You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IDML files not opening

Hi,
I hope this isn't a frequently asked question. I couldn't find it in any case.

I am looking to switch to Affinity Publisher from InDesign. I currently have about 75-85 INDD files that I will need to be able to work on in Publisher. So I set out to convert them to IDML, since Publisher is supposed to be able to open those.

However, Publisher doesn't actually open the couple of IDML files I created. It shows that it is loading something, but after 25 minutes nothing has happened. I tried opening the same files in InDesign, which does open them (does take about 5 min though). I am currently using a MacBook Pro mid 2014. I am awaiting the arrival of a MacBook Pro M1pro next month. On the new MacBook I would like to fully switch to the Affinity suite.

Any idea what goes wrong with the IDML files? How do I get them to open in Publisher?

Welcome to the Affinity forums @EmmiV!

Turning off hardware acceleration in Preferences > Performance could be worth a try? Another reason could be, that your IDML files are really complex ... taking ID 5 minutes to open them seems to be an indicator.

Is it possible for you to upload one of those problem IDML files to the forum?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hi! Thanks for your reply @Joachim_L. Turning off hardware acceleration hasn't made a difference, unfortunately. 

File complexity might be the issue though. I tried a much simpler file and it did open. Unfortunately over half of my files are of the more complex type and I will still need to be able to work on those. I have attached one example. And further advice is greatly appreciated!

Denken in Getallen groep 3A.idml

1 minute ago, RM f/g said:

It took my APub 5 seconds to open this file.

It took me a few seconds longer on my average Windows machine, so there is hope, that the files will open faster on your new machine Emmi.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Thank you all for giving it a try! Here's hoping that my new macbook will do better. I didn't think the current one is particularly bad though. Normal INDD files open pretty fast (5 seconds). Is this a general issue with IMDL files, that they take longer to open?

Thank you, @RM f/g for sharing the converted file! This one opens in zero seconds! Very happy to get started! I need to relink the images though, and that seems to give a lot of error messages. For instance, Publisher says it doesn't support eps files, is that true? Will play around a bit and see how it goes.

12 hours ago, EmmiV said:

Hi! Thanks for your reply @Joachim_L. Turning off hardware acceleration hasn't made a difference, unfortunately. 

File complexity might be the issue though. I tried a much simpler file and it did open. Unfortunately over half of my files are of the more complex type and I will still need to be able to work on those. I have attached one example. And further advice is greatly appreciated!

Denken in Getallen groep 3A.idml 8.94 MB · 2 downloads

Good news!  I opened your file (FILE>OPEN, not FILE>PLACE) in about 2 seconds using my 2020 Macbook Pro 13" with the M1 chip.  You should not have any problem at all with your new machine, when it arrives.  Just one very important thing.  You will find that Affinity Publisher will note any missing fonts, or other missing resources (see the attached notice below).  So do be sure that the fonts you have with InDesign are also installed on your new machine.  (Sample pages from your .idml document are attached, for you to see how they look in Publisher.)  Hope this will reassure you and that you will enjoy the Affinity Suite as much as I do!!

1154434725_ScreenShot2021-10-29at3_36_43PM.png.1404b809619ffa800f6129d2f21f305c.png

958778494_ScreenShot2021-10-29at3_34_40PM.thumb.png.741971b83e300de1705b41bb55fbe828.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

You will find that Affinity Publisher will note any missing fonts, or other missing resources (see the attached notice below).

The ‘Old Press’ and ‘Walkway’ fonts are all available on DaFont.

https://www.dafont.com/old-press.font

https://www.dafont.com/walkway.font

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got my new 2021 MacBook Pro and it opens de idml file now, but doesn't show any images. Just outlines that aren't clickable. In addition Publisher keeps lagging and stops responding. I have had to do a lot of force quits. Other (similar) idml files have the same issue. They take about a minute to open, too. So I guess that's not exactly an improvement...

Any more suggestions or do I just need to give up and find a way to keep using Adobe?

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I am planning on moving over from InDesign to Affinity. I got a trial for 10 days, began saving my InDesign files as idml but when I try to open them in Affinity it tells me it is not a supported format, saving them as packages gives me a pdf which again, is not helpful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Staff

Hi @Sharpeirox,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please provide a copy of the .IDML file and a screenshot of the error message you are seeing here for me?

Many thanks in advance

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi Dan C

Sorry it has taken so long to respond. I purchased the latest version and the .IDML files seem to open fine now, perhaps it may have been a version conflict? Either way, they seem to be working fine now. I cannot believe how much fun the Affinity programs are. I am very new as I have used the InDesign suite since about 2005. Just wish I had heard about Affinity years ago. I just love it. Everything is just so simple and intuitive.

• Staff

No problem at all, I'm very glad to hear this and we sincerely appreciate your kind feedback.
We always love hearing our users are enjoying using the apps as much as we enjoy making them :)

Should you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to start a new thread!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!