You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spinning ball when saving files and applying adjustments after Monterey update

Apples21

Anyone else having problems with photo on M1 Mac after upgrading to Monterey? I keep getting the spinning ball while saving  my progress or applying adjustments. It appears to happen quite randomly. I'm on 1.10.4, and have 16gb ram on the M1 iMac. All the native apps work perfectly well. Having just moved from a 2011 iMac to this one, I've been really happy with how it's been performing, but this is a bit of a concern.

• Staff

Hi @Apples21and Welcome to the Forums,

No saving issues here on my 2019 iMac or M1 MacBook Air, both running Monterey.

Do you have the Channels Panel in view when you get the beachball appear?  If so, switch to another panel, like Transform and then try using the app again and see if you get the beachball.

On 11/2/2021 at 12:37 PM, stokerg said:

Hi @Apples21and Welcome to the Forums,

No saving issues here on my 2019 iMac or M1 MacBook Air, both running Monterey.

Do you have the Channels Panel in view when you get the beachball appear?  If so, switch to another panel, like Transform and then try using the app again and see if you get the beachball.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did have the channels panel in view. I've switched to Navigator and will see how it goes. I've recently started using channels much more often, so if there's some sort of bug, I hope it can be addressed!

1 hour ago, Apples21 said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did have the channels panel in view. I've switched to Navigator and will see how it goes. I've recently started using channels much more often, so if there's some sort of bug, I hope it can be addressed!

Unfortunately, after working on a photo this morning, I've found that even turning a layer on and off can result in the spinning ball. Affinity is running from the internal drive, although all my photos are saved externally on drives attached to a CalDigit hub. 

You are not alone...my 2018 Mac Mini is showing similar issues. AP is taking significantly longer to start up. As a test, I started AP and once it was running, quit out of it and immediately restarted AP. What use to take 2-3 seconds now takes over 15 to complete.

I see beachballs when trying to open existing documents--these are delays in viewing the file selector dialog box.

- Jim

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1