You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher for iPad Pro

Now it's nearly a week into the month of September. I hope they will release the AP for iPad very soon due to this weeks Apple Event. Hope they will not delay the release of AP for the iPad until Apples release of the new iPadOS (that is rumoured to be delayed some weeks or more).

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

1 minute ago, edwardsson said:

Now it's nearly a week into the month of September. I hope they will release the AP for iPad very soon due to this weeks Apple Event. Hope they will not delay the release of AP for the iPad until Apples release of the new iPadOS (that is rumoured to be delayed some weeks or more).

It's likely there may be software features needed which AP has been engineered to use. (Nothing to do with Stage Manager, but everything to do with virtual memory maybe).

Otherwise why delay when I have £££ waiting 😀

1 minute ago, Matt Johnston said:

It's likely there may be software features needed which AP has been engineered to use. (Nothing to do with Stage Manager, but everything to do with virtual memory maybe).

Otherwise why delay when I have £££ waiting 😀

I really, really hope that the AP for iPad will be workable in my iPad Air 3. If not, 😢😥😭

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

Sorry to be pedantic, but, to avoid confusion,  AP is normally used to refer to Affinity Photo. The usual shortcut for Affinity Publisher is APub. (If you hover over the shortcuts in forum posts you should see a popup!) 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

34 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but, to avoid confusion,  AP is normally used to refer to Affinity Photo. The usual shortcut for Affinity Publisher is APub. (If you hover over the shortcuts in forum posts you should see a popup!) 

That is super pedantic but I’ll make sure I don’t make that mistake again. 

40 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Correct(ed). 

The last big Apple event of the year is in mid October, when iPadOS 16 is shown.

if affinity publisher is not released then I will be surprised, in fact I would guess 2.0 of all three affinity apps will be released in October. Apple and affinity use the phrase “soon” and “by the end of the year” to describe when publisher will be out. I hope that’s true.

• 4 weeks later...

Figured it may likely be an iPadOS 16 release when first announced, just a hunch, but I’d say definitely right. So my call is we see this within a month of now. I know iPadOS 16 is likely only days away, just giving my prediction some fat!!

I'm not pushing Adobe Max... just that its going on at the same time we see the first real promise of Publisher coming on iPad.

The one thing I wish my M1 iPad pro had is the new hover for pencil. I use my iPad with astropad to do 3D and hover is a work around right now.

2 hours ago, Guoccamolé said:

Unfortunately, nothing (yet) in the App Store.

Only me that likes to read footnotes? 😉

From the iPad Pro page:

• The Octane X, Affinity Publisher 2 iPad, and DaVinci Resolve for iPad apps will be available later this year.

So we’ll have to wait a bit more, hopefully not more than 2 months and 2 weeks.

I would like to speculate some more with you guys, especially now, since we're living in strange times. Where we ask our beloved developers for any insight, and yet we have to rely on the other parties to provide any information... But since we already got something, I would like to analyze it to the maximum. I have to admit that I was counting that instead of the Publisher 2 for iPad, we would instead get something like a "Affinity Studio" which would be a Studio Linked version of all 3 apps.

I don't know if it's just me, but on desktop PC I converted from Designer with its Photo persona, directly into Publisher with its studio link. Since I mostly do with simple DTP, creating ads, vouchers, pamphlets, some easy photo editing, nothing too serious - I constantly had to decide in which program to start it, to then later not regret the decision.

You know it's strange for me, strange decision, UI and fundamentally wrong (but it's their decision) let me explain :

• First we had a Designer, which had a pixel persona, it basically combined both vector and raster capabilities in one app, but than people started to see obvious limitations in this approach.
  • Soon we got Photo on desktop, and it did everything better, and I was amazed with inpaint, and non-destructive workflow
  • And lastly we got Publisher which introduced Studio Link (had you bought all the apps) and I was blown away..

But then I started to realize that I have some of my work in Designer, and I don't have some functions in the iPad version, I had an iPad Pro than, and the differences having the Photo and Designer on iPad, the UI being so different from desktop versions, many issues I had with files importing and exporting I couldn't justify time efforts etc. I ended up selling the iPad and getting Asus Zephyrus G7 instead. I installed Publisher, set some templates in Photo with different sizes pages and used that since.

I'm very sad now that I know it will in fact be just a Publisher.

Looking on the screens, I'm happy for the :

• Live projects (which I think will be some multi-person live editing mode)
  • This part of the UI may indicate StudioLink which would be huge:
  • Screenshot_40.jpg.44451d3ba743c4b82b89ecb9683e6389.jpg

I understand that there are some fundamental differences in the approach to dealing with pages in (Publisher), artboards in (Designer), or canvases in (Photo)

But why can't we get only a Studio Link from Serif, and app for every task, a multiool so to speak - one app to rule them all projects and use cases.

In which we would do all things. We already have this functionality as a Studio Link, why not combine the app into one.

It's the XXI century now. There are no disk space limitations, no data transfer limitations. Why bother to handle 3x v1 apps on PC, 3x v1 apps on Mac, 2x v1 and 1x V2 apps on iPad. Instead, we could get Studio Link v1 for PC as an updated for PC and Mac with iPad. And then V2. This would mean less iteration of software, faster updates etc.

Would you agree with me? I'm curious to know your opinions on this matter.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, mrqasq said:

It's the XXI century now. There are no disk space limitations, no data transfer limitations. Why bother to handle 3x v1 apps on PC, 3x v1 apps on Mac, 2x v1 and 1x V2 apps on iPad. Instead, we could get Studio Link v1 for PC as an updated for PC and Mac with iPad. And then V2. This would mean less iteration of software, faster updates etc.

Would you agree with me? I'm curious to know your opinions on this matter.

Thanks!

We do have limits. The M1 series of hardware on iPad is the first with virtual memory so we do have hard limits before then. We do have real limits. Limits that might be tested by a monolithic app being loaded into memory. 

But more importantly, having everything in one monolithic app isn't necessarily a good thing. If I want to edit a photo I have to wait for the whole shebang to load. The whole app becomes harder to maintain and update. Worse - I don't like monolithic apps. 

I get frustrated on Mac Publisher because I have to remember to hit Save. Something that isn't needed on iPad apps on the whole. That also creates issues for version control and workflow.

I'd like Publisher tomorrow so I don't have to cart as much hardware around. I'd like it to seamlessly open Mac-created documents and have access to my iCloud. I want good PDF export* options. That's all.

*Crikey, I'd love some more PDF export options on Mac Publisher. 

56 minutes ago, mrqasq said:

There are no disk space limitations, no data transfer limitations.

Maybe not for you, but there's a big world out there and some people are not so fortunate!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad