You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In Memoriam "The Voice Of F1"

sacboi

owstVVkZ?format=png&name=small

As an avid fan of Formula 1 racing, I practically grew up listening to the great man's commentary alongside his hilarious Murray'isms

"Unless I'm very much mistaken... and yes I am very much mistaken,"
"And now excuse me while I interrupt myself"
"The first four cars are both on the same tyres"
"Tambay's hopes, which were absolutely nil before, are absolutely zero now"
"I imagine that the conditions in those cars today are totally unimaginable"
"With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go".

Including this TV commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93igduisgzY

Over the intervening months since his passing earlier in the year, I've been off and on developing this drawing in AD as a personal tribute.

1996_F1_Williams_Final.png

EDIT:
Please take note that the elaborate Rothman's badge either side of the front wing and back of the foreground figure, is free stock vectorized content. It's inclusion is simply due too the intricate calligraphy that I was unable to replicate accurately although all remaining elements of the drawing is my work. 

A magnificent drawing, @sacboi, but you might want to correct the typos in the accompanying text.

exiting pit lane -> exiting the pit lane

it’s inaugural -> its inaugural

as Australia’s, then new -> at Australia’s then new

too take out the -> to take the

Constructors Title -> Constructors’ Title

Driver’s Championship -> Drivers’ Championship

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Smee Again recall being track side over the entire 5 day event that year which I remember was a mix of stinking hot mid 30°C weather throughout plus heaving crowds every day, side shows and an overall pervading smell of high octane fuel... basically a carnival like atmosphere but my abiding memory was the first time hearing live an earsplitting scream of a V10 F1 engine topped out, just meters away hurtling past on the back straight. Not like now with these current gen hybrids they're just too damn quiet, like elevator music to a stack of Marshall amps at an AC/DC concert, no flipping comparison at all... 

@Alfred coupled with making those text spelling and grammar corrections, also decided to tweak the drawing a bit, slight color correction here and there together with again utilizing the G'MIC filter plugin for GIMP to suggest a more prominent kind of 'heat haze' effect - Deformations > Textured Glass or trying to capture something as close to the reference I'd initially sourced for this project.