You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.10.3 is broken on Mac 10.14.6. How can I downgrade??

I updated today to AP 1.10.3 and now I can't use it anymore. It's menus don't work, and show weird color lines exploding around the screen, and the menu never appears. It even happens on MacOS menu-bar links outside the app, when the app is open. I am on MacOS 10.14.6.

Can I downgrade AP, by just copying the app from a backup of my drive, cloned before the update? 

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 8.24.05 AM.jpg

• Staff

Hi @tex882,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

Our team have tested this internally on 10.14.6 and we're not experiencing the issue showed in your screenshot.

I understand your menus do not work, but I'd like to know your Performance settings if possible. If you use CMD & , (comma) you should see the Preferences dialog open, are you then able to select Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here?

Do you have a custom/non-standard ICC profile applied to your monitor, through your OS settings?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan, Thanks for helping. 

I'm sending photos from my phone cam, since screenshots on the mac fail to show just how bad it really is. 

Also sending my Performance settings in the app, and macos display settings.

I did downgrade to 1.10.1, by copying the app from a backup. But still.. something's not right here.  

IMG_7851.jpg.9da07e95bb09ce15cc089c9547236d12.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 11.32.05 AM.jpg

IMG_7852.jpg

IMG_7853.jpeg

While Dan C has his morning coffee and coco pops, can you uncheck hardware acceleration and restart Affinity Photo.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@firstdefence Wow great tip! THANK YOU. Actually.. it wasn't the "Hardware Acceleration" checkbox.. seems that's ok to be on, as I had it. Rather, it was the "Use only integrated GPU" checkbox.. I had it off, but apparently it needs to be ON. So maybe this is more a hardward issue.. with older macs (mine is a Late-2013 MacBook Pro 16"), rather than MacOS 10.14.6.

In any case, the issue is resolved, thanks to your suggestion to test around those checkboxes. Thanks very much!! 

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.56.37 AM.jpg

• Staff

Many thanks for the screenshots provided and for letting us know of the solution you've found!

I'll be sure to log all this information with our team here, so that we can continue to test this issue and work towards a fix :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

14 minutes ago, Herman Terhorst said:

After the latest update 1.10.3 Affinity Photo is useless: multiple crashes, no exporting, no developing from RAW, etc. etc. a complete disaster ! (Windows 10)

If adjusting your hardware-related settings doesn’t help, you’ll have to wait for a fix if you’re using the Microsoft Store version of the app but you can downgrade if you have the Affinity Store version.

https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

@Herman Terhorst I can see you have created 2 posts regarding this issue, one in a Questions thread regarding macOS rendering and one in the macOS bug section of the forums.

If you need support for Windows 10 & the Affinity apps, can you please create a separate post in the correct section of the forums, so our team can investigate this further for you?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/78-photo-bugs-found-on-windows/

Many thanks in advance :)

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for the screenshots provided and for letting us know of the solution you've found!

I'll be sure to log all this information with our team here, so that we can continue to test this issue and work towards a fix :)

I'm a big fan of Affinity Photo and Designer, so I'm glad we figured it out, and so quickly. Thanks again. 

Unfortunately the solution doesn't work for me:
- Macbook Pro Retina 2012 (first one)
- OS 10.14.6
Exactly the same appearance as had tex882.
The menu is OK when AP is freshly opened, as soon as I open an image I'm paralysed by flashing stripes in triangles with menu text flying around.
I managed to open the mobile shot without too much disturbance, but some artefacts are in the menu. Unusable so far.

Where is 1.10.4? its release is announced, but Apple has still only 1.10.3 since last Monday.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-29 um 16.39.03.jpg

13 minutes ago, tymcat said:

Where is 1.10.4? its release is announced, but Apple has still only 1.10.3 since last Monday.

It will take a while for Apple to verify it for the App Store, but the update was released for those of us who bought direct from Serif a couple of hours ago.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

• Staff
21 minutes ago, tymcat said:

Awaiting approval on the Mac App Store. It will be released as soon as Apple approve it, then it takes a while to roll out worldwide, but normally appears in your updates in the first24-48 hours

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I just hope the bug was already desinfected then.
But for now - I have work to do over the weekend, how can I downgrade?
Someone mentioned above that an earlier copy from timemachine didn't work. I would rather have to install from scratch, but I don't know where to get it from.

26 minutes ago, tymcat said:

I just hope the bug was already desinfected then.
But for now - I have work to do over the weekend, how can I downgrade?
Someone mentioned above that an earlier copy from timemachine didn't work. I would rather have to install from scratch, but I don't know where to get it from.

If you have the Mac App Store version you can only downgrade via Time Machine, but you can download a trial copy of the Affinity Store version from here:

https://affin.co/phototrial

Alfred spacer.png

App Store 1.10.4 released. De- and reinstalled AP completely with all affiliated files - nope, same as before.
I didn't keep time machine backup of programs since they usually are available at all time...

The only difference to the shown above preset panel is - my accelleration machine isn't Intel IRIS but Intel HP Graphics 4000 (Metal)

1 hour ago, tymcat said:

Does anybody have a pre 1.10.3 installation dmg?

As I mentioned yesterday:

18 hours ago, Alfred said:

If you have the Mac App Store version you can only downgrade via Time Machine, but you can download a trial copy of the Affinity Store version from here:

https://affin.co/phototrial

If you’re already using the retail version from the Affinity Store, you can uninstall it and replace it with any of the older versions available via the links on the following page:

https://store.serif.com/update/macos/photo/1

Alfred spacer.png

15 minutes ago, tymcat said:

Is there a way to switch?

No. You would need to repurchase, or all you can get is a 10-day trial.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No. You would need to repurchase, or all you can get is a 10-day trial.

Another reason to leave Apple - but after over 30 years it's a hard step.
I'll stick for now to the trial version and hope Serif finds the bug soon - there are several hints where to look. ->

- trigger in menu
- only when image is open
- artefacts overlap when you move through the menu but disappear when you open prefs
- it affects all open programs up to quitting AP
- fast revolving color stripes (judging by the difference what you see and what a screenshot keeps)
- it's pink, afaik the single micro-second screenshot strip is transparent or checkered
- when triggered several times, the overlapping artefact remnants become brighter - orange or yellow to white
- affects in my case a MBP 15' retina 2012/13 and OS 10.14.6 (and windows??)

7 hours ago, tymcat said:

Intel HP Graphics 4000 (Metal)

I just checked on my Mojave test partition and can confirm this issue with all three Affinity 1.10.4 apps.
MacBookPro 9,1 (mid-2012 non-retina), Intel HD Graphics 4000, Metal active.

The artifacts disappear after the document has been closed.
Switching to OpenGL fixes the issue.

7 hours ago, tymcat said:

Another reason to leave Apple

Affinity licensing model has nothing to do with Apple. Some software vendors will give you a cross license if you want to leave the Apple Store. But Serif doesn't do that, and it's their business decision.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

10 minutes ago, loukash said:

checked on my Mojave test partition

For the record: no problems on a Catalina partion (or on El Capitan, for that matter) using the very same MacBook.
So this seems ultimately a Mojave issue.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

6 minutes ago, loukash said:

For the record: no problems on a Catalina partion

… aaand for the record: no problems on High Sierra, same MacBook again…

3 hours ago, loukash said:

So this seems ultimately a Mojave issue.

From what I have read from Wikipedia & other sources (& possibly misunderstood) Apple quit updating drivers for the Intel HD Graphics 4000 when Mojave was released & there is no Apple-approved third party source for an updated driver, effectively making it impossible to update the driver.

Consequently, I wonder if there is anything Serif can do to fix this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7