You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lots of glitch while zoom in/out in a picture (Mac OS 11.6 - Affinity Photo 1.10.3) - SOLVED with 1.10.4

DEF13

Hi,

Since I've done the last upgrade of Affinity Photo, I've constate lots of glitch when I zoom in/out in a picture. Actually, the only solution is to downgrade to restore a perfecte working condition …

There is also issues with the layer tab. Layers appears and disappears randomly (it looks a refresh data issue).

Thanks for your quick answer 🙂

I'm experiencing the same problem with visible square tiles flickering during zooming in and out in all three Affinity products (both 1.10.1 and 1.10.3). I'm wondering if it's a normal behavior of Affinity screen rendering engine or we're currently seeing something that we shouldn't see and screen content should refresh much quicker and smoother without those tiles showing all around?

There's no issue for me with MacOS 11.6 on my MBP + Affinity Photo 1.10.1 (except the terribly long first Affinity's softwares startup since I'm on Big Sur)

• Staff

1.10.4 will be released today that addresses the problem of Screen and UI corruption (in 1.10.3) on some desktops.

On the Affinity Store 1.10.4 builds should be available now and on the Mac App Store and Microsoft Store it will roll out worldwide over the next 24-48 hours, as normal.

Please see this announcement post for the link for your particular application

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor Wow. That is an impressive bugfix speed! Thank you! 

I have upgraded to 1.10.4. I'm sorry to confirm that the glitch effect while zoom in/out still shows up. It is happening randomly on white background, type faces, embedded PNGs or rectangle color boxes. 

Update: It is occurring with Live Filter Layers. I have applied a Unsharp Mask filter to an image. When I disable the Live Filter, everything looks good. Are you able to reproduce this?

Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 16.10.41.png

Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 16.11.59.png

• Staff
30 minutes ago, howdytom said:

@Patrick Connor Wow. That is an impressive bugfix speed! Thank you! 

I have upgraded to 1.10.4. I'm sorry to confirm that the glitch effect while zoom in/out still shows up. It is happening randomly on white background, type faces, embedded PNGs or rectangle color boxes. 

Update: It is occurring with Live Filter Layers. I have applied a Unsharp Mask filter to an image. When I disable the Live Filter, everything looks good. Are you able to reproduce this

Hey howdytom,

Can you do a screen recording at all? This looks slightly different to me. Also, can we have the file or a test file? 

Also, can you provide your system specs please?

59 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey howdytom,

Can you do a screen recording at all? This looks slightly different to me. Also, can we have the file or a test file? 

Also, can you provide your system specs please?

@Chris B The glitch is totally random. It's happening with Live Filters enabled. When I add a new curve layer and zoom in and out 10 times, everything looks good. However next time the glitch shows up again. :42_confused:

specs.png.470c957b886340144289f66dfa41962a.png

testfile.afphoto.zip

@MEB, everything works fine now with this last update (1.10.4). THX for the incredible reactivity of Affinity's team, you've done a great job !

• Staff
On 10/29/2021 at 4:47 PM, howdytom said:

@Chris B The glitch is totally random. It's happening with Live Filters enabled. When I add a new curve layer and zoom in and out 10 times, everything looks good. However next time the glitch shows up again. :42_confused:

We've been trying all morning on a plethora of devices however we haven't been able to reproduce this yet. We're struggling to find similar hardware. I have made the developers aware and the rest of the team will be looking out for this. If I hear anything or need anything, I will let you know—thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2021 at 12:28 PM, Chris B said:

We've been trying all morning on a plethora of devices however we haven't been able to reproduce this yet. We're struggling to find similar hardware. I have made the developers aware and the rest of the team will be looking out for this. If I hear anything or need anything, I will let you know—thanks.

Today, The glitch occurred when I applied a gaussian blur to pixel layer. It was impossible to guess the modification. Disabling metal acceleration will prevent those glitches, though. Anything else I can do? Is it a graphic card issue?

Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 21.34.52.png

Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 21.34.47.png

• Staff

Sorry to see this!

Can you please try our latest beta version (1.10.5) and let me know if this also displays the same corruption? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

So tired to see these "checkmates" artefacts everywhere. Every layer movement, every change causes the canvas to glitch in this absolutely inappropriate way.

These visible tiles are part of Affinity canvas rendering pipeline. They can't get rid of that because it's computationally faster to redraw canvas in this way.

I wrote about it multiple times here on forums. I don't want to see it at all. Tiles should be synced, composited together before drawing them on a canvas.

Put them together, composite them, before calling final frame draw event. I've never seen such artefacts in Photoshop. Screen redrawing is much better and smoother.

For me it all looks, like: "we don't care how you want your meal, sir. we'll be just throwing ingredients at your table as fast as we can now. so you can start eating something faster."

1 minute ago, howdytom said:

Thanks. What hardware are you using? Glad I am not alone.

We're definitely not alone. Some people just accept the current state of things. Some of them don't notice anything at all. Some are trying to highlight certain issues, as we do.

I'm running a hackintosh build: Intel Core i9-9900K, Radeon RX 580 8GB, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD Samsung 970 Pro.

macOS Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey.

• Staff
1 hour ago, howdytom said:

I am sorry to confirm the same issue with Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.10.5.270). Metal acceleration is enabled. Glitches show up with and without "Preserve alpha" settings enabled.

Many thanks for letting me know and I'm certainly sorry to hear this - I'll be sure to update the development log with your macOS specs, so that they can continue to investigate this further!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 4 months later...