You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Large painting files with image textures freeze Affinity and then crash it

These two files are constantly freezing and crashing Affinity, which happen more often when zooming in and out on the canvas. I recently built a new PC with the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X with 32 GBs of Ripjaws 4000 MHz RAM, so I don't think it is the hardware. Especially since this happened on my old PC as well with far less performance.

I noticed that Image layers make Affinity a lot more likely to crash at the current canvas resolutions I am running, so I suggest taking a look there first since both files contain Image textures taken from the Stock panel.

• Staff

Hi @Frozen Death Knight,

Thanks for your report!

We're aware of multiple issues within 1.10.3 that cause the app to crash or freeze when rendering - we're working at releasing an update ASAP (hopefully today) to address these issues so please keep an eye out for this version and let me know if it improves the behaviour you're experiencing currently.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 10/29/2021 at 12:53 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @Frozen Death Knight,

Thanks for your report!

We're aware of multiple issues within 1.10.3 that cause the app to crash or freeze when rendering - we're working at releasing an update ASAP (hopefully today) to address these issues so please keep an eye out for this version and let me know if it improves the behaviour you're experiencing currently.

Many thanks in advance :)

Thanks for the response! Sadly the update didn't fix the issue. The same files crash due to the same problems as before. Checked performance in Task Manager and noticed a big spike in power usage which then completely stops once Affinity can't process what's going on in the file.

I can send the file/files over to you for additional testing, since there seems to be very specific things happening in certain layers that make this happen. When I turn off the background group layer the file is able to chug along just fine, which is how I was able to paint this in the first place.

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know and I'm sorry to hear the latest update hasn't improved things for you!

Firstly, can you please ensure your GPU drivers are fully up to date, as outdated drivers can cause performance/freezing issues in Affinity - 

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx

Secondly, please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here.

Third, please try disabling Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of this dialog, then restart the app and let me know if this helps reduce the crashing behaviour?

Finally, I'd like to request the latest crash reports generated by the app. Can you please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens, please select the 3 most recently created .DMP files, then attach these to your reply here.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for letting me know and I'm sorry to hear the latest update hasn't improved things for you!

Firstly, can you please ensure your GPU drivers are fully up to date, as outdated drivers can cause performance/freezing issues in Affinity - 

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx

Secondly, please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here.

Third, please try disabling Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of this dialog, then restart the app and let me know if this helps reduce the crashing behaviour?

Finally, I'd like to request the latest crash reports generated by the app. Can you please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens, please select the 3 most recently created .DMP files, then attach these to your reply here.

Many thanks in advance!

496.49 is the current and latest version I'm using (using a 980 card), but it didn't solve my problem. I tried disabling GPU acceleration and I am noticing far less problems now, however. Might have to do more testing to know for sure if it's completely fixed, but it seems to have solved the problem for now. At least I know that even on my school computer I am noticing problems with GPU acceleration despite running a 2080 card on it, so it is not too unreasonable to think that my 980 should be able to handle the files once all the bugs are solved with GPU acceleration.

Here are a bunch of crash report files. Of some reason I wasn't able to create a new one. The program freezes, but it doesn't crash, so that might be why it doesn't produce a report.

44a9ddf7-c078-40df-8ef3-a7f79a2c0ec0.dmp 5eda2221-c545-49ba-b130-6e2a6643e635.dmp 2d4ee2f6-6dfb-43fa-8a48-6882f6de136a.dmp 8ccd455f-d063-4c68-ba1d-494891dccb57.dmp

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know and for the reports provided - most of these show the app crashing when accessing DirectX, or in other words when using the GPU to render the canvas, so I should expect that leaving Hardware Acceleration disabled for the time being should continue to be more stable for you :)

On 11/1/2021 at 11:28 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

I am noticing problems with GPU acceleration despite running a 2080 card on it, so it is not too unreasonable to think that my 980 should be able to handle the files once all the bugs are solved with GPU acceleration.

H.A. is certainly supported with both cards, but we are aware of some 'teething issues' with acceleration and the latest version of Affinity - this is all logged with our developers so I'm updating this report now with the information provided and we hope to have these ironed out in the future!

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 11/3/2021 at 4:55 PM, Dan C said:

Thanks for letting me know and for the reports provided - most of these show the app crashing when accessing DirectX, or in other words when using the GPU to render the canvas, so I should expect that leaving Hardware Acceleration disabled for the time being should continue to be more stable for you :)

H.A. is certainly supported with both cards, but we are aware of some 'teething issues' with acceleration and the latest version of Affinity - this is all logged with our developers so I'm updating this report now with the information provided and we hope to have these ironed out in the future!

Okay, good to know!

Anyway, I just wanted to report that yesterday I installed a new graphics card. Been testing the files with my new 3060 card and I am noticing far less crashes than before. Was even able to paint at a pretty brisk pace despite the heavy workload, which is pretty reassuring!

However, that's not to say that it is all sunshine and rainbows. I am still noticing bugs with hardware acceleration, one of which is something I reported on very early on during the 1.9 Beta phase. Basically, what happens is that brushing sometimes deletes layer data permanently in a very destructive way in the form of rectangles. I had this happen to me a couple of times during a few hours of my evening painting sessions, which led to me having to repaint those areas. Undoing them doesn't work because it affects every history state and the only way of recovering that data is to close down and open the file again without saving anything. You can find a screenshot and an old file I uploaded showing the destructive capabilities of hardware acceleration.