You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher for iPad Pro

3 hours ago, ConnectCreative said:

Out of curiosity, why are they referring to 'Publisher 2 iPad', where's Publisher 1 iPad?! Unless they are also bringing out Photo 2/Designer 2? And what about Publisher 1 Desktop?

What IS ‘Publisher 2 iPad’ ?

It can be. Just like there is Office 365, while there weren't 25,58,125,234 and 364. Its just a name. But I know what you mean. It could very well be named iPad Publisher, as there were none before it. But I belive its done on purpose, to differenciate it from curent, so to say v1 family, generation of apps.

22 minutes ago, mrqasq said:

It can be. Just like there is Office 365, while there weren't 25,58,125,234 and 364. Its just a name. But I know what you mean. It could very well be named iPad Publisher, as there were none before it. But I belive its done on purpose, to differenciate it from curent, so to say v1 family, generation of apps.

I guess it is just a name, yes, but names often hint at what you’re getting. It’s almost like a qualification. Since the naming is different, it suggests that what’s in the can is different, too. 

like coke classic. Is it real coca-cola? If it is, why does it have a different name? It suggests you’re not actually getting the real thing, but some kind of euphemistically-named substitute. 

this might be overthinking….

however, when I learned that it seemed there’d be an iPad version of possibly the greatest graphics suite ever created, it felt like the plan was to offer a cross-platform work environment…

…which I feel is why we’re all on the edge of our seats waiting for it. 

having a v2 when there isn’t even a v1 makes one think that it’s not a continuation of what we have on mac and windows, but something with clipped wings. 

still…will be cool when it arrives.

43 minutes ago, ConnectCreative said:

I know that, but I'm asking how there can be a Publisher v2 for iPad when there's not been a v1?!

Why Not? - Perhaps to bring all the products under one name now the family is getting bigger.... Anything is possible.

I did wonder about the numbering of Publisher for iPad. But (assuming there isn't a v1 followed rapidly by v2) it probably makes more sense for all nine apps in version 2 of the Affinity suite to be referred to as v2, rather than Publisher for iPad having a different version number. I can see that there could be a lot of confusion, as people new to Affinity would probably assume that "Publisher for iPad v1" was actually an earlier version than all the other apps in the suite and, therefore, not compatible with them!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, VectorCat said:

I guess it is just a name, yes, but names often hint at what you’re getting. It’s almost like a qualification. Since the naming is different, it suggests that what’s in the can is different, too. 

Yeah it’s telling you exactly what you’re getting. You’re getting the v2 codebase and feature set scaled for iPad. 

if they brought out all new apps for the other platforms at v2 and the iPad at v1 then I’d assume it was on the same codebase as publisher v1

You’ll notice that iPadOS debuted with a high version number than 1.0. 

I like the Affinity products but I am a bit disappointed with the "consumer communication". It's a shame that the information comes from Apple and not from them. If there is an Affinity admin, it would be nice to hear from him..

«The breakthrough performance of M2 enhances an incredible selection of pro apps available on iPad, including DaVinci Resolve, Adobe Photoshop, Affinity Publisher 2 iPad, Octane X, uMake, and more.»

13 minutes ago, firstnose said:

I like the Affinity products but I am a bit disappointed with the "consumer communication".

The main source of information has been Apple “leaks” in their screenshots. Nothing official about a release date. 

I suggest more starching of the underwear. Prevents getting them in a twist. 

20 hours ago, Olsberg said:

Only me that likes to read footnotes? 😉

From the iPad Pro page:

So we’ll have to wait a bit more, hopefully not more than 2 months and 2 weeks.

Serif staff in another thread claim that it’s only a beta version of Affinity Publisher for iPad that will be released THIS year…

So, don’t predict that Publisher for iPad is around the corner for the public…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

Since the new iPadOS is due to be released on Monday Oct 24th, hopefully the new Affinity version on the same platform (iPadOS) will be released as well. 

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

27 minutes ago, edwardsson said:

Since the new iPadOS is due to be released on Monday Oct 24th, hopefully the new Affinity version on the same platform (iPadOS) will be released as well. 

No…

Perhaps we will see some kind of beta version of Publisher for iPad this year, but, public release will probably be next year…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

2 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

No…

Perhaps we will see some kind of beta version of Publisher for iPad this year, but, public release will probably be next year…

The hope is the last thing that abandons you. On Monday we will have the answer if Affinity managed to release their new baby or not.

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

• Staff

This thread has served its purpose. Apple has shown Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad will be available soon(near the bottom of that page and in this video. Thread locked

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon