You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop tool presets now always in landscape orientation.

Hi to all,

I assume a checked some box somewhere without knowing it, but for the life of me, I can't figure this out.

In the past, the crop tool would default the orientation of the crops on the Presets menu to that of the image being worked on, e.g., the presets would be "3:2", "5:4" etc. if the image was in a landscape orientation, or "2:3", "4:5" etc. if the image was in portrait orientation.

Now, those presets are always in landscape orientation, obliging a click on the "rotate" button if I'm working on a portrait oriented image.

How do I get the crop tool back to its earlier behavior?

Thanks in advance and happy shooting.

This is all guesswork, but ...

Is this an image that you have already rotated?

There's a Reset button on the ribbon when the crop tool is selected - have you tried that?

Maybe try Edit | Defaults | Revert or Factory Reset? You might need to have the tool selected.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

18 minutes ago, Kerwin said:

In the past, the crop tool would default the orientation of the crops on the Presets menu to that of the image being worked on, e.g., the presets would be "3:2", "5:4" etc. if the image was in a landscape orientation, or "2:3", "4:5" etc. if the image was in portrait orientation.

Now, those presets are always in landscape orientation, obliging a click on the "rotate" button if I'm working on a portrait oriented image.

How do I get the crop tool back to its earlier behavior?

The behavior is now different (changed intentionally by Serif), and there is no option to get the previous behavior.

You can either:

• Click the Rotate button; or
  • Create your own Crop Preset for the other orientation.

Edit: Note: They are not "always in landscape" now. Rather, the dimensions listed in the Preset are now the ones that are used. So, if you have a landscape Crop Preset you'll get a landscape crop box by default, but if you had a portrait Crop Preset you'd get a portrait box,

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The behavior is now different (changed intentionally by Serif), and there is no option to get the previous behavior.

Thanks Walt for your rapid response.

I'll try to keep my mind open as to the interest of changing that behavior, but ... that just seems silly on the part of Serif. I think I can speak for the photo community by saying that it is very rare that I'm going to crop a landscape orientation out of a portrait image.

But nonetheless, thank you.

@ Ali, Thanks for the idea, but no, this new behavior indeed affects all images. EDIT: I did try the "Restore Master Presets" function in the Presets Manager (both globally and by category), but that had no effect. 

Indeed I do not understand the decision to prevent the applied aspect ratio from resolving to the original orientation of the image. I don't see any logic in this.

All portrait photographers will have to create their own bank of aspect ratio presets, as I will have to now. Otherwise the crop overlay will have to be rotated and dragged to fit either vertical edge of the image; a lot of unnecessary extra work for a large portrait shoot.

Affinity Photo 1.10.6.1665 / Affinity Publisher 1.10.6 - Win 10 Home 64 bit 22H2, OS Build 19045.2251 - Asus ROG G20CB - i5-6400 2.7ghz - 8gb RAM - NVIDIA GX950- BenQ BL2783

On 10/31/2021 at 1:03 PM, justinpbrown71 said:

and dragged to fit either vertical edge of the image; a lot of unnecessary extra work for a large portrait shoot.

Exactly. I probably wouldn't mind the extra click on Rotate if it wasn't for the fact that it doesn't adjust to any margin post-rotation. You're just left hanging there Affinity saying, "nope; you have to do everything."