You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to load document. Appears to be corrupted.

This is an emergency. My file that I've been working on for weeks has suddenly been corrupted and I need to send it off in a few days.

I hit "save", and midway through it showed me the attached message.

Here is my computer info.

Affinity Version: 1.10.3
Saved to: Local Disc

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 1.20.00 PM.png

Just one possibility. This has happened to me a number of times. I finally realized, at least in my case that the program will not fihish and you ill get that "failed to load" message if you have your pdf reader still open with the same program open that you are trying to download. Once I closed the PDF reader, in my case "Nitro Pro" it loaded successfully.

3 minutes ago, TheDoc said:

Just one possibility. This has happened to me a number of times. I finally realized, at least in my case that the program will not fihish and you ill get that "failed to load" message if you have your pdf reader still open with the same program open that you are trying to download. Once I closed the PDF reader, in my case "Nitro Pro" it loaded successfully.

Thank you, but that is not my issue. I've restarted my computer and had only AP open at the time.

Update: I've been working on an old backup file, and saving it at intervals.

The file has been corrupted several more times and it seems to occur when linking embedded files.

I've found a peculiar work-around, however; the "corrupted" file will open in Affinity Designer, which I can save and re-open in Publisher without issue.

• Staff

Hi @Raggedmane,

Apologies for the delayed response here and I'm glad to hear that you've found a workaround for this issue - however I'd like to request more information to better understand the cause of this.

Can you please confirm for me:

• What version of macOS is installed?
  • What are your mac specs?
  • Is this corruption only happening for one file?
  • Are you able to reproduce this exactly? (ie each time you place a specific file, the document becomes corrupted) or does it appear to be randomised?

Many thanks in advance for any information you can provide :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
macOS Big Sur 11.6 (20G165)
Processor 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2 GB

------------

The corruption has occurred on multiple files (the same project, modified and saved to new versions).

As far as I can tell, the corruption occurs either when I am saving the file, or when linking resources through the Resources Manager.

The file is somewhat large (228mb), and my computer lags noticeable while working on it.

A parallel error, "Access to file was lost", has occurred multiple times as well, however I'm not sure if they are related.

Thank you, and let me know if you need any more information.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 12.53.08 PM.png

Edited by Raggedmane
added image

23 hours ago, Raggedmane said:

The file has been corrupted several more times and it seems to occur when linking embedded files.

You are taking an Embedded file and turning it into a Linked document.

What sort of Embedded Document was it? Where are you saving the newly made Linked Document?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Many thanks for the update, it appears as though I did not receive an email notification from your initial response above so I believe this was simply missed, my sincerest apologies!

17 hours ago, Raggedmane said:

I suspect the cause has something to do with linked images that are located on a Network server.

If the connection to the server "fluctuates" (if that's the word), I imagine Affinity cannot find the file, then the project gets corrupted.

I can confirm that our developers have previously confirmed that this can be the cause of corrupted documents - and we recommend storing all files locally whilst in-use / during editing. Hopefully you should find you any corruption chances are heavily reduced by doing such.

Please do let me know how you get on here, as we can continue to investigate further if this does not seemingly help :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 1 month later...

A small update.

I have moved all linked files to the Local Disc, but occasionally the file gets corrupted anyway. So that rules out 'server fluctuation.'

Currently I have to save a new version of the file every few edits to protect against this.

Another odd happening: copying layers from the main project into a new file sometimes results in both files either "Failing to read file location" or getting corrupted.

Can I send my project file to a developer to see if they can decipher why this might be happening?

I should warn that the file contains some ~1,700 linked images.

At this point I'm just logging for posterity.

Another strange related behavior: I replaced an image inside a Picture Frame, then saved the file. The saving process was interrupted by the "access to file was lost" message. The document closed.

Then I tried to reopen it and I got the message: "This file is open in another application."

What the hell?

So @Dan C, I can 100% confirm that the corruption error occurs when saving immediately after replacing an image within a frame via the "Replace Image" button on the context toolbar. I've replicated this several times, all to either one of two outcomes. Either the file is immediately corrupted, or the "Access to the file location was lost" error appears, after which the file cannot be opened due to corruption.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here @Raggedmane as I have been out of the office until today.

Many, many thanks for the further information provided here, as this has enabled me to log this bug with our developers now, so that it can be looked into further and hopefully improved in the future - as we certainly want to avoid document corruption where possible!

I hope this helps :)

• 5 months later...