You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opacity/Layer Fill Slider does nothing?

Alej

Posting a video, it is self explanatory, can't seem to find why the slider does nothing on any of the layers shown.

That said, if I create a new Text layer for example, the opacity slider of that one will work. Not clear why this current example seems to do anything.

(Blending mode do work but can't modulate it).

EDIT: my bad, was selecting the 'brushes' opacity for the layer's opacity. However the fill's opacity doesn't seem to work.

Edited by Alej
Mistake in one part of the test found.

I can see it doing something to the Outer Shadow effect (though it's hard to see due to the bounding box which partially overlays it). I'm not sure about the Color Overlay.

It would help to have the actual .afphoto document, I think. Also, what release of Affinity Photo are you using? 1.10.3 (yesterday's version), 1.10.4 (today's version), or something else?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ok, doesn't appear just yet on the Mac App Store. Will give it a test drive afternoon to see.

Also, my bad, this has been a pretty rush test as it isn't an important task but felt weird compared to how I do it elsewhere, the blending modes themselves for color overlay don't seem to work either. Workaround: had to put everything under a group and use the blending modes there instead, actually having the blending mode on a layer with it's Layer Effects doesn't do the blending with the final pixel value.

Alright, I think that it is a beginner's mistake regarding blending modes, I have confirmed in other softwares that the 'Fill' opacity seems to not do anything either regarding the global blending opacity of effects and also the color/patter/inner-outer-glows/etc are not affected by the layer's blending mode either.

So the 'workaround' (group and apply blending mode to that) seems to be the right way. Sorry for that.

Here's the video in case, 1.10.4 appeared today for me.

Fill Opacity is different to Layer Opacity and is shown below

This only appears when you have FX selected

With certain FXs you will not see any change if you adjust the Fill Opacity

Fill Opacity affects the fill (opacity) of the object that the FX is applied to but not the FX's opacity

fillopaciity.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Hens said:

you can apply this fill opacity without an fx ticked though

This is logged as a bug with our developers, as no FX symbol shows against the layer when this Fill Opacity slider has been used, if none of the FX are enabled.

I'll get this 'bumped' now, thanks for the report :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)