You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just upgraded to new version of Photo and 2 crashes in the last few hours, lost hours of work!

Bynah

A few hours ago I upgraded to the latest version. I am using a Macbook Pro Mid 2012 Yosimite 10.10.5. Two times in the last few hours the program crashed. I was using switching to the eraser tool and the wheel of doom started spinning. The first time it auto saved my work. This time I was not so fortunate. I lost about 3 hours of very tedious work. 😪 Not sure if I like this upgrade. Nothing has happened like this to me thus far. Can I switch back to the last version? The new one is 1.10.3  I don't know why this happened. I think the first time I had given it 2 quick commands. This time either I was adjusting the size of the eraser brush or just starting to use it. Can't remember exactly. I was so traumatized by all that lost work. Is there any way to get it back? Yes, I should have saved it. I wish there was an auto save feature. Also, all my history is lost as well. When it reopens it opens with no history! Can anything be done to change that?

• Staff

Hi Bynah,

There is an auto save feature in the app but sometimes the can crash in such a way that no file can be recovered. If you purchased the app from us then you can roll back to previous versions using the below link however if you purchased it via the Mac App Store then there is no way to roll back I'm afraid.

https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/macos/photo/1/

Before you roll back however could you please provide a copy your latest crash log by following the below guide? This should allow me to look into this issue further.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98904-faq-where-to-find-crash-reports/

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:41 PM, Callum said:

if you purchased it via the Mac App Store then there is no way to roll back I'm afraid.

As I pointed out in another thread... there is another way if you use Time Machine.

IMHO every Mac user should have it turned on, even if they have separate backup/archival systems (as I do).  In the case of Bynah and using a MacBook Pro, ironically, the backups would probably be on the Mac itself, as portables store the most recent backups locally... space permitting.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)