You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher for iPad Pro

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I'm all ears where you heard THAT, as our future timelines are very rarely made public.

@Donloggins seems very fond of presenting wild guesses as facts.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
1 minute ago, Alfred said:

very fond of presenting wild guesses as facts.

We can all do that. I will be coming 3rd in Rue Paul's Drag Race UK this year. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Well — We are all looking forward to the coming release of Publisher.  That will round out the publishing apps on the iPad.

Affinity: Publisher, Designer, Photo

Some others:

Concepts - great for brainstorming - has an endless canvas

Clip Studio Paint - combine photoshop, corel painter, and illustrator into one (best brushes and rulers/guides on the planet)- well worth the price - as long as it stays < $99 for the year. (Can use and sync it on all platforms) 

uMake - was cool for the sketching part, but the rest with rendering is just dumb and way way way overpriced now. 

Dan

I just don’t understand why Serif have been so silent on this! I actually think it’s a little disrespectful to a loyal fan base! For such a long time they have given us absolutely nothing! I don’t see why all the silence / secrecy. I’m sorry but it just can’t be that bigger deal to at least bring your customer base along on a journey with you! Does not need to be specifics, anything would have been great. Many companies do this and likely foster much more gratitude amongst there customers!

For the serif site

Desktop-grade layout and page design for iPad, available this summer

Free yourself from the confines of your desk, without compromising the quality of your work with Affinity Publisher for iPad. A professional page design app that allows you to create on the go, it has everything you need to produce stunning brochures, posters, portfolios, magazines and much more, no matter where you are.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, iuli said:

Is it? A few days ago we had snow here in Romania; I‘m one of the mountain people — but still! 😀

Driving from Barcelona to Alicante a couple of days ago and we had thunderstorms with hailstones. So… summer might not mean what we thought it meant. 

Technically it starts June 21st and ends Sept 22nd. So a while to go. (When Apple would say something was being released in summer we would always assume September 21st)

• 1 month later...

Seems that iPadOS16 will come packed with new wibbly wobbly timey wimey multitasking stuff

https://9to5mac.com/2022/06/02/ipados-16-features-pro-users/

and we also know that StudioLink is coming to the iPad, along with Affinity Publisher.

So a 100% wild guess, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see StudioLink featured in Apple's unveiling of its new multitasking modes; after all, Apple liked Publisher so much that it ‘leaked’ it for the first time with the iPad Air presentation :)

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

If Affinity Publisher for iPad is coming soon, that is seriously excellent news.

”wibbly wobbly timey wimey” made me smile…thank you for that. I’d like to use that in future, with your permission, of course…

I bet that the Affinity Publisher for iPad will be realised during the WWDC22. 🤓 That should be just in time for the summer. 😎 

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

Last night, I wandered over to the Serif / Affinity home page and saw - new to me - an announcement that Pubisher for iPad is “Coming Soon.”

This to me is as solid an indication as could be. It’s been hard to wait for this because Affinity tools are so freakin’ good. There’s just no other way to say it.

The wait will prove worthwhile, as sure as water is wet.

Serif haven’t made any declarations about what hardware will Be needed to run Publisher so we wait.  
Stage Manager though is the multitasking paradigm that I’ve written about for years. The idea of pushing apps into a background while they’re still visible and promoting only the ones you’re looking for. Awesome. 
External display support is awesome too. I was using it last night. It’s not as feature complete as it would be on the Mac but then iPad is just still catching up

The big deal for this is the 8 apps onscreen with high RAM requirements and the possibility of the internal SSD being used for virtual memory storage. This is a big deal as it vastly increases the RAM available. It’s the sort of thing that would allow multiple apps to stay in memory (needed for studiolink) because the memory handler in IOS is super aggressive. 

@iuli You're shouting at the clouds, man.

Serif haven't said it's only going to be on M1. They also haven't said that Studiolink is based on Stage Manager. And if they do say it's only M1, then it's because they want an excellent experience and not just "well, it runs". 

You're also not understanding the memory management model on IOS which is very different to the way it works on Windows or even MacOS. I mean, with IOS16, we just got virtual memory. That's a big deal for a lot of reasons. The memory manager on IOS is super hyper aggressive as it was designed to manage memory on memory limited devices. If you don't grok that your 4GB PC also had swap space and virtual memory so it was likely a 12GB device according to the software, then you're not really grasping how the systems work. The system heaps can also be different. 

Additionally. I don't want to run anything on a 4GB PC. I want something that sings. 

What you're essentially saying is that because MacOS used to run in 128K of RAM, you should be able to run different software in different RAM on a different processor.

I'm not defending Apple, I'm explaining the system

I'm not defending Serif, they haven't said anything that needs defending.