You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

switch from shape tool to select when shape is drawn?

So far I could not find a way to set app that way, after drawing a shape, app continues in that mode (mouse down will begin new shape).

I have been using Sketch a lot and there the shape can be selected after drawing which is much more relevant. Can Affinity be set to do this too (or at least place select tool button at a better accessible site on screen?)

Thanks.

• Staff

The shape will be selected after you drag but will always stay in the shape tool so you can create more shapes. In this situation why do you need the select tool as you can do most commands from the shape tool. If it's to move the object then you can do that by dragging the object on the selection frame. If not then a quick way to get back to the select tool is by pressing 'v'.

• Staff

…unless you're in the text tool - which means a trip to the toolbox or the 'esc' key.

Would be nice to move a piece of text without having to deselect.

We will look at this. There isn't any reason we shouldn't be able to get it working.

I am having problems when I hit the V key it sometimes gives me the pan tool or hand icon, then if I hit the space bar I get the node tool. The behaviour is weird and I can't figure it out. When I hit the v key I expect the move tool always, not the pan "hand" icon. When I hit the A key I expect the node tool...

I usually resort to hitting each key in succession until I get what I want. What is going on here...? If this is a "by design" feature it's not very intuitive.  :unsure:  

• Staff

If you're *already in the move tool*, pressing V again will go back to whatever tool you were in previously.

Same goes for all tool shortcut keys - press it to get your tool, the press it again (without having to move your hand) to get back to your previous tool.

I use this feature pretty much all the time - has become invaluable to me, but each to his own.

Thanks,

AndyS

That's the thing Andy, I wouldn't think to press V again as I am already using it instead I would press A or spacebar, the tool that I want, not a toggle... this behaviour would be nice as a preference on or off.

Now that I know what's going on I'll try it for awhile and report back...  ;)