You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding linked text box gives tiny and massive type

PeterAG

32 minutes ago, prophet said:

That's rather telling isn't it. I've never been a fan of that weird little handle.

It's probably fine when used by someone who knows what it does and how to use it properly, but it's probably safer in Designer (which lacks linked text frames) than in Publisher. It's also probably OK for some workflows in Publisher, as long as you only create linked scaled text frames by duplicating a scaled frame, or letting the system duplicate it for you.

It's the combination of linking and rescaling that is the hardest to deal with.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

I can confirm that this is logged with our developers, as we believe there should be indication that a 'scale' has been applied to a text frame and a way to reset this, without removing the text frame entirely or losing all other formatting.

I'll be sure to 'bump' this log for you now :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

4 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I can confirm that this is logged with our developers, as we believe there should be indication that a 'scale' has been applied to a text frame and a way to reset this, without removing the text frame entirely or losing all other formatting.

Thank you it's a real pain! Once that's done we only need converting a selection to a line in Designer.... 8-)

22 hours ago, prophet said:

I've never been a fan of that weird little handle.

My opinion: I don’t mind the handle, and in certain (admittedly rare) circumstances, I find it helpful. The problem I have with it is as many others have stated: no way to apply the same transformation numerically, and no way to see the current value for a selected text frame.

It seems to me the solution would be rather simple. The Transform Studio needs a field for content scaling or whatever we should call it. The value obviously exists under the hood, so it just needs to be exposed in the UI so we can see what it is set to and modify it if necessary.

If such a field existed, then supporting Peter Alan’s original question would have been easier (simulated response; not currently a real answer): “Make sure the content scaling for both frames is set to 100%. Select each frame and confirm the content scaling is 100% in the Transform Studio…”

31 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

The problem I have with it is as many others have stated: no way to apply the same transformation numerically, and no way to see the current value for a selected text frame.

Quite agree.

But I find the whole concept of the scaling handle too limiting. For framed text and picture frames, I can only scale from that one corner. That is quite a pain when that bottom right corner is the "important" one when it comes to position/alignment.

The fix for scaling a single picture frame by any corner is, of course, the absurd "group of one" technique. But I've found no alternative for "any corner scaling" of framed text or a group containing a framed text element.

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

That would be great to get this fixed!!! I spent a few days trying to fight this issue on a doc that I routinely use as a base, then update content. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the heck was going wrong every time I flowed to a 2nd page! Ended up deleting all the text frames involved (and content) and had to reset everything from scratch, which was a PITA.

Yes, if there were an indicator like the overflow "eye" to warn someone, that would be a huge help. Also like the Transform scale panel idea.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

On 10/28/2021 at 12:34 PM, nwhit said:

Yes, if there were an indicator like the overflow "eye" to warn someone, that would be a huge help. 

Would a deeper shade of the blue be sufficient? Or perhaps a different colour altogether.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...

SORRY, this is a Windows PC. I didn't see the forum name when I posted. But for some reason I can't delete comments.

So what did I do wrong in this video? I created a text frame. I didn't choose any handle. I just used the text frame creation tool. This should not be the default behavior!

Edited by Koshpeli
wrong forum I'm on a PC

1 hour ago, Koshpeli said:

SORRY, this is a Windows PC. I didn't see the forum name when I posted. But for some reason I can't delete comments.

So what did I do wrong in this video? I created a text frame. I didn't choose any handle. I just used the text frame creation tool. This should not be the default behavior!

I think this should be continued in the other topic you created, to avoid confusion.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

OK - I am seeing exactly the same thing. I have jumped ship (help!) from InDesign to Publisher as my old ID version will not run on Mac OS Big Sur. I know what I am doing - I have been creating docs and books for years on ID. So, in Publisher, I have a series of linked text frames set to a particular Baseline setting. If I paste in new text (either plain text from Text edit or pasted in without formatting), existing text is bumped ot the next frame. But - my preset parameters (Avenir, 9pt medium) change to 1.1pt (very small). If I delete and backspace, the point size in the previous frame jumps to 75pt - sometimes bigger. I am so pleased to have an app I can buy, rather than subscribe to, but I have a publishing schedule to keep to here. WTF? If anyone would like a video, I can do that - it's my line of business! Publisher is good in many ways but these dumb things make me bang my head on the desk.

