You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All

I am a affinity virgin and would like some help to point me in the right direction of 1) if it is possible & 2) the correct lingo i need search the forums successfully.

In principle i want to try and fix the damaged photo attached.  So any help on the above to get me started i would really appreciate it :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lilpinkiy/22549771193/

Thanks in advance

A tough pic to restore.  

I found that the best resource for learning about Restoration and Retouching was Katrin Eismann's book the of the same name. See chapter 6 in particular.  Although its a Photoshop book, Affinity has most of the tools necessary. 

A tough pic to restore.  

I found that the best resource for learning about Restoration and Retouching was Katrin Eismann's book the of the same name. See chapter 6 in particular.  Although its a Photoshop book, Affinity has most of the tools necessary. 

thank you MikeT i will have a google later..  i thought it was a bit of a tough one to restore.  Off to some wine and reading then!  :)

• 5 weeks later...

This is my first Post in the Forum and english is not my native Language, so don't be to hard if i fail with the Tool Names ;)

I made a Screenshot and spent some time to give it a try - and i hope it is ok for you?! The outside Area was mostly cleaned with the Inpainting Brush. I am trying to restore the People with the Clone Stamp Tool and a little bit of the Smudge Tool. There may be more professional ways to fix this, but i think it will do it pretty well. At first i tried to mask out the Light Reflexes(?) that is on top of the picture and correct it with Brightness and Contrast, but i failed hard ;)

I'm also a completely Newbie in Affinity Photo and Retouching so i took me about 3 hours to get only there, but i won't give up. It's a good Exercise.

Greetings from Germany and Marry Christmas to everyone,

Ben.

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=68af08-1450910167.jpg

What do you see ??? I see nothing  ....  No Image!

I took a screenshot..  -ben_sal, hope you don't mind. I can delete it if you want.

post-14034-0-42521300-1451404351_thumb.png

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Madame:

First: it's okay - maybe the page where i uploaded the image have problems with some browsers. I'm using Safari and have no issues. 

Second: It took me about 5 hours. A lot of Clone Stamp and some Smuge Tool on the clothes for better blending. Advanced users may do this is 1 or 2 hours.

Hope we could get some tipps for better result, specially on the faces!

For me it was just a fun-project and so i finished working on it. Maybe t@z will give me a short feedback or a result of his/her edited image.

Ben. 

Ben, I think that every picture needs it's own approach.

I'm thinking that those "problems" is a possibility to get more experience.

(Oh.. I see that it's t@z's picture.. sorry)

RespÕk, i don't know why you don't see the picture.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Okay. I will start with my disclaimer. I am no expert, and have no real experience at photo repair. But I use the forum here to practice and learn too. So as I looked at your problem, one thing that I thought might hold promise is using the select tool. 

I figured trying to recover as much detail as possible first would be a good course. So the white staining appears to be the biggest problem. So I used the selection tool, selected small areas of the white stained areas. Refined the selection with a slight smoothing and feathering. I then used a brightness and contrast adjustment layer on that selection and brought down the brightness to show some detail. I'm thinking the result is pretty good, considering, and makes those destructive adjustments easier to define. I didn't spend any time on this, and only did a couple of white stained areas in the rough area. But I think I was able to bring out some good detail on the Dad's nose, and eye glasses. Plus chin and mouth. Which will hopefully make the next stage of refining the work on the photo easier.

Like I said, I'm no expert and have no experience at this. But I thought the method seemed promising here, and didn't seem to hear anyone else mention it. 

Good luck. 

Good to know ben sal. I wrestled with a variety of blend modes, layers, adjustment filters, which gave various levels of results. As far as the selections, I stayed with between .6 to .9 pxl on the smooth and feather settings, always setting both. I had high hopes of using frequency separation, but those white stains always did me in. I'm thinking maybe using selections to reduce the white stains, and then maybe frequency separation to even things out. The shadow areas I liked using a copy, darkening it, and blending with multiply to clean up the outer areas. But I haven't put it all together, and learning as I go. Thanks for the feedback. I learned a lot today.