You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Apps interface (menus, prefs, others) hover glitch

Greg dJ

This affects Designer, Photo and Publisher but I first found it in Designer so I decided to post it here.

1. Are you using the latest release version? - Yes; issue first noticed in 1.10.1, still exists with 1.10.3
  2. Can you reproduce it? - Yes, always.
  3. Does it happen for a new document? - Yes, new/old documents and when no document open.
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)? - Windows 10 Home v 21H1
  •    Is hardware acceleration (in Preferences > Performance) ON or OFF ? (and have you tried the other setting?) - On, yes have tested Off, no difference
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen) - Hovering mouse pointer over menu items, studio tools, preference settings, other interface elements initially and intermittently causes them to disappear, reappear, or text to appear distorted within its original space.
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did). - e.g. open Designer, hover File menu ('File' disappears); or, open Preferences, access General, pass mouse pointer over items (see screenshot of typical results).
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video. - Attached.
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers. - Fontbase installed but whether running or not, issue occurs.
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware) - Would be hard to precisely diagnose what/when system change (s/w install/uninstall, updates, etc.) might coincide with issue emerging, I don't use Affinity software daily and perhaps a week or more went by between me not experiencing this and then it starting to happen.

If there is some cache or other common Affinity files I should delete, please advise. Or other promising troubleshooting steps to try. Thanks in advance!

prefs.jpg

6 hours ago, Greg dJ said:

This affects Designer, Photo and Publisher but I first found it in Designer so I decided to post it here.

1. Are you using the latest release version? - Yes; issue first noticed in 1.10.1, still exists with 1.10.3
  2. Can you reproduce it? - Yes, always.
  3. Does it happen for a new document? - Yes, new/old documents and when no document open.
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)? - Windows 10 Home v 21H1
  •    Is hardware acceleration (in Preferences > Performance) ON or OFF ? (and have you tried the other setting?) - On, yes have tested Off, no difference
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen) - Hovering mouse pointer over menu items, studio tools, preference settings, other interface elements initially and intermittently causes them to disappear, reappear, or text to appear distorted within its original space.
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did). - e.g. open Designer, hover File menu ('File' disappears); or, open Preferences, access General, pass mouse pointer over items (see screenshot of typical results).
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video. - Attached.
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers. - Fontbase installed but whether running or not, issue occurs.
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware) - Would be hard to precisely diagnose what/when system change (s/w install/uninstall, updates, etc.) might coincide with issue emerging, I don't use Affinity software daily and perhaps a week or more went by between me not experiencing this and then it starting to happen.

If there is some cache or other common Affinity files I should delete, please advise. Or other promising troubleshooting steps to try. Thanks in advance!

Hello @Greg dJ and welcome to the forums.

Have you running software described here in this thread?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff

Hi @Greg dJ,

As Komatos has suggested, I believe this issue is caused by ASUS Sonic / ASUS GPU Tweak III / MSI Nahimic.

Please disable / remove these apps from your PC and you should find this no longer occurs :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hello all,

I just installed the latest update on a Win 10 system and I am also getting this bug. I looked over the third party list of apps with known issues but do not have any of them installed. Everything that @Greg dJ listed in his first post is pretty much the exact same for me including the posted image. Video attached.

1 hour ago, hummboxx said:

I just installed the latest update on a Win 10 system and I am also getting this bug. I looked over the third party list of apps with known issues but do not have any of them installed.

That does look like Nahimic, which you may have even without the applications installed. You need to look at the list of running services to find it, sometimes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi, all. Thanks for the input. I believe the issue had mainly to do with the Nahimic Service, which I have disabled on my system. I also uninstalled Affinity programs and reinstalled them, but I can demonstrate that it is the Nahimic Service because restarting this service reproduces the problem immediately, and stopping it eliminates the problem. Time will tell if I find unintended issues otherwise with this service disabled.

nahimic.jpg

1 hour ago, Enoch Aguirre said:

it is necessary to know why there is this conflict of the Affinity applications with the Nahimic service which is only a set of drivers to improve the audio experience.

Why? It should suffice to know that it does. Or if you're really interested, to do a web search for nahimic causing video problems in windows applications and see all the other places it's causing problems for other applications, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Why, is a good question to ask the developers of nahimic. It's their software that's interfering and causing problems with a lot of programs.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 2 months later...

Alternatively, you can disable Nahimic in the specific application the problem is occurring. 

1. Open the file below as administrator in notepad. I

"C:\ProgramData\A-Volute\DellInc.AlienwareSoundCenter\Modules\ScheduledModules\Configurator\BlackApps.dat"

If yours is not a Dell device, no worries, just google "Nahimic blacklist - <your brand here>" and you'll be able to locate the file.

2. Add the executable name for the applications you use at the begging of the file (one per line):

Photo.exe
Designer.exe
Publisher.exe

Just restart the service (or the machine) and you are done. Worked like a charm.