You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Discussion on the Photo for Windows 1.10.3 update (split)

Very nice job of cleaning up a couple of the problems I have run across on occasion. Thanks.

I would jump up and down with joy for many of these and other fixes, but still fighting with the program being hamstrung by the lack of layer fill (which so many confuse with opacity because the nomenclature used in the "FX" panel is incorrect.

While some users have devised workarounds that "almost" address the problem, it would be really nice to see some effort in that direction.

12 minutes ago, Smee Again said:

While some users have devised workarounds that "almost" address the problem, it would be really nice to see some effort in that direction.

And while this is interesting, and serves it own purpose (just recently came across with this feature). The proper places to request features are: for something in general or specifically for Photo.

Best regards!

4 hours ago, Mithferion said:

And while this is interesting, and serves it own purpose (just recently came across with this feature). The proper places to request features are: for something in general or specifically for Photo.

Best regards!

Previous topics ignored, so thought this might be the place to address it.

Giving the "opacity fill" name to the "FX" has created confusion and even some rude comments by myself in reply to some similarly rude comments from persons confused by the incorrect nomenclature.

Therefore, the "fill opacity" should rather say simply "OPACITY" as that is ALL IT IS.

If you place text or shape there, and you can adjust the OPACITY. To put the confusing name of "FILL" simply because it regulates the OPACITY OF THE FILL OF THE OBJECT is not the best idea. Rather misleading.

On 10/25/2021 at 11:04 PM, Smee Again said:

It's not. The Feature Requests forum is where the developers look for suggestions; they're not looking here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

59 minutes ago, Smee Again said:

Having issues with picker tool in curves.

As Patrick said above:

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It's not. The Feature Requests forum is where the developers look for suggestions; they're not looking here.

Apparently you are affiliated with Serif based on our previous contact, so I will tread lightly.

Sir, I'm not the only one with a need for this tool, which is not unlike the "optical density" slider in the "Lens Filter" adjustment layer except that it would apply to individual layers without being tied to the "Lens Filter" adjustment layer.

This slider works very much like the "Layer Fill" (not the misnamed one in FX panel, but more like actual layer fill) in Photoshop. Problem is, it doesn't appear the value it would add to the software is of no interest to the developers.

Sorry but: If it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and is waterproof . . . I just can't believe it's a turtle, no matter who says so.

31 minutes ago, Smee Again said:

Apparently you are affiliated with Serif based on our previous contact, so I will tread lightly.

I'm not part of the Serif staff. I am a user who likes to see some order in the forums and I believe in the benefit of following the official forum guidelines.

33 minutes ago, Smee Again said:

I'm not the only one with a need for this tool, which is not unlike the "optical density" slider in the "Lens Filter" adjustment layer except that it would apply to individual layers without being tied to the "Lens Filter" adjustment layer.

This slider works very much like the "Layer Fill" (not the misnamed one in FX panel, but more like actual layer fill) in Photoshop. Problem is, it doesn't appear the value it would add to the software is of no interest to the developers.

Sorry but: If it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and is waterproof . . . I just can't believe it's a turtle, no matter who says so.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying, as Patrick has also said, this (whether the topic or the forum) is not the place to discuss it. 

If it's an improvement you need to post a Feature Request to ask for an improvement. If I misunderstood your point,and you think it's a bug, my apologies. In that case you should post a bug report in the appropriate forum for the product and OS.

But this announcement topic is not the place for either of those. If you post them in the right place the appropriate Serif staff will see them and can deal with them, but this is not that place.

-- Walt
PC:

On 10/25/2021 at 10:04 PM, Smee Again said:

Topics in the Feature Requests forums are not ignored by the developers. However, that does not mean that any specific feature request will appear in the next or any other update following it. The development team is comparatively small, the number of requests for different feature is very large, & everything added must work without issues in 3 operating systems & each of the 3 Affinity apps. As they have said in the top topic of those forums, they are prioritizing adding features as best as they can, based on several different factors, only one of which is how many requests there are for any particular feature.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Topics in the Feature Requests forums are not ignored by the developers. However, that does not mean that any specific feature request will appear in the next or any other update following it. The development team is comparatively small, the number of requests for different feature is very large, & everything added must work without issues in 3 operating systems & each of the 3 Affinity apps. As they have said in the top topic of those forums, they are prioritizing adding features as best as they can, based on several different factors, only one of which is how many requests there are for any particular feature.

Well, after doing some digging, I can assure you that Serif's developers DO know how to implement this as they have hidden a stripped down version inside of one of their "adjustment layers" . . . it just needs to be freed up so that it can help with a color grading shortcoming that the software has.

"Fill" is basically the optical density of a color layer. The "Optical Density" slider is available inside of "Lens Filter" but is crippled by not allowing anything but a single solid color layer to be added. Doesn't work perfectly (limited compatibility with the 8 special blend modes), but shows that they do understand the principle and (hopefully) will soon address this shortcoming of the software.