Too small.png

Too big.png

Roger Shufflebottom

www.avid-companion.co.uk

OK - now I have bitten the bullet, copied all the text out (formatting? Oh, well). Created new text frames and pasted the text back in. When I try to drop back the 10 graphic images I'd had earlier (all with text wrap applied), they do not affect the text. No wrapping. WTFFFFing F? Oh, look, my new frame has 'Ignore Text wraps' checked. Why? Pass the hemlock, darling.

Roger Shufflebottom

www.avid-companion.co.uk

This is the problem that they are trying to fix. The default is this whereas it shouldn't be! Create new empty text frames appears to solve it. I'd like Text styles to overwrite  too. I import styles and end up with several versions of the same style. Its a good product just has a few quirks.

Here's a Q on new frames. It looks to me that a new frame inherits the parameters of the last frame that was made ... stroke, inset, etc etc. This may suit some folk but not me. Is there a preference that can toggle between inherited and default text frame parameters? I have had a look. Thanks.

Roger Shufflebottom

www.avid-companion.co.uk

1 minute ago, rogershuff said:

Is there a preference that can toggle between inherited and default text frame parameters?

No.

But with the Frame selected, you might try clicking the Revert Defaults button in the Toolbar, or using Edit > Defaults > Revert from the menu.

image.png.e5cc4430a0d5102fdee4a0db405e7416.png

This seems like an interesting "catch-22" for the developers. Users complain when tools don't remember settings:

• Why doesn't the Crop Tool remember the preset I used?
  • Why doesn't File > Export remember some change I made to the settings?

But on the other hand, they complain when the tools do remember settings:

• Why did this Text Frame use the same settings as my last Text Frame?

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

just yesterday i also had this bug in the body text, drove me crazy (after i had already struggled with the very bad table settings).  
Here is a test file and a video in which this is still the case. With a completely new document (new text without styles) the error no longer occurs.

Oh, just seen, that a blank A4 Doc with a bit Text need 1,4mb? Wow.

test.afpub

Looking at the video at about the 10 second mark you have a new text frame with the tiny text in it. What I would do is delete the text frame at the top of the page and make a new text frame and link that one.

The problem is most likely due to the first text frame having been resized with the outermost bottom left blue dot. That is a resize handle, It will make the text larger or smaller along with the frame. The text is obviously not 2.9 points in size in the top/first text frame, but could well be 2.9 points in the lower/second text frame.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

This text block has never been scaled. A text block was drawn up in the original document, dummy text was inserted, and the text style was assigned, nothing more.

Fortunately, everything is still dummy text and only placeholders have been set for the basic layout, so I have redone all the text blocks, but it must not be possible for a set text style to change from one text block to another. Too many dependencies make it incomprehensible, and it is nonsense that a text block also defines a text style. 

2 hours ago, 3joern said:

and the text style was assigned, nothing more.

In your attached document there is no applied text style.

You mention "the original document" Was there another document involved with this problem? Or is the attached document (test.afpub) "the original document"?

On 12/23/2021 at 7:45 PM, Old Bruce said:

You mention "the original document" Was there another document involved with this problem? Or is the attached document (test.afpub) "the original document"?

hi, I copied the text block (which came from an IDML) and was causing these problems to see if the problem persists, even after deleting all the text styles the problem still persists.
I find it very irritating that there are textbox styles and normal paragraph/character formats that are changed by the textbox styles. At some point there are too many dependencies and it is no longer possible to find or solve problems.
When I simply used a new text block, the problem was gone. However, in many cases this is a very high effort and if the normal paragraph formats/character formats had top priority (as I actually think they do) there would no longer be problems as described here.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

4 hours ago, MiWe said:

See my post 46 ...

Better if you give us a pointer, otherwise that's hard to find. You can click the "..." icon at the top of a post, then choose Share to get the URL for a post.

-- Walt
PC: