You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Switching between spelling options in Affinity Apps

I'm have a little problem with spelling settings. I am currently creating documents in Publisher that will be output in both UK (native) and US formats.

The problem I have is that when I open the US version of the file and try to change the spellchecker to US in the preferences in order to check the US spellings, it reverts back to UK spellings dictionaries as soon as I close the preferences panel. I've tried setting the preferences to US and restating Publisher but when it opens again I'm back to UK settings. I'm sure I'm missing something simple here! 

So is there a different or correct way to switch spelling settings from UK to US?

Yes, I do have the US dictionaries installed.

Revisiting this old topic as I am still have issues switching from UK to US spelling. Having changed the language settings from UK to US for a US document I am still getting UK spell checking. Example color is flagged as incorrect colour is not flagged. I am UK based so this is the default setting for Windows. I don't know if this is over-riding things but all of Publishers preferences are set to US spelling for this particular doc but it is still using UK English.

So does anybody know how I can get Publisher to spell check in US English?

Thanks, Anthony

I'm thinking it's using the OS Language. I tried the opposite of you, changing to UK English, and my System is US English. I still flags Colour as wrong.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I installed the US language pack on Window and switch to US English as the default system  language but it is still flagging color as wrong and colour as correct. I've altered numerous Windows setting but cant seem to find a solution to this problem.

This is something I'm going to have to do on a fairly regular basis so if anyone has a solution or work around I'd be very grateful.

1 hour ago, Ginblue said:

So does anybody know how I can get Publisher to spell check in US English?

The Spellcheck language can be set within the Text Styles that you used in the document. If you used the default text styles they are all based on the Base text style, so all you'd need to do is change the definition in that text style and you'd fix it for everything. If you used your own styles, and used a common base style, the change would also be simple.

Edit: You can also try changing your interface language via Edit > Preferences, General, if you used the default text styles.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks @walt.farrell , this has set me in the right direction. The problem I'm having now is that the style editor is imposing unwanted text styles.

I just need to get to grips with text style set up, ideally would like a style that only effects spelling. I'm assuming that if I set the spelling for a new doc to US 

in the default Text Style then that will  persist regardless of typography changes.

Thanks again

2 hours ago, Ginblue said:

I'm assuming that if I set the spelling for a new doc to US 

in the default Text Style then that will  persist regardless of typography changes.

Sorry, but I'm not sure how to interpret "default Text Style" nor "typography changes". I can think of too many possible interpretations, which might change the answer to the question.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I guess what I'm asking is if you open a new document and then set the Text Style to US spelling, then from then on does all typography (fonts, spacings, weights etc) have US spellings applied, unless you specifically apply another Text Style. 

Some of the documents I'm working on are imputed into Publisher so if for instance the titles are in Times  and the body in another font, if you set the the Text Style of the title to US that works fine for the title but if you then apply that style to the body which is a different font, it them changes the font to Time unless you set a different Text Style for the body.  So I'm seeing that for every time I select a different text style I have to set that to US spellings.

That seems to me to be the way it works. Bit convoluted I'm sorry, anyway I seem to be heading in the right heading direction now.

Thanks.

I guess what I'm asking is if you open a new document and then set the Text Style to US spelling, then from then on does all typography (fonts, spacings, weights etc) have US spellings applied, unless you specifically apply another Text Style. 

First, spelling is not relevant to fonts, spacing, etc. That may be part of what confuses me about your question :) 

But certainly, if all the text in your document uses text styles, and if all your text styles specify English (US) for the spelling language (or inherit it from some other text style) then US English will be used for all the Spell Checking. Or, if you draw your first text frame, and set its language to English (US) and then set the document defaults via Edit > Defaults > Synchronize From Selection that would also work (for text frames).

So I'm seeing that for every time I select a different text style I have to set that to US spellings.

That seems to me to be the way it works. Bit convoluted I'm sorry, anyway I seem to be heading in the right heading direction now.

It's based on text styles, so yes you need to pay attention to them. It probably works best for documents you are creating (and when you think about it from the beginning), not for documents you import.

-- Walt
PC: