You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ร—

There is no work area border.

ย 

If the color of the photo program matches the background color of the document, then the user does not see the border. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that there was no such problem in earlier versions. I understand that you can change the background color, but this is not what you expect from the program.

2016990755_.jpg.5b89b51e9773289e5b6aae135b322f66.jpg

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

I can't read the text in the screenshots, however what size canvas did you choose and have you tried zooming out?

Ali ๐Ÿ™‚

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

ย 

25 minutes ago, Ali said:

I can't read the text in the screenshots, however what size canvas did you choose and have you tried zooming out?

The scale has nothing to do with it. Even if one edge of the image is the same color as the background color, problems begin.

Windows 11 64-bit,

OK - that wasn't clear to me from your opening post.

Ali ๐Ÿ™‚

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

ย 

3 hours ago, Max N said:

but it seems to me that there was no such problem in earlier versions.

As the retail 1.10.3 version is newer than the now out-of-date beta 1.10.3 version (build .1191 for retail, vs .1188 for beta), have you tried the retail to see if it's fixed there, already?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
ย ย  ย Desktop: ย Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090ย 

ย  ย  Laptop:ย  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad: ย iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboardย 
Mac:ย  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Works that way on my Mac, the bad way. I can use a fill layer withย the same 'background' colour and it seems that there is no document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013)ย Mac OS 12.7.4ย 
Affinity Designerย 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisherย 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

In my view this is a feature, not a bug.

It might be unexpected at first sight, but

1. there are advantages of this behavior:ย You can check howย your image blends into this background color, at any zoom level.
  2. If undesired, there are multiple options to either change the background color, or add an rectangle with stroke (no fill) as top layer to simulate any kind of border you like.

Affinity is full of unexpected features or UIs, this one doesnโ€™t cause any relevant harm, and has very easy measures to circumvent.

Iโ€™m not against adding an option to always render a frame as you suggested, as long as itโ€™s off by default, and users have the choice to switch it on/off (globally and possiblyย per document).

ย 

ย 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

ย 

9 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

In my view this is a feature, not a bug.

It might be unexpected at first sight, but

1. there are advantages of this behavior:ย You can check howย your image blends into this background color, at any zoom level.
  2. If undesired, there are multiple options to either change the background color, or add an rectangle with stroke (no fill) as top layer to simulate any kind of border you like.

Affinity is full of unexpected features or UIs, this one doesnโ€™t cause any relevant harm, and has very easy measures to circumvent.

Iโ€™m not against adding an option to always render a frame as you suggested, as long as itโ€™s off by default, and users have the choice to switch it on/off (globally and possiblyย per document).

ย 

ย 

The ability to turn off document borders is a useful feature. The inability to see the boundaries of the document is already a problem. I understand that everything can be bypassed with crutches and tape, but I want to see the product workable and convenient out of the box. Therefore, I always try to find those things in which AP is inferior to its brethren.

I want AP to be more convenient and better than Photoshop and other graphic editors. This is my purpose of staying on the forum.

Windows 11 64-bit,

• Staff

Sorry if I've missed the point here but surely the answer is to reduce the Background Grey Level in Preferences > Performance?

Are you asking for a drop shadow around the canvas? I believe this has been mentioned before and for whatever reason (it escapes me) we chose not to do this.ย 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I believe this has been mentioned before and for whatever reason (it escapes me) we chose not to do this.

Maybe it would be a compromise if the user wants to use a margin of 0 to be shown. Right now Include Margins with 0 values result in margins not being active/checked.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Hi @Max N,
This has been working like this in Affinity Photo all those years - there wasn't complains (i think) because Affinity Photo mostly works with a single canvas and is used mostly forย editing images - there aren't much cases where the canvas is fully white with just a few elements in the middle like could happen for example on artboards/page based apps like Designer where you do have a small black line around the canvas or artboards to easily identify them, so usually changing the background grey level for these cases is enough.

[EDIT] Something's wrong/buggyย in Designer with the clip to canvas function enabled and the canvas/artboardย boundaryย line. Logging this to be looked at.

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @Max N,
This has been working like this in Affinity Photo all those years - there wasn't complains (i think) because Affinity Photo mostly works with a single canvas and is used mostly forย editing images - there aren't much cases where the canvas is fully white with just a few elements in the middle like could happen for example on artboards/page based apps like Designer where you do have a small black line around the canvas or artboards to easily identify them, so usually changing the background grey level for these cases is enough.

[EDIT] Something's wrong/buggyย in Designer with the clip to canvas function enabled and the canvas/artboardย boundaryย line. Logging this to be looked at.

In my experience, people prefer to work around a problem rather than solve it. It works in all spheres of life. It is inconvenient, but not so much that I would spend energy, write a post, take screenshots, record a video, and, if necessary, also send error reports or files causing problems. As a result, several desperate madmen write, pay attention, try to help somehow, the rest are just waiting or looking for workarounds (in Russia there is such a thing as a "crutch" in programming - it's like leaning a table without a leg against the wall, so that did not fall, instead of fixing the leg). In most graphics programs, the boundaries of the document are visible. This is fine. Inconveniences do not happen very often. This is not a critical error. But little things make a program better or worse overall. It's like an iPhone and an Android phone. On the one hand, both cope with their functions, both work, but one of them is an iPhone and the other is Android :) And in this case, these are not names, but names that are used by the user with a certain level of quality. I have been waiting for over a year for a brush with a putty fill to stop ignoring the held Shift. I cannot draw straight lines. And this is a real problem in the basic functionality. And it affects my workflow very much. I think I'm not the only one faced with this, but I'm the only one writing about this. This I mean that if they are silent, it does not mean that they are satisfied. I am ready to spend my time to create reports and argue my position. I hope to be of service to the project.

Windows 11 64-bit,

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

That's probably why we didn't implement it - I don't like it either. The solution is to turn the grey level down... even a bit

image.png

Well this is an obvious workaround. But you can implement it so that the user would simply work without reconfiguring the program for a specific document.

Windows 11 64-bit,

• 4 weeks later...

Who or what is stopping you from setting the margins to 0.1 or smaller? You already have your page border!

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X |ย INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GBย  |ย 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)ย  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803)ย 

Affinity Suiteย V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with:ย https://www.deepl.com/translatorย ย 
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

6 hours ago, Komatรถs said:

Who or what is stopping you from setting the margins to 0.1 or smaller? You already have your page border!

I do not quite understand what you are talking about. Create a Boundary Layer?

The user does not have to figure out how to solve the problem. There should be no problem. And here it is not necessary to invent anything, everything is already invented.

photoshop ๐Ÿ‘

1238329341_2021-11-25211810.thumb.png.ccbaac4a3e8d484dd085590710eca7f2.png

gimp ๐Ÿ‘

971709999_2021-11-25212612.thumb.png.4b18fd4ef69e7b43915ad8940032fe78.png

Affinity Photo โ˜น๏ธ

The squid game has begun.
270458917_2021-11-25212958.thumb.png.7826859a75460ffdf6cbb38bb218c4af.png
This can be compared to a newly built palace, in which they forgot to make a door when designing.
This is so obvious that it shouldn't be so. I understand that if there is no door, then you can enter through the window. But I still ask for a door that would be like everyone else's. I don't want to enter through the window, or like Santa Claus through the chimney.

Windows 11 64-bit,

7 hours ago, Max N said:

Affinity Photo โ˜น๏ธ

Some of us prefer it this wayย :$

Make it another option!

Best regards!

• Staff

Hi all,

I just want to clarify that this was raised a few years ago and was closed as by design by the developers because they did not want to add a border around the canvas. You can use the UI settings in Preferences to define the canvasโ€”there's no need to go pure white for the background on which the white canvas sits. There is even a notch on the slider which insinuates where you will start to lose the contrast between the canvas and background levels.

This is not a bug but a user preference and improvement. I do not think this will change. I am sorry to dissapoint.ย 

40 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hi all,

I just want to clarify that this was raised a few years ago and was closed as by design by the developers because they did not want to add a border around the canvas. You can use the UI settings in Preferences to define the canvasโ€”there's no need to go pure white for the background on which the white canvas sits. There is even a notch on the slider which insinuates where you will start to lose the contrast between the canvas and background levels.

This is not a bug but a user preference and improvement. I do not think this will change. I am sorry to dissapoint.ย 

In the gimp, this setting is enabled optionally. I am really surprised by the issues of usability sometimes. As a rule, for the better. But some decisions are painful. At the same time, the absence of a function does not carry any useful meaning. For me, the very fact that during the workflow the user should be distracted from it and reconfigure the program ... well, this is a fail. If there were such downtime in the development of those processes at the enterprise, then the engineer developing those processes ... was asked why he wastes the time / money of the enterprise on useless actions. I have such a profession by education. The user performs 10,000 operations per day, each of them for 10 seconds, and if you add +1 operation (5 seconds) to each of the 10 operations, then the cost will increase greatly. When developing a technical process, the task is to remove unnecessary operations, reduce the number of actions. This results in lower costs and time savings. Professional software should solve the same problems. Most of my comments on the forum are aimed at improving usability. These are not formally errors. But such things distract the user from the workflow. This is not professional, although not critical. I share my time in the hope that the program will work out of the box as the user expects, without additional settings. This applies not only to this topic.

Windows 11 64-bit,

5 hours ago, Max N said:

In the gimp, this setting is enabled optionally.

I'm in for the option to enable disable such a line, but if I may ask, just how long do you need to have a complete white area in Affinity Photo so that this represents something that bad?

Best regards!

Well, there are definitely should be options made available for borders customization. Line, shadow or none.

In some cases it is better to have them and in some cases you may find them distracting in your process. All depends on what you do and what you prefer.

Personally, I hate this border is visible in Publisher around artboards and there's no way to turn it off.

90% of my work is being done in Publisher across all three personas because it is convenient for me.

And I want surrounding app interface and canvas to be as much clean as possible without any extra lines.

Just hope we'll see these options somewhere in future so anyone here would be able to set their borders as they want.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:06 PM, Mithferion said:

I'm in for the option to enable disable such a line, but if I may ask, just how long do you need to have a complete white area in Affinity Photo so that this represents something that bad?

Best regards!

Unfortunately, when translating via google translator, I could not understand the meaning of the phrase.

Windows 11 64-bit,

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.