You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD does not recognize width and height after rotating shape

Why does AD not update dimensions size after I rotate the shape? If I create a shape that is 3 inches wide by 8 inches tall and I then rotate 90 degrees and it is now 3 inches tall and 8 wide, the transform palette still reads this shape as a 3x8 object? I think the standard should be that the app updates this shape to the correct size after rotation and even as I rotate to a random degree.

I think you´re rotating using the gesture? The rotate canvas functionality? 

This not meant so actually rotate the image. It´s just for viewing and working purposes. The original image orientation stays untouched.

You´ve to rotate the canvas (Document > Rotate)

• Staff

The transform panel shows the transform of the selection rect.  For a single object, that is the transform being applied.  So, shear and rotation is applied after the height and width are defined.  This lets you adjust the size of the object in the same terms as it adjusted on spread.  It also means that transforms are not destructive - they can be undone by correcting the components without distorting the object.  Without this, you would have to manually undo any rotation or shear before sizing an object, then reapply your rotation and shear, otherwise adjusting size can add or affect shear for rotated objects.  It would also be impossible to accurately removed shear from an object that was not spread aligned.

If you Reset the Selection Box, you will see that the selection box is now spread aligned, and the Width and Height show the aligned sizes of the object.

Also, if you look at the selection box on the spread, the top handle shows which way up the object is.  This defines the concept of Height and Width for the object.  It only the height and width in spread terms if the selection box is spread aligned (and rotated).

This is all working as intended.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 3 months later...

I would like to invite the forum members to shed a little light on this again. This was posted by me last year asking why I can't get an updated "size" of the object in the transform panel. In other words I have a simple rectangle in the video and then I rotate it, the transform panel then DOES NOT reflect this. I tried this on other apps like Graphic and they seem to update the transformation even in realtime the size and angle. For some reason I was given a very long answer that's way over my head. Please help as I see this simple request as a standard practice.

…I rotate it, the transform panel then DOES NOT reflect this …

It shows the rotation visually and mathematically. Sorry, we cannot understand what you are missing. Perhaps it is OK for you if you just group the shape temporarily? HTH Other apps are not AD.

Personally.....

If I have an oval that's taller than wide and rotate it onto it's side, I don't consider that a new oval that is wider than tall.

It's still the former... just pointing in a different direction (as indicated by the "head" handle).

In 3D we call this local coordinates vs world coordinates. 

The transform panel does give you plenty of feedback. It shows the rotation angle and the visual representation (the little squares) shows orientation graphically. (edit: as oval said  :) )

I would like to invite the forum members to shed a little light on this again. This was posted by me last year asking why I can't get an updated "size" of the object in the transform panel.

Like Oval & JimmyJack, I don't consider a graphic object's size changed if it is rotated (or skewed). They are transforms applied to it, but as in the mathematical sense of the word they do not change its essential properties. As Ben said, this interpretation allows users to 'undo' these transform at any time in the transform panel, something I would not want to give up, regardless of what other apps do.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Like Oval & JimmyJack, I don't consider a graphic object's size changed if it is rotated (or skewed). They are transforms applied to it, but as in the mathematical sense of the word they do not change its essential properties. As Ben said, this interpretation allows users to 'undo' these transform at any time in the transform panel, something I would not want to give up, regardless of what other apps do.

This is the part that I don't get when you and Ben has already said, allow users to undo. In what sense do you mean? Just going back in history is the ultimate undo is it not? What is the interpretation you speak of ? A simple example would benefit me greatly to backup what everyone is saying. Sorry to be so hard headed in this one! But hey if I don't know I don't know!

Yes, going back in history is the ultimate undo, but it is a "nuclear" solution that wipes out everything done after that point. That rarely if ever is what I want to do just to reset some object to its original rotation or skew angle, or to some other value(s) at some point in the design process.

As it is, the transform panel shows the relative rotation and/or skew applied to the original object, so for example it is easy to change either or both to some other value relative to the original ones. It updates in real time as you rotate or skew in the workspace, so you can see that, & if you prefer, you can change the rotation and/or skew values in the transform panel, so that (for instance) setting either or both to zero returns them to the original angles, all without affecting anything else in the document.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7