You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher for iPad Pro

@iuliThis is the problem with entitlement.

People think that because they've *used* a PC for a while and they've *owned* an iPad for years that they know how computers work. I've literally been an IT professional for twenty five years. I've been working with Apple's OSes for thirty. I was messing with Mac OS X before it even was Mac OS X (Oh, Rhapsody!). I started the first app company in my country when the SDK became available. I've struggled building games that run acceptably well into the tiny amount of RAM available on iPhone. 

But people would rather put their fingers in their ears than admit they were wrong. 

17 minutes ago, VectorCat said:

So…is the speculation that only the latest iPads will be able to run Publisher, or we just don’t know?

The speculation seems to be that StudioLink will require Stage Manager, and that Stage Manager is restricted to the latest iPads.

We know nothing of what the requirements for Publisher will be on iPad, so I'm just ignoring all such speculation.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome, VectorCat.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff

We have not decided on the minimum spec yet but Affinity Publisher does not need Stage Manager to run on an iPad.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

35 minutes ago, Donloggins said:

A video showing the new publisher for iPad 

How do we know that's for iPad? Looks like the Desktop UI.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

Gone awful quiet. Pretty confident that Stage Manager itself has nothing to do with it. But there is a big difference with the memory and how it's not flushed. 

Maybe we will get a Publisher release for M1 and iOS 16 users when the public beta of IOS16 comes out in July?

(Edited for clarity)

As it was announced publisher would be released in the summer 2022, that means affinity should release it in the next 178 days….I wish affinity was more open with release dates and app progress. They make a great product but their outreach to customers could improve 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Matt Johnston said:

Half way through July so …. Halfway through summer. 

I have a project itching for my iPad - it’s my favourite design device. 

It does not say »summer» anymore. Now it's only saying »Affinity Publisher for iPad — coming soon!»

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

1. The display has rounded corners. When measured diagonally as a rectangle, the iPad Air screen is 10.86 inches. Actual viewable area is less.
  2. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See apple.com/batteries for more information.
  3. Apple Pencil sold separately.
  4. Data plan required. 5G is available in select markets and through select carriers. Speeds vary based on site conditions and carrier. For details on 5G support, contact your carrier and see apple.com/ipad/cellular.
  5. Keyboards and other accessories sold separately.
  • Apps are available on the App Store. Title availability is subject to change.
  • The Affinity Publisher app available later this year.(Apple changed it from Summer 2022 to later this year) this sounds like a delay to me. 

8 hours ago, Donloggins said:

The Affinity Publisher app available later this year

Good catch, although I think it’s in line with Affinity’s “coming soon” release date; it’s clearly not coming this summer so hopefully “later this year” means beginning of autumn when both Affinity Publisher and iPadOS 15 are ‘highly expected’ on the iPad.

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

25 minutes ago, iuli said:

it’s clearly not coming this summer

Summer isn’t over yet! It’s only the middle of July.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You’re right as usual, but I think it’s highly unlikely that Affinity Publisher (and Studiolink) will come sooner than iPadOS 16 — which means after the (traditional) summer. I’m aware that Publisher for iPad is independent of Stage Manager but even so, big changes are lurking around Affinity for iPad and I think there’s a good chance that all are coming at once, in autumn, alongside iPadOS 16 (or at a later date).

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

17 hours ago, Alfred said:

That the middle of winter here🥶

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 3:57 AM, Donloggins said:

On the Apple site for iPad they changed summer 2022 to later this year.

Yeah, annoying!

I can can for sure be honest and say that it will not come this year, and, we may be glad if it will be released before next year ends…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…