You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Large PSD files not opening properly in Affinity Photo

We can open PSD files in Affinity Photo but it doesn't transcribe correctly, that is, colours change radically and layers are missing. Is there a reason for this and have you a solution please? I am shooting Fujifilm GFX importing to Capture One, exporting variants in TIFF 16bit, where our retoucher commence her process in PS. She sends us the retouched layered PSD files to be tweaked if necessary. We were shocked to find that everything was off. We purchased the whole Affinity suit thinking that the transitions would be seamless.

Edited by Benjamin Kanarek

9 minutes ago, SPaceBar said:

Yes, I realised it was Photo but mistyped. I've just corrected it. Can I ask if you are using a Mac or a Windows machine?

Thank You! I am using a Mac, but our retoucher is on PC. I sent you a PM with links to two images. I cannot share here as the shoot hasn't been published. Can you open them up in Affinity please to see what I am talking about? 

Edited by Benjamin Kanarek
added text

That's ok, I was going to send you a link to a Dropbox folder but you beat me to it. I can access the files from there but it is better to discuss it here in case other customers have similar issues.

I have done some basic file comparisons which I won't share here. The image with 2 people in is very close here on a side-by-side comparison on my iMac.

I can see the issue you mention about the green colour being visible on Photoshop but not on Affinity Photo. I've looked through the layers to see which Photoshop edit created the green as it's not part of the original photo.

It's a layer mask that is named colour background that created it. When comparing it to Photo we could see that there is a slider called Constant that isn't being reproduced. If you edit the Offset in Photo to match the Photoshop version you will see the green. I will get this logged.

As PSD's are Adobe's proprietary file format, we can only interpret them. The feature sets aren't 1:1 so you can't always map them easily from one application to the other.

Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 15.03.44.png

The issue is with the folder associated with the man. You can group the adjustments together as long as there isn't a pixel layer inside the group. You had 3 adjustment layers in a group with a Pixel layer called skin. This then means that all of those adjustments are applied to whatever is on the pixel layer hence the marks on his face.

I moved the layer called skin (Pixel) out of the group and it now looks ok.

layers-screenshot.png

I think the colour variance was more to do with the issue I mentioned above.

23 hours ago, SPaceBar said:

That's ok, I was going to send you a link to a Dropbox folder but you beat me to it. I can access the files from there but it is better to discuss it here in case other customers have similar issues.

I have done some basic file comparisons which I won't share here. The image with 2 people in is very close here on a side-by-side comparison on my iMac.

I can see the issue you mention about the green colour being visible on Photoshop but not on Affinity Photo. I've looked through the layers to see which Photoshop edit created the green as it's not part of the original photo.

It's a layer mask that is named colour background that created it. When comparing it to Photo we could see that there is a slider called Constant that isn't being reproduced. If you edit the Offset in Photo to match the Photoshop version you will see the green. I will get this logged.

As PSD's are Adobe's proprietary file format, we can only interpret them. The feature sets aren't 1:1 so you can't always map them easily from one application to the other.

Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 15.03.44.png