You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 10/29/2021 at 12:26 AM, bt1138 said:

Does anyone print anything anymore?

Sure. I print photos at home all the time at dimensions up to 13x19 inches (borderless).

I frame them for gifts, make collages for gifts, and put prints in albums to preserve for my descendants with dates and notes on the back, just like my mother did 90 years ago. I still have the prints she saved. Some I've scanned and printed to give them new life. Who will be finding image files on my computer after I'm gone? But they'll certainly find the photo albums on my bookshelves and the prints I made for family and friends, and the prints tucked away in the homes of other relatives.

I think lots of people must be printing something given the incredible variety of picture frames available at Michaels, Walmart, and online frame vendors. Or perhaps they order prints from online printing companies (not something I'd do myself). 

But I certainly don't print from Affinity Photo. I've been using QImage Ultimate for upwards of 20 years. My first print program came with an Epson printer. It left cropping and image borders to be done at print time, which I think is the right way to do printing. Then I discovered QImage with its incredible power and flexibility. I often print an image at different sizes and different crops depending on my purpose at the time. I edit once with a program like APhoto, then print many different ways over a period of time with QImage. 

The developer of QImage continues to extend the power and usefulness of the program, to the delight of what appears to be an enormous number of users. QImage One for the Mac was a spinoff from QImage, indicating lots of people are printing lots of photos.

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2021 at 1:22 AM, DWright said:

Are you having any problems printing from the Affinity apps.

No, not at all.

I think I was commenting on the overall nature of photo imaging. I used to develop and print my own stuff starting in the 1970's and I've been an avid photographer ever since, so I've got a long time horizon and I've owned many cameras 35, 6x4.5, 6x7 and then the digicams, and I have used many pieces of software over the years.

Some years ago, when digital imaging was starting to mature, there were many discussions about printing and papers and inks and now it just feels like most people just post them or email text them, while printing actual prints is becoming a niche activity. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I was just wondering out loud about it.

I suppose that actually wanting to print something in a quality way might mark you as a "fine art" sort of photographer in some sense, much as having your own dark room and doing your own printing did back in the day. Which is not a bad thing at all.

I print some art pieces prepared (mostly) in Affinity Photo with Epson 3880 (A2 size, Canson Edition Etching Rag 310 g/m²) with great results and outsource printing 70X100 cm size to bigger Epson SureColor SC-P9500 (with Hahnemuhle German Etching, 310gsm) with not so sure if great results (I think better definition in detail should be achievable..).

I have to admit I do final adjustments in Photoshop. 

I use various print services in Germany and the Netherlands for both digital photos and digital designs/art. My walls are decorated with a wide variety of framed prints and I'm contemplating to print more photo books from my archive (both digital and slides). Many of my favorite YT channels strongly suggest to get your work printed: Ted Forbes, Dan Milnor, Marc Silber, Sean Tucker, Jamie Windsor, Stephan Wiesner, Nigel, Danson, ...

BTW, has anyone on this forum used Affinity Publisher to create PDF books for printing with Blurb? They provide templates for InDesign and accept PDF input as long as it conforms to their standard layouts/page sizes.

• 1 month later...

I have printed beautiful cards using Affinity Publisher. Much easier than printing them through Qimage. Also, I can save the design template for horizontal & vertical cards in different sizes.

The only tedious part is having to go through the color settings (telling the program to save the paper color profiles and print settings). I have to redo that each time I restart Publisher, though if I print different cards in one session, it is only necessary to do that once.

I have also just completed my first Blurb book in Affinity Publisher with terrific results.