is no third party app that can open all PSD files perfectly.  Due to the fact that Adobe does not document the format with all the details, and that they have their own proprietary way of compositing layers and dealing with gradients and alpha, no third party app can be expected to open all PSD files exactly as Photoshop would.  Affinity also has a different document model.  There is not a one-to-one mapping between the two.  Consequently, some imported PSD files will be restructured for Affinity, and some exported PSD files will also be restructured or flattened where PSD cannot represent our enhanced clipping, masking and hierarchy model.

We have always been clear that we are not providing a one-to-one replacement for Photoshop.  If you need 100% PSD compatibility, then you need Photoshop.

We are, however, trying to provide the best third party support for PSD, and will always focus on the elements of PSD that covers the widest demographic.  Until now, no one else has requested multichannel support or 32-bit.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

There is no third party app that can open all PSD files perfectly.  Due to the fact that Adobe does not document the format with all the details, and that they have their own proprietary way of compositing layers and dealing with gradients and alpha, no third party app can be expected to open all PSD files exactly as Photoshop would.  Affinity also has a different document model.  There is not a one-to-one mapping between the two.  Consequently, some imported PSD files will be restructured for Affinity, and some exported PSD files will also be restructured or flattened where PSD cannot represent our enhanced clipping, masking and hierarchy model.

We have always been clear that we are not providing a one-to-one replacement for Photoshop.  If you need 100% PSD compatibility, then you need Photoshop.

We are, however, trying to provide the best third party support for PSD, and will always focus on the elements of PSD that covers the widest demographic.  Until now, no one else has requested multichannel support or 32-bit.

Ben, you’re wrong. Multichannel & 32 bit support has been requested several times before by me and several other users, although we had several formats in mind(PSD, OpenExr, HDR).  Anyone dealing with 3D stuff seriously uses multichannel and 32bit for compositing.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Ok, three or four people have requested it.   ;)

I'm not sure hat the plan would be for supporting multichannel or 32-bit.  If there is one it will appear on the roadmap.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB