You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Publisher] Setting grid (columns and rows) structure

Hej! Hope you're doing well.

I do not often make any documents, but I want them to look nice. And that's why I like the approach like Publisher do when you can set document structure. I read some articles about the topic and they said that I should set some basic things like number of columns, number of rows and size (hight) of the line. And most of the articles shows me as an example a picture where the height of the line is exact hight of the column/row spacing.

But... I just can get that to be precise! Okay, I set up margins to fit line hight, but still can get rows to fit height of the line! There's screenshot attached — that's how I try to fit A4 paper.

Anyway, is there, maybe, some secrete knowledge to set up the grid that will look nice in most of cases?

Снимок экрана 2021-10-26 в 22.58.15.png

I spent a lot of time reading up on and setting spreads, page margins (I don’t use equal ones), bleed, font selection, layout grids, assets, text styles, master pages and more recently baseline grid.

I still tweak my designs but I have a basic template that works for my needs.

In terms of layout I googled a lot of good practice guides, the vast majority are not Affinity specific and that is fine as it’s not important here.

On 10/26/2021 at 6:03 PM, EEvgeniy said:

Anyway, is there, maybe, some secrete knowledge to set up the grid that will look nice in most of cases?

If you were thinking of a classic design grid, I have to disappoint you - Publisher can't do that (Indesign can). In the vertical you have to create the grid manually.

Gestaltungsraster.jpg.058596c849d87b502ecc28ce20fe93e8.jpg

Thanks to DeepL.

14 hours ago, Palatino said:

If you were thinking of a classic design grid, I have to disappoint you - Publisher can't do that (Indesign can). In the vertical you have to create the grid manually.

Gestaltungsraster.jpg.058596c849d87b502ecc28ce20fe93e8.jpg

It took a while to set up layout guides but it's not a task I’ve had to repeat so not a big issue for me. The ability to set coloured guides would be nice